X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I do?

My name is PFC London and this will be my first post to the forum and it would be great to get some feedback. I have finished BCT and currently attending AIT at Fort Huachuca, AZ as a 15W or UAV operator and I would like some help thinking ahead. At the end of my training I will have around 104 college credits and will be almost 22 years old and have some questions about possible ROTC and SMP, OCS, and WOCS. The truth is I feel I'm way in over my head trying to decide on what road to take and would like to know if anyone is in the same position as me, what road you took, and if you fell I should make the same choice? I also plan on going to Airborne School and if this affects and of the programs above I would also be interested in knowing about that as well. Thanks and have a great day.

Re: What should I do?

What state did you join in?

Comment

Idaho sir

Comment

If you don't know where you're going, then any path will do.

You're asking what path to take, but you haven't told us where you want to go.

Comment

That's the thing, I'm not really sure where I want to go I know that being a 15W is a dream and being here at AIT is right where I need to be at this point in my life. When I think of the future I know that I want to do big things and that becoming a commissioned officer or being a warrant officer sounds like the path for me. And from the way you stated sir it sounds like any path will be a good path.

Comment

If you like being hands on with the UAVs and want to be an officer, be a Warrant Officer.

If you really like your UAV operator job and think you want to be an officer of any kind, I'd personally suggest you do a few years as a 15W and then try for WOCS. There are no regular commissioned officers that deal directly with UAVs, other than Military Intelligence guys who deal with their employment. That's my two cents.

Comment

150U - Tactical Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (TUAV) Operations Technician
              Link: http://www.nationalguard.com/150U-Ta...ons-Technician

Duties:
              Develops Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) requirements and identifies appropriate payloads and equipment to satisfy intelligence collection requirements.
              Coordinates airspace requirements and acts as the Guard liaison for all UAV missions.
              Identifies requirements for UAV collection and integrates UAV into collection strategies.
              Assists All-Source and Imagery Analysts with analysis of UAV data to satisfy priority intelligence requirements.
              Provides information to signal other collection equipment and assist targeting by reassigning coordinates of the UAV.
              Supervises UAV standardization and safety programs in accordance with all applicable guidance systems.
              Acts as advisor and subject matter expert for all UAV-related issues.

Minimum Prerequisites:
              Be a Sergeant (E-5) or above
              Be an Advanced Leaders Course (ALC) graduate
              Must be a high school graduate (or GED equivalent), U.S. citizen with a GT Score minimum of 110 and have less than 12 years Active Federal Service
              Hold Primary Military Occupational Specialty (PMOS) 15W or 15E
              Have at least one year of experience as a section chief or have supervisory experience as defined in Department of the Army pamphlet (DA Pam) 611-21. Supervisory experience must be documented in Noncommissioned Officer Evaluation Report (NCOER).
              Have a Secret Clearance. Applicants for Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) 150U. Applicants who do not possess a Secret Clearance must submit a request for a Secret Clearance through their local security office prior to submitting an application. A verification memorandum from the security office stating that the request has been submitted, and the date it was submitted, must be part of the packet.
              Enclose a written recommendation from a senior warrant officer (CW3 and above preferred) from within the applicant's organization, who holds the UAV warrant officer MOS. In organizations where no SWO in the correct MOS is available, a letter of recommendation from any senior WO can be substituted.

Preferred Qualifications (Minimum Plus):
              Have a minimum of three NCOERs, with one in a leadership position
              Possess an associate degree from an accredited college or university

Comment

OP,

what do you want to do in life? Do you want to be hands on and really know the equipment, the ins and outs of it all and a true expert. Or do you want to be a leader and and take on more of a mentor role. Moving up the ranks as an enlisted soldier you will have the opportunity to have a lot of hands on experience with the equipment while learning to lead as an NCO and senior NCO. You will have a direct affect on the troops daily and get to remain hands on with the equipment.

As a commissioned officer you will learn to lead soldiers and what it takes to run a platoon, then a company and a Battalion and so on. After LT you will have less hands on with the equipment and more of a planning role that looks out over the next few months and years and what it will take to keep your units trained and ready for the next mission. The impact of your decisions and planning will have less to do with your enlisted soldiers daily tasks and more to do with what direction they are going to be taking over the next few months and years. The more you move up the ranks, the less hands on you get with the tools that your soldiers use daily.

As a warrant officer, you get the best of both worlds to an extent. You will become an expert on the equipment and get hands on with it a lot. You will learn the leadership portion, but your planning side will usually be the 30 to 90 days out time frame. Both officers and enlisted will look to you as a warrant for your knowledge and input on your area of expertise. There is a lot of responsibility in maintaining your skills and ensuring that you are the most knowledgable person in the room.

They all have their pro's and con's. What you have to decide for yourself is what level of responsibility you want and how much of a leadership and mentoring roll you want. Hope this helps some.

Comment

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
                  If you like being hands on with the UAVs and want to be an officer, be a Warrant Officer.

If you really like your UAV operator job and think you want to be an officer of any kind, I'd personally suggest you do a few years as a 15W and then try for WOCS. There are no regular commissioned officers that deal directly with UAVs, other than Military Intelligence guys who deal with their employment. That's my two cents.
                  This guy wrote exactly what I would have told you.

Comment

Thank you to all those who replied back, I will have to think this over and now that I have the info I need my decision should be easier

Comment

Working...
                    X