X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guard to irr transfer due to job conflict

I recently took a new job with Bauer foundation corp. This is a construction company working on a dam remediation close to my home. I have been in the guard for over four years of a 6/2 obligation. Due to my work schedule which is 14 days 12 hours a day and then a week off, I am going to be losing about 400-500 dollars for missing two days for drill. Even including my drill pay I will still be losing about 300-400 because I spend $100 in gas driving to our detatchment. I am in our main unit but they have consilidated our section and I am having to drive an extra 80 miles to our detatchment. I have spoken with my unit about this and I am temporariliy excused from drill because of this but I have asked them multiple times about switching to IRR with no response they just say all I can to is switch to ING which I do not want to do because it stops my "obliation clock." Our readiness NCO and admin NCO have been less than helpful with this. What do I need to do to get the ball rolling to transfer to IRR?

Re: Guard to irr transfer due to job conflict

Make sure you're at leasting make up the drills. You don't want to be U'd out becuase you just quit showing up. Involve the rest of your chain of command and if needed use the commander's open door policy. I'd bring in a copy of your work schedule and attach a letter explaining why you want the transfer to the IRR.

Comment

Brad, remove your name from your signature and no need to write the name of the company too.

The CPT made a point. Do not think your new job could last forever. You could lose it in a heartbeat for whatever reason. Work out a plan to keep drilling.

Comment

Thanks for your response sir. I have already sent them a copy of my work schedule and wrote a letter to my commander and my SQDN commander. My commander understands my situation and is supportive of anyone in our unit trying to better themselves whether it involves the guard or not.

Comment

I did ING time myself. You can stay ING for up to one year for personal reasons. There is no requirement to extend your contract once leaving the ING to the best of my knowledge. It may be recommended, but no one forced me to do it after the end of the one year. The only real difference between the ING and the IRR is you remain part of the guard. In the IRR you are subject to call up and mobilization with any unit in all three components. In the ING you are not.

Comment

Originally posted by realitycheck View Post
            In the IRR you are subject to call up and mobilization with any unit in all three components. In the ING you are not.
            This is important to remember. Especially if the US is heavily involved overseas and deployments are a plenty. If what you need is a pause from the military and peace of mind for a little while, ING is likely the better option.

Comment

I should have specified that in the ING you are only subject to recall with the Guard. It sounded like I meant not at all....

Comment

Working...
              X