Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilian Employment/Guard Help

Hi All,

I have a quick question and would like to see what you all have to say. Please reply with regulations or such.

Basically I am in kinda of a financial crunch, Currently I am an E-5P with over 6 years of service and I have been offered a contract job overseas for a year. I have informed my chain of command, and they are frowning on it. Saying that they could say that I am AWOL and such if I go OCONUS.

Is this legal?
    I mean do they expect me to live under a bridge or be homeless, for 2 days out of a month? I have never missed a drill nor failed a pt nor been flagged.

I have offered to do my drills up front or come back every six months to do 2 weeks or even go ING. It seems like they are not budging.

So worst case scenario, can they stop me from going? What can I do? Can they stop me from going ING? I have tried contacting JAG, to do some research but they never answer their phones (how typical of AGR folks).

Please advise.

Thanks

Re: Civilian Employment/Guard Help

Yes it's legal. Although if push came to shove, most units will work with you vs doing the paperwork to separate you for being a non-participant.

Comment

Re: Civilian Employment/Guard Help

My state has only one full-time JAG, so you may be ringing a number with no one at the other end (particularly now with the budget stalemate in Congress).

It is in your interest to resolve this amicably (which you already know). You could raise this with your CSM, who may have insight; additionally, the IG can provide guidance.

Given what you've described, ING sounds like the most obvious solution.

Comment

Working...
      X