X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• security clearence question??

Hello.. I have been working with a recruiter for the last year.. and finally I enlisted last week with the AF reserve.... During the year of waiting and working with the recruiter I went through about 5 months of unemployment .. and the result was a few unpaid bills and one which a 2 credit cards that was closed by grantor one paid off and the other I'm paying on..I did inform my recruiter of the issue. and he said that I should be fine. I'm still worried and I also ran into another issue.. about 11 years ago I had a gym membership and closed out the membership but somehow I owe 871 and it's in collections I have disputed the item.. and it's currently under review.. I didn't find this out until after I enlisted about 3 days I quickly told my recruiter of this issue..( I know I'm stupid to not have caught this earlier) he said he would put it in my notes because my SC is in OPM.. but I should be ok.. I am about to pull my hair out worrying.. I'm due to ship out sometime in September.. and I'm scared that I will be denied and sent home.. I'm not that much in debt.. about a total of 4500.. and It should all be paid off by the time I finish basic and tech.. Could someone share some insight on my issue.. thanks

Re: security clearence question??

Originally posted by millife View Post
    Hello.. I have been working with a recruiter for the last year.. and finally I enlisted last week with the AF reserve.... During the year of waiting and working with the recruiter I went through about 5 months of unemployment .. and the result was a few unpaid bills and one which a 2 credit cards that was closed by grantor one paid off and the other I'm paying on..I did inform my recruiter of the issue. and he said that I should be fine. I'm still worried and I also ran into another issue.. about 11 years ago I had a gym membership and closed out the membership but somehow I owe 871 and it's in collections I have disputed the item.. and it's currently under review.. I didn't find this out until after I enlisted about 3 days I quickly told my recruiter of this issue..( I know I'm stupid to not have caught this earlier) he said he would put it in my notes because my SC is in OPM.. but I should be ok.. I am about to pull my hair out worrying.. I'm due to ship out sometime in September.. and I'm scared that I will be denied and sent home.. I'm not that much in debt.. about a total of 4500.. and It should all be paid off by the time I finish basic and tech.. Could someone share some insight on my issue.. thanks
    First, you should always dispute all bad debt first...even if it is yours. When doing so NEVER offer an explanation. Just ask the credit bureaus to "verify the item". Thats it..one simple sentence and about 75% of the time the item cant be verified and gets deleted.

For example, I will assume that when you disputed the gym membership you told them you cancelled it and shouldn't have been charged. Be explaining this, you just admitted to "owning" the debt. In other words, at one point or another you had this account. You got them to first based....by asking them to "verify the item", they have to start from the beginning and almost never make it home.

Comment

Originally posted by realitycheck View Post
      First, you should always dispute all bad debt first...even if it is yours. When doing so NEVER offer an explanation. Just ask the credit bureaus to "verify the item". Thats it..one simple sentence and about 75% of the time the item cant be verified and gets deleted.

For example, I will assume that when you disputed the gym membership you told them you cancelled it and shouldn't have been charged. Be explaining this, you just admitted to "owning" the debt. In other words, at one point or another you had this account. You got them to first based....by asking them to "verify the item", they have to start from the beginning and almost never make it home.
      Also, you enlisted in the AF Reserve, not the NG. While it may be similar, adjudication for the 2 branches have differences, so you really need to ask this from AF members.

Comment

Also, this is an Army National Guard forum not Air Force, so one thing that audience should know that anyone joining the Air Force requires a secret clearance unlike the Army/Guard.

Comment

Tex beat me to the draw.

Comment

once I found out what it was.. I did contact the creditor it took them forever to find the debt.. then I called the Experian and disputed the item ... so does that mean I'm doomed.. I had a few rotten tomatoes thrown at me and I don't want it to hurt me any more than it has..

Comment

yes I understand.. you the Guard is the only branch that offers insight.. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

yes I understand.. you the Guard is the only branch that offers insight.. Thanks for the reply.
                Well, we'd like to provide more insight but the differences between what our adjudication process and what the AF does may bite your in the rump. Generally speaking, have accounts resolved OR proof that you are resolving them is the definite way to go when it comes to clearances.

Comment

ok.. thanks much.. I guess I just have to wait and see. and keep paying my bills of course.

Comment

ok.. thanks much.. I guess I just have to wait and see. and keep paying my bills of course.
                    If you can't get a disputed bill off the report, then I would contact your creditor and work out a plan. Make sure you get the person you talked to's name and contact number...

Comment

yes.. that is my plan.. Thanks

Comment

I sort of had the same issue as you ran behind on a few payments that by the time I ship should be taken care of and all the accounts brought to date, so insight that I got from other forums is if its anything like the NG then you might just get reclassed after BCT into something that might not require a clearance even after starting a few weeks of AIT, my brother recently completed BCT/AIT in June on Ft Leonard for 31B MP and he said alot of privates in his AIT got pulled out and reclassed after having 2 weeks of AIT for not clearing a few others completed AIT and still got reclassed for not clearing, so at worst I think that would be your case again like everyone else said if AF is anything like NG or viceversa

Comment

Working...
                        X