X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help

I am in the national guard and I just recently got back home from basic and ait at FLW. I haven't done any drills with my unit yet but I have done the battle hand off with my rsp unit and met someone from my unit. The thing is that I am not really feeling like being in the military anymore. I have a real good job lined up and I just don't have it in me anymore to do the army life. What I am getting at is, what steps would I have to take to get out

Is this a serious question? So you haven't attended any drills with your unit and you don't like the military anymore? I hate to break it to you but the easiest way to get out it to show up to drill when you are supposed to, do your job, and finish your contract. I know plenty of people on my unit who don't want to be there anymore and would make a lot more money outside of drill. They still show up and do their jobs. It's only 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks during the summer. It's not a huge commitment.

Comment

Originally posted by jaydez View Post
      It's only 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks during the summer. It's not a huge commitment.
      I really wish people would stop saying that, for FY 2014, I count 9 week days that I need to take off work. Most are Fridays, this is on top of AT which is 2 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by dutchpatrick View Post
        I really wish people would stop saying that, for FY 2014, I count 9 week days that I need to take off work. Most are Fridays, this is on top of AT which is 2 weeks.
        @dutchpatrick: Yes, due to OPTEMPO, some drills have become more than just Sat/Sun. the INF BN I'm attached to has just taken on a HRF mission so I have a MUTA 6 every drill this year besides January, AND a 3 week AT. However the bottom line jaydez was trying to make is that "not feeling like being in the military" isn't a good reasoon to get out. We CHOSE to join, and all currently service know that we are a country still at war. Talk to your CoC (Chain of Command) and work it out with your employer if it's a problem.

@skorp18: You joined for a specific reason, what was it? If it was to get a better job, maybe being in the Army helped you get that. If it was for an education, the Army pays for it. My point is the Guard may hinder you "one weekend a month and 2 weeks in the summer," but the benefits you get from are great. It's not easy to just say "I want out" and they let you go. I tell all my Soldiers who tell me they want out the same thing; The fastest way to a 100% civilian life is honoring your contract and not re-upping. No matter the route you choose to try to get out, make sure you have a GOOD reason to leave. Most Soldiers who leave thinking they just don't want to do it anymore end up wanting back in... and getting back in now is harder than it was before.

I'm not trying to insult you but in my opinion, having "a real good job lined up" isn't the right reason. What if something happens and you don't get the job? What if you got fired, or if you quit that job voluntarily? Don't close off your options because of a short sighted decision.

/steps off soapbox./

Comment

Before you do anything dramatic, you may wish to troll this forum, and read the dozens of messages from people that did what you want to do, and now regret it deeply. It should give you pause, and encourage you to consider the implications of your actions.

Comment

You can still take that great job you have lined up, while staying in the Guard. For myself, I work in an office all month long, but once a month, I get the chance to put on a uniform again and go be a Soldier. Also, don't judge life in the Guard based on Basic and AIT. Two different worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by The Iambic Pen View Post
              You can still take that great job you have lined up, while staying in the Guard. For myself, I work in an office all month long, but once a month, I get the chance to put on a uniform again and go be a Soldier. Also, don't judge life in the Guard based on Basic and AIT. Two different worlds.

I feel like I tell Soldiers this every day. Officers coming out of BOLC too. They have to see it on their own I guess.

Comment

Working...
              X