X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight School and a career as a pilot

Okay, I've been back from Basic for about two months (Just FYI, I'm a 11 Bravo). I report to my Unit for my first Drill next month. Soon I'm going to apply for College. I really want to do ROTC, but lately I've been flying a lot and have realized I love flying and would like to try to pursue a career as a pilot. My questions are:

How does flight school work in the National Guard?

Can you be a pilot as a Warrant Officer or Officer?

Are you able to choose what you fly, or is it "You're issued what you're issued" type of situation?

Does anyone know if Infantryman often become pilots?

If I think of anything, I'll add. Thanks in advance.

Re: Flight School and a career as a pilot

There's a proficiency test you must past for flight school. Just about any PX sells the book. You also need to pass an FAA Class 3 Physical.

You can be Warrant or Officer. You need to apply for WOCS or get your degree for OCS.

Should you choose Officer, depending on how well you do in BOLC will determine if you will get to be an Aviation Officer. The best get their first picks. After those slots are full, then everyone is reduced to their second or sometimes third choice.

Should you make it to flight school, the best get their choice of platform. Again once slots are filled, it's back to second and third choice.

I doubt infantrymen often become pilots. Not because they can't but because that's typically two very different types of people, but that's just my personal observation. So don't think I'm calling you dumb or anything like that. However, it is a regular occurence that people class into 11B when they really wanted to do something totally opposite of that, that I will say happens often.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero259 View Post
      There's a proficiency test you must past for flight school. Just about any PX sells the book. You also need to pass an FAA Class 3 Physical.

You can be Warrant or Officer. You need to apply for WOCS or get your degree for OCS.

Should you choose Officer, depending on how well you do in BOLC will determine if you will get to be an Aviation Officer. The best get their first picks. After those slots are full, then everyone is reduced to their second or sometimes third choice.

Should you make it to flight school, the best get their choice of platform. Again once slots are filled, it's back to second and third choice.

I doubt infantrymen often become pilots. Not because they can't but because that's typically two very different types of people, but that's just my personal observation. So don't think I'm calling you dumb or anything like that. However, it is a regular occurence that people class into 11B when they really wanted to do something totally opposite of that, that I will say happens often.
      Thank you, Sarn't.

Is there a big difference between Aviation Officers and Aviation Warrant Officers, besides rank?

And I think I read flight school is 1-2 years. If you're Guard, do you go straight though or do they break up the training?

Comment

Warrant Officers are technical experts, all they do is fly. They don't put up with the "BS" that follows the path of the Commissioned Officers. They generally don't hold any type of command position...althought I've occasionally seen CW2s-CW4s hold XO Positions.

As far as I know, you will go straight through flight school. There were WO1s and 2LTs that I never met at my previous assignment at 2nd-224th AVN because they were in flight school my entire time there.

Comment

The moderators created stickies on this a few months ago. Please use the search feature.

Here is the link http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...arrant-Officer

Comment

Aviators and Technical Warrant Officers are two different animals. My senior TAC at WOCS was a former 11B Ranger. I knew other grunts and combat arms troops that was accepted for flight warrant.

Again, look at those stickies since all of the information is answered in those threads.

Comment

Find me in this formation lol.

But here is a photo of my former senior TAC who is a CW4 now. On AD, you will find Warrants in Command slots (usually filling the slot until a CPT is found or away) and WO1s are now commissioned and have taken command of units.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                Find me in this formation lol.

But here is a photo of my former senior TAC who is a CW4 now. On AD, you will find Warrants in Command slots (usually filling the slot until a CPT is found or away) and WO1s are now commissioned and have taken command of units.
                My gut tells me two options, holding the guidon or the tall, kinda husky dude with glasses. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Blackman View Post
                  Okay, I've been back from Basic for about two months (Just FYI, I'm a 11 Bravo). I report to my Unit for my first Drill next month. Soon I'm going to apply for College. I really want to do ROTC, but lately I've been flying a lot and have realized I love flying and would like to try to pursue a career as a pilot. My questions are:

How does flight school work in the National Guard?

7 weeks of BOLC-B or WOBC, 3 Weeks of HOST & SERE, 22 weeks of Initial Entry Rotary Wing, then from 14-22 weeks in your Advanced Airframe.

Can you be a pilot as a Warrant Officer or Officer?

Either. WO slots for flight school are much easier to come by because there are typically more unit vacancies for WOs. RLO slots are hard, but do-able. Probalby much easier if you are in ROTC than if you had to beat the path in OCS like I did. Everyone flies the same amount of time until RLOs reach Captain, then their flight time decreases as they pick up more staff type jobs. WOs continue to fly their entire careers and track into a speciality field (instructor pilot, safety, maintenance test pilot, or tactical operations officer.). You either want to be a leader of Aviation operations (RLO) or an operator and system SME (WO), the choice is yours.

Are you able to choose what you fly, or is it "You're issued what you're issued" type of situation?

State dependent if we're talking National Guard. Not every state has the same airframes available. If you have your heart set on a particular airframe, you should research your state and the states around you that you'd be willing to commute to. I live in AL but because of airframe choice I chose TN. We have some in the unit from all over the country. Do keep in mind for your commute that you will have to keep up flight hours, which is going to require more than just one weekend a month.

Does anyone know if Infantryman often become pilots?

Can't really attest to that one. For RLOs, there probably isn't any set track record or statistics but if someone gets tired of ground pounding they could have that option.

If I think of anything, I'll add. Thanks in advance.
                  Officers can switch to AVN up until they junior CPTs. For WOs, AV is the one warrant MOS that does not require a specific feeder enlisted MOS so anyone that can pass the Class 1A flight physical and the SIFT can become one if they are chosen. Some states have an unofficial straight-to-warrant program with boards, similar to what active duty calls WOFT, but most states require you be MOS qualified in "something" before you take the WO route. Oh, and I might mention that WOs can later become RLOs, and RLOs can also revert to become WOs if they want to continue to fly.

Comment

Thank you all a lot. Answered all my questions!

Comment

Working...
                    X