X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone been to WLC at Shelby?

I'm leaving on Tuesday for WLC in Camp Shelby, MS. I'm a female E5 in the reserves.
    I've heard a ton of different things about WLC--varying degrees of freedom, homework, pt, etc.

Has anyone been to WLC recently (I'm going to the "new and improved" 18-day course) that can tell me what it was like for them? Were you free in the evenings? Were you allowed to keep your cell phone? Did you do pt every morning? How much home work did you have? What time did your day start and end? Did you spend the night in the field or were you shuttled back and forth? Were there any Ruck marches?

Thank you, I'm a bundle of nerves about this course for the past few months and any insight is appreciated!

Re: Anyone been to WLC at Shelby?

I was in the last cycle before the changes were implemented. Unless the entire thing has been re-vamped, you'll have your phone. We weren't free in the evenings. A lot of time in the bays. PT each morning was PRT, which you will lead at some point. PRT is basically stretching and a joke. Little to no homework other than putting together memorandums, award recommendations, CRM etc...We spent the night in "the field". This means we stayed in cooled tents on a COL. No ruck marches. Only one class run which was maybe a mile and a half tops. I know that the APFT as well as Land Nav has been added. Other than that and maybe a few other things, as long as you can search FM's and TM's in an ipad you'll be just fine.

Comment

I am going with you!! I am delaying packing right now by scouring the web trying to figure out what the heck to expect....
      I have heard so many different variations of the course, no clue what we are getting in to. I am a female E4 also in the Reserves. I just hope we don't get rained on in the field. I'm anxious about not knowing what to expect- you aren't alone there! I think once we arrive it won't be so bad, more fear of the unknown. Good luck!

Comment

Cpatrice, just relax. It is nothing but a thing.

I went through PLDC back in the day at Fort Dix. The weigh-in for us was done with a lot of latitude (A Sergeant Major squeezing our waist with the tape ensuring everyone passes). A PT test done to standard (yes, we had failures that were re-tested a week later in which some went home - an 11B did), PT instruction given in teams (meaning I had a partner and he did the stretches and I the exercises), STX lanes for the field, D&C and a two-man room. Yes, I almost failed land-nav. A former-Marine was my roommate and we both did the right thing and never walked the roads but got 2 out of 4 on our first try. The next day, I walked the roads and made 4 out of 4.

My active-duty BNCOC (ALC) was much more challenging. Here are some photos of me back in the day at PLDC (WLC).

Again, nothing but a thing and go enjoy.

Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; September 2nd, 2013, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Well the packing list says only 1 set of apfu's, so I doubt we'll have organized pt every morning.

I am extremely stressed about this. I'm not sure why. Mainly about pt--I can pass my pt test, but that's not saying much, as I only need 17 push ups and a 20:30 on my run. One of my battle buddies went to WLC recently (not at Shelby) and said that they had formation runs every day and if you fell out twice you got sent home!

I'm expecting to spend the first 2 weeks in the classroom, aside from the APFT on day 3. Then the last week in the field doing land nav and battle drills.

Comment

One set of PTs and formation runs everyday? Does not make sense to me.

The running pace probably won't be as fast so again just stay focused. You want to be an NCO, then you have to be prepared and act like one. Active duty WLC is one-month (not saying its harder) but if you put things like that in perspective; it lessens the stress.

Comment

Active duty WLC has weekends off.

One more question. Probably a dumb one: when I arrive should I be on ACU's or civilian clothing? I'm flying there, and the report day is just showing up and collecting linens and checking in.

Comment

Reporting instructions should be listed on your orders. I had to be in PTs on my first day for weigh-in and tape. I recall that I reported on a Saturday.

Comment

Travel in civilians, report in PTs (change prior to inprocessing.) Put your pts and a full ACU set in your carryon in case something tragic happens to your checked luggage.
                  Definitely bringing more than one set of pt's. Also, the welcome letter said to bring a full set of the winter APFU uniform as well. The main priority of the PRT is to teach the new standards and phases of the program and to implement the drill and ceremony of leading the formation. Don't stress too much about the running- if you can pass your pt test you will be able to keep up!
                  But why the heck are wool blankets listed on the packing list??

Comment

Originally posted by Cpatrice View Post
                    Travel in civilians, report in PTs (change prior to inprocessing.) Put your pts and a full ACU set in your carryon in case something tragic happens to your checked luggage.
                    Definitely bringing more than one set of pt's. Also, the welcome letter said to bring a full set of the winter APFU uniform as well. The main priority of the PRT is to teach the new standards and phases of the program and to implement the drill and ceremony of leading the formation. Don't stress too much about the running- if you can pass your pt test you will be able to keep up!
                    But why the heck are wool blankets listed on the packing list??
                    My unit didn't have winter IPFU's to issue me (also, it says "seasonal" next to them and its hardly the season).

They also didn't have a wool blanket for me, so I'm bringing a Snuggie. I can't bring what I don't have.

Thanks for the tip about the APFT's in the carry on--I'm gonna go do that right now.

Any idea what the barracks are like? 50 man bays?

SGT Miller

Comment

Timbercat- I emailed you

Comment

Originally posted by Timbercat View Post
                        Active duty WLC has weekends off.
                        I just talked to a recent WLC grad at my post today and he told me that they did not have any weekends off but the course is 22 days for them. So that is the latest AD news I heard about that.

Comment

My father went to PLDC back in the day when we lived at Bragg. Students were sent home on day one for not having the correct number of beads on the id tags. I gauged and prepared for a course similar to that. So it was pretty underwhelming in the department of difficulty.

To the author, report in PT's. You will be doing PRT each morning. You will lead PRT at least once. Here is what most of your days will consist of:

1. Wake up
                          2. PRT
                          3. Chow
                          4. Shower/Change
                          5. Go to class
                          6. Break/March to lunch
                          7. Go back to class
                          8. Released to barracks
                          9. Study
                          10. Sleep

Comment

Been here about two weeks. I failed land nav and have to redo it tomorrow. =(

If I fail I get sent home. With only 3 days left to graduation. Ugh.

Comment

It happens. Stay focused and you will graduate. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X