X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pathfinder Question

This is a little unclear to me. Every source I've checked, including the Fort Benning WTC webpage says that Forward Observers (13F) are allowed into Pathfinder school. However, ATRRS neglects to put the 13F MOS on the list. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Pearce 13FL7; August 28th, 2013, 08:07 PM.

Re: Pathfinder Question

They specify certain MOSes but if your unit will send you and pay for it; then you are good to go.

Comment

Is this true for all schools Chief, or are we just talking about Pathfinder?

I always assumed you were bound by the MOS restrictions spelled out in ATRRS as well.

Comment

Originally posted by enceladus View Post
        Is this true for all schools Chief, or are we just talking about Pathfinder?

I always assumed you were bound by the MOS restrictions spelled out in ATRRS as well.
        Not with all schools but most. A school such as Pathfinder is MOS immaterial. But a school like EOCA (explosive ordnance clearance agent) is specific to 12B meaning only 12B's and maybe some 12C are allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by Pearce 13FL7 View Post
          This is a little unclear to me. Every source I've checked, including the Fort Benning WTC webpage says that Forward Observers (13F) are allowed into Pathfinder school. However, ATRRS neglects to put the 13F MOS on the list. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks in advance
          Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
          They specify certain MOSes but if your unit will send you and pay for it; then you are good to go.
          Originally posted by Explosive Hazard View Post
          Not with all schools but most. A school such as Pathfinder is MOS immaterial. But a school like EOCA (explosive ordnance clearance agent) is specific to 12B meaning only 12B's and maybe some 12C are allowed.
          Directly from ATRRS:
          Enlisted applicants must have a GT score of 100 or greater. (No waivers)

Pass the APFT within six months of the start date of the course and meet the Army height and weight standards IAW AR 600-9. A copy of DA Form 5500-R/5501-R (Body Fat Content Worksheet) must be attached to FC Form 4137 if the Soldier exceeds the height/weight screening tables. This worksheet is mandatory and the packet will not be accepted for processing without it.

All applicants must have passed a valid physical examination within five (5) year, have a minimum profile serial 111121. Applicants cannot be on profile (except a shaving profile or an adjusted hearing profile approved by medical personnel) and cannot have a speech impediment.

Assigned to or en route to a billet requiring pathfinder skills (must be annotated on ORB/ERB).

PFC - SFC in the following MOS: 11B, 11C, 11Z, 12B, 13B, 13F, 15Q, 19D, 68W, 88M, 89B, 92F, 92R, and 92Y. Other MOS's considered for training with a memorandum of justification signed by an O-5 in the Chain of Command.

Commissioned: IN, AR, EN, FA, AV, QM, LG, TC. (2LT-CPT): assigned to or enroute to a billet coded F7 or 5Q position.
          Last edited by SF Hunter; August 29th, 2013, 10:53 AM.

Comment

We had 31Bs when I was an MP with the 101st go to Pathfinder. When I went Warrant (SC); I thought I no longer had a chance to go Pathfinder but my fellow Warrant buddy who is a Ranger and knew many people that are not on the above lists who were able to get Pathfinder. Again, if your CoC approves it, your schools NCO will enter you in ATRRS for the class. He wanted me to go with him in four months but I am PCSing.

Comment

We had 31Bs when I was an MP with the 101st go to Pathfinder. When I went Warrant (SC); I thought I no longer had a chance to go Pathfinder but my fellow Warrant buddy who is a Ranger and knew many people that are not on the above lists who were able to get Pathfinder. Again, if your CoC approves it, your schools NCO will enter you in ATRRS for the class. He wanted me to go with him in four months but I am PCSing.
              What actual military purpose is served by an MP being Pathfinder qualified????

IMHO, the school has no real bearing anymore, since about the Korean War and just continues for tradition sake and to get a "COOL" badge. Hence the term "Badgefinder" School.

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post

IMHO, the school has no real bearing anymore, since about the Korean War and just continues for tradition sake and to get a "COOL" badge. Hence the term "Badgefinder" School.
                When you are stationed with the 101st, there are many schools afforded to all MOSes. I was offered SPIES/FRIES as an MP and other MPs earned Sapper Tabs at FLW. Many MPs have Pathfinder.

But your question needs to be address to the leadership that sent that Soldier and even to this day; many soft MOSes are getting schools that do not fit the initial criteria. When I returned from deployment last year, a fueler that was on rear-D was able to get air assault and pathfinder while everyone was deployed.

Comment

Keep in mind Chief that alot of schools are given to soldiers as awards. It's not only a cool badge, but promotion points as well that could give them the boost they need on E-5 and above boards. I don't qualify for hardly anything but DS School, but you better believe I'm begging to get in.

Comment

When you are stationed with the 101st, there are many schools afforded to all MOSes. I was offered SPIES/FRIES as an MP and other MPs earned Sapper Tabs at FLW. Many MPs have Pathfinder.

But your question needs to be address to the leadership that sent that Soldier and even to this day; many soft MOSes are getting schools that do not fit the initial criteria. When I returned from deployment last year, a fueler that was on rear-D was able to get air assault and pathfinder while everyone was deployed.
                    Originally posted by Zero259 View Post
                    Keep in mind Chief that alot of schools are given to soldiers as awards. It's not only a cool badge, but promotion points as well that could give them the boost they need on E-5 and above boards.
                    You are so correct and none of it is right. The CoC signing off on orders/schools for those who have no legitimate reason or purpose for them is just good 'ole boy favors. Plus, allot of it is to fill the slots in order to legitimize the school/course as well. Pathfinder should have gone away a long time ago.

Soap box away...
                    Last edited by SF Hunter; August 29th, 2013, 11:42 AM.

Comment

People would want to go to schools a whole lot less if we did things like the corps and didn't have a badge on our uniform for each time we made our be properly.

Comment

You are so correct and none of it is right. The CoC signing off on orders/schools for those who have no legitimate reason or purpose for them is just good 'ole boy favors. Plus, allot of it is to fill the slots in order to legitimize the school/course as well. Pathfinder should have gone away a long time ago.

Soap box away...
                        Even more so when they are signing off for individuals who can't pass height/weight or the APFT and have zero chance of even passing those schools...

Comment

The sling load portion of the course is by far the most usefull, same with Air Assault. When I went to AAS that was the phase that lost the most students and to this day I still use some of that knowledge I learned. Another AAS qualed guy in my company was very close to doing a sling load op here in country but the vehicle they were trying to pull out exceeded the weight limit. However, the sparks rollers on the front did not and had I been there I would at least tried to get that slung. Oh well. So I would disagree with you about Pathfinder having no bearing anymore. Being able to set up drop zones for supplies and landing zones for helicopters is a great skill in remote parts of Afghanistan. Even for medivac knowing how a bird should approach, obstacle limits etc come in handy. If anything I would say there is too much redundancy between AAS, Pathfinder and SLICK. The Army really should collapse all three onto Pathfinder and call it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Explosive Hazard View Post
                            If anything I would say there is too much redundancy between AAS, Pathfinder and SLICK. The Army really should collapse all three onto Pathfinder and call it a day.
                            +1 AIRMOBILE!!!

Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; August 30th, 2013, 10:30 AM.

Comment

A buddy of mine has done Ranger, AAS and just completed Pathfinder. He didn't happen to mention redundancy at all. Said Pathfinder was tough, but more educational and less physical.

Comment

Working...
                              X