X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• awol from guard?

I am in the army national guard. My ets is the end of october this year.
    I had a baby earlier this year. While pregnant I tried to get discharged and I was not approved, I was told the state was under strength to just get Dr's notes to excuse me from drill. I did not get any of the required counseling that I was supposed to when I notified the unit that I was pregnant. They actually didn't believe that I was pregnant for most of my pregnancy.
    I'm currently pregnant again and on bed rest. I have provided a Dr's note per their request. All of a sudden my Dr's note is not good enough. They told my husband (who is in the unit as well) that I am awol. Noone has contacted me about this and I have been in almost constant email contact with one of my nco's. They also know my phone number and where I live. This information has not changed in 3 years.
    I have 2 and a half months left on my enlistment. There are 2 drills left before my ets. I'm worried they're going to OTH discharge me before my ets for following my Dr's orders so I would lose my gi bill (my only source of income right now).
    Can they do that so close to my ets?
    It wouldn't surprise me if they tried but CAN they?

Re: awol from guard?

No such thing as AWOL while in drill status. AWOL is a term only used for SMs on active status.

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...highlight=awol

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...highlight=awol

Speak to your state's legal rep or call the number at the GI Rights hotline.

http://girightshotline.org/en/

Comment

Thank you for the gi rights hotline. I appreciate it.

Comment

It takes three drills to get kicked out. If you only have two left and have no other unexcused days then no they cant kick you out before ets.

Comment

This would be first absence, September's will be 2, October will be 3 then my ets is a few weeks after October's drill.

Comment

They are also threatening my husband that a statement of charges will be issued if I don't store my military gear at the armory by tomorrow...

Comment

IMHO, I think there's far more to your story then you posted but.....

After 9 missed UTAs (3 drill weekends) you can be discharged. These missed drills don't have to be in a row, they can be spread out over a year.

Yes, they can do an investigation and you can be financially liable for any equipment you still have. It'll eventually get taken out of your income tax return.

Get into AKO and go to your clothing record and see what you've actually got. Get this togethor and have your husband turn it in if you can't durring the week. This should take care of the bulk of what you signed for. If there's anything, have your husband get a copy of the hand reciept so you know what's left.

Call during the week and see what documentation you actually need to turn in for you being on bed rest. Get this turned in.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                IMHO, I think there's far more to your story then you posted but.....
                +1. As of late, I have been experiencing so much Soldiers that always feel their needs should come first before the Army and throw the "Army really does not take care of families" card but they truly do not comprehend the meaning of selfless service and the ultimate burden they place on their commands. I never had my shop at full capacity because of "personal issues".

I had one Soldier automatically expecting to have a day off due to a sick child because his spouse had to go to work and felt that Army leadership will understand that there is more leeway in the military compared to a civilian job when it comes to personal time and matters. So he presumed that it will always be ok to get off and have his spouse go to work. SMH.
                Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; August 3rd, 2013, 11:31 PM.

Comment

You can chose to think what you wish, there is nothing more than what I have told. I have no reason for me to lie or omit information.
                  As stated above, this drill would be the first unexcused I have had ever, in the whole 6 years, September would be #2, October would be #3.
                  This is more than staying at home with a sick child. This is concerning the health of my unborn child. I could not predict I would of been on bed rest. And now, with 2 and a half months left until my ets I could lose my benefits because my unit would rather me show up and work in the motor pool?
                  When it comes to losing this child and winding up in the hospital or going to drill, damn right I'm going to chose listening to my doctor.
                  They have ALL the information that they requested. They have documentation from 3 different doctors (both OB's that I see and my VA doctor). For some reason, all of a sudden, it is not good enough and now I'm "awol" and they want to issue a statement of charges for gear that they don't want me to turn in, they just want it stored in a locker at the other armory (its already in a locker at one of our unit's armories).
                  And they're going through my husband instead of contacting me about any of this.
                  This whole situation is frustrating and I don't really understand why any of it is happening.
                  Last edited by gracebb21; August 4th, 2013, 10:17 AM. Reason: spelling errors

Comment

Grace,

I was speaking in generalities and not referring to you. But based on your posts and what reality wrote, you will not receive a OTH or lose your benefits. Based on your remarks on your condition; you will not show up to drill but you will not be unexcused as well.

Comment

I understand you were speaking in generalities. I was not attacking you in any way, I am just beyond frustrated at the whole situation.
                      The other poster spoke up selfless service. I am sorry that some may see me as selfish for wanting to do what's right for the baby at this point in time.
                      I did my time, I served in iraq, I earned my gi bill ans to have it threatened now is angering.
                      I lost custody of my oldest while in iraq. I wanted a better life for my child so I joined while he was a year and a half old. I went to iraq 30 days after ait. I came home to retreive him from his father. Guess what? While I was in iraq he went to court. The civilian court treated it as I willingly abandoned my child and gave him full custody. No one gave a damn about the family care plan we had in place and the person I spoke to at jag actually told me "this is a civilan matter. We cannot help you. You should of signed away custody to begin with, single parents have no business being in the military."
                      Two years after that and 10,000 later and all I have gained is weekend visits because I "abandoned" my child in the eyes of the court.
                      So if I'm being selfish now by following my Dr's orders, so be it.

Not trying to go off an a rant here... I'm just... frustrated. I

I'm still waiting on someone to get back to me so hopefully I can clear all this up.

Comment

The amount of other details to this story could probably fill up a novel. Who knows what the plot would be. In over a decade I have heard hundreds the same....there is always an uncovered side...always.

Comment

Working...
                        X