Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to transfer to Active Duty from the National Guard if I have not yet attended BCT/AIT

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to transfer to Active Duty from the National Guard if I have not yet attended BCT/AIT

I know that this there have been a lot of posts concerning this topic, however, my case is different from those in most of the other threads. I recently enlisted in the National Guard as an 11C in order to go SMP with my college and pay for school. I want to transfer to Active Duty so that I could serve my country full time, while earning credits towards a degree.

Before anyone bashes my reasoning for wanting to go Active after I already enlisted in the guard, I want to explain my situation further. I was taking the semester off in order to complete my BCT and AIT for the NG and have no place of residence when I return to VA in November. While I have enough money to acquire an apartment for the few months before my next scheduled semester at college, I will not have enough money to pay for said semester. I will not be able pay for my entire tuition, room, and board using my G.I. bill alone, and do not qualify for the financial aid I need as my parents counted me as a dependent on this year's taxes. I want to transfer to Active Duty on a 2 or 3 year enlistment contract so that I could save enough money for college and re-apply to college in a few years. Does anyone have any advice on how I should proceed?

Re: Is it possible to transfer to Active Duty from the National Guard if I have not yet attended BCT

Originally posted by PVT Peters View Post
    I know that this there have been a lot of posts concerning this topic, however, my case is different from those in most of the other threads. I recently enlisted in the National Guard as an 11C in order to go SMP with my college and pay for school. I want to transfer to Active Duty so that I could serve my country full time, while earning credits towards a degree.

Before anyone bashes my reasoning for wanting to go Active after I already enlisted in the guard, I want to explain my situation further. I was taking the semester off in order to complete my BCT and AIT for the NG and have no place of residence when I return to VA in November. While I have enough money to acquire an apartment for the few months before my next scheduled semester at college, I will not have enough money to pay for said semester. I will not be able pay for my entire tuition, room, and board using my G.I. bill alone, and do not qualify for the financial aid I need as my parents counted me as a dependent on this year's taxes. I want to transfer to Active Duty on a 2 or 3 year enlistment contract so that I could save enough money for college and re-apply to college in a few years. Does anyone have any advice on how I should proceed?
    As far as the process and requirements your situation is no different then the next. The biggest hurdle Soldiers face trying to leave the guard for the regular army is that the regular army is barely accepting any prior service at all...which is what you will be considered if you complete your training. If you really want to go active you may want to talk to your recruiting folks about backing out of your contract, that is assuming you have not left for basic...which I don't think you have. Taking this route may incur a waiting period for the regular army, you will have to work with one of their recruiters to know that...but that may be the only option as the enlistment standards for prior service have been and will be very limited for quite a while to come...if not ever.

Comment

Re: Is it possible to transfer to Active Duty from the National Guard if I have not yet attended BCT

How would I go about doing this exactly?

Comment

RealityCheck is correct and is a former recruiter. I switched from NG to AD and did it during a time when the requirements were more lenient. I suggest that you talk to your NG recruiter ASAP and explain your situation. I would also double tap a regular Army recruiter and inform him of your intent and ask what are your options if possible and if any exist. If you really want to go active and running into road blocks; I will look at other services as well.

Also, 2 to 3 year contracts depend on MOS (usually infantry). Most enlistment contracts are for 4 to 6 years. I started with a five-year contract in 2003 and been on active-duty ever since.

Good luck.

Comment

I will not have enough money to pay for said semester. I will not be able pay for my entire tuition, room, and board using my G.I. bill alone, and do not qualify for the financial aid I need as my parents counted me as a dependent on this year's taxes.
          Once you have completed Basic and AIT you are eligible for Federal Tuition Assistance ($4500/year) and State Tuition Assistance (~$3000/year, check with your recruiter) in addition to your Montgomery GI Bill.

I fear that you could get out of your ARNG enlistment in such a way that the active component won't take you, and you'll end up with nothing.

Comment

Exactly what the LTC said. Get with your NG Recruiter and also hit up an Active Duty one to see what you can/can't do...

Comment

I am also looking at the option of transferring to the TX NG so that I could work and study while living with my parents... Mostly so that I could keep a roof over my head if I am stuck waiting for a transfer to AD. I know I would have to contact the VA IST coordinator to try and set that up. Does anyone know if Ms. Musick is still the VA IST coordinator, and how long this process would take?

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
                Exactly what the LTC said. Get with your NG Recruiter and also hit up an Active Duty one to see what you can/can't do...
                Prediction:

NG Recruiter: "You can't do that. It's impossible."

AD Recruiter: "It's easy as pie, sign here."

MEPS: "Who are you???"

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
                  Prediction:

We taking bets yet??

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
                    Prediction:

Post of the day right here.

Comment

Does anyone know if Ms. Musick is still the VA IST coordinator, and how long this process would take?
                      Yes she is. The process should take 30 days, although often it doesn't. To maximize the chances of success, take ownership of the process. It's someone else's job, but it's your life, and it won't be anymore important to anyone else than it is to you. Follow Ms. Musick's instructions diligently and thoroughly, and bird-dog the process as it moves.

Comment

Working...
                      X