Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Active duty Army broadcaster and NCO transitioning to the Guard next year...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active duty Army broadcaster and NCO transitioning to the Guard next year...

Yes, that is what I'm doing. I've decided 14 years is enough active duty and I've things in the civilian world I really need to do that active duty prevents me. But I want to preserve my years in. So I'm going Guard/Reserve, no matter what. However, I am close to a Bachelor's degree and am thinking about the idea of pursuing a commission in the Guard. Not just any commission, either. I'm actually considering becoming a Guard/Reserve Chaplain.

Just to put all my cards on the table, in October of this year, I will be 45 years old. I'm going to be finishing my Bachelor's as a full time student as soon as I get home and hope to have my degree finished before I'm 47. But I don't see how I could have my masters in a pertinent field complete before I turned 47. So is this a crazy idea, Army/Comissioning-wise? Or am I being inspired?

All advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Re: Active duty Army broadcaster and NCO transitioning to the Guard next year...

So would you be at 14 or 15 years next year? Why would you leave AD after 15 years when you are close to retirement. I am AD with the near same amount of years. Five years will fly by. Trust me.

Are you indef? Getting forced out through RCP? What is your current rank? Those questions will addressed if and when you submit a packet.

Comment

Re: Active duty Army broadcaster and NCO transitioning to the Guard next year...

I am not indef. I am a Staff Sergeant and I've just reached a point where there are things I want to do and I can't do it in the active force. I will be at 14 years. And if I stay in, I'll be in my fifties which puts me further at a disadvantage with the things I want to do.

Comment

I think you answered your own question. You're not going to be able to get the needed education before you turn 47. You could still finsih your time out in the NG and still get a retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
          I think you answered your own question. You're not going to be able to get the needed education before you turn 47. You could still finsih your time out in the NG and still get a retirement.
          +1. I just see your dream of pursuing a Chaplain commission in the NG and it may be a far stretch. What are those civilian goals? Are they locked in or are they a far reach. Remember the job stability in the civilian world is none compared to full active duty. How many times have you been to the E7 board? Are you ok with a lesser retirement. Meaning if you retire as an E-6, your retirement may average (starting) at 2k a month. If you transfer to the Guard, you will have to wait to 60 years old and much less than 2K a month. Just remember that. You do not know how many times a month I hear, "I should of finished my 20" (active wise).

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
            You do not know how many times a month I hear, "I should of finished my 20" (active wise).
            It seems the OP fears instead looking back and saying, "I should have followed God's calling for my life."

He will still finish his 20, just not on active duty. It is possible to survive (and even thrive) off of active duty's plantation.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
              It seems the OP fears instead looking back and saying, "I should have followed God's calling for my life."

He will still finish his 20, just not on active duty. It is possible to survive (and even thrive) off of active duty's plantation.
              OP may be Atheist (Also, I do not know if your plantation metaphor is suggesting a life of involuntary servitude for us AD folks because it is not). Yes, this is an NG forum and you are a proponent for it but my remarks come from many who have exited the military to pursue their pursuits and ran into dead ends (I have four cousins who did four year stints and now in their 50s - they all told me that they now wish they would have finished 20 years of AD service). I do not debate with nor knock the desire to experience something you always wanted to in life. I should know because I have enjoyed those experiences as well in the civilian life. I worked in film and as a federal agent and they were always dreams of mine.

But this is reality, and the reality is that the job market is not so attractive at this point and there are other factors that deem a pursuit than just sheer want. He is in his late 40s as I and I do not know if the OP has a family like I do but when there is a family; that changes the dynamic completely when it comes to dreams and ambitions.

And as a former Guardsman, I know a person can reap an awesome civilian career that can surpass AD military retirement dividends but when a SM has dedicated over a decade of his life on AD service, to me and many others in our circles, it makes sense to walk away with the mother lode. Again, it is just my opinion.

The OP has options and my opinions about remaining on active will not only come from me. He will have conversations with his leadership, career counselor and the CSM ensuring that his decision is not only wise but sensible. Regardless if he remains AD or goes NG; it is a win-win for the Army. Nevertheless, I wish him the best.

Good day.
              Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; July 9th, 2013, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X