X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for deployments in early 2014

I leave for basics in October and was wondering if anyone could tell me if theres somewhere I can look to see what if any units are deploying in early 2014. Would really like to volunteer after AIT is over.

Re: Looking for deployments in early 2014

This is good news for the Guard

http://www.armytimes.com/article/201...ng-Guard-units

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeEater93 View Post
      I leave for basics in October and was wondering if anyone could tell me if theres somewhere I can look to see what if any units are deploying in early 2014. Would really like to volunteer after AIT is over.
      OPSEC young warrior, look it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
        "OPSEC is the protecting of critical information deemed mission essential from military commanders."

Knowing your unit is deploying to Afghanistan, Kosovo, or where ever, in 2014 isn't against OPSEC. If you can "look it up", it's technically not covered under OPSEC. Times, numbers, route, etc is OPSEC.

We had a unit (in afghanistan now) that knew they were going there 7 months prior and it was made public.

Comment

Stating that you are leaving for basic in October is not a violation of OPSEC. Identifying which units are planning on deploying within a month-scale time frame is also not a violation of OPSEC.

Remember this, "young warrior:" when you make corrections, it's important to be correct.

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
            Identifying which units are planning on deploying within a month-scale time frame is also not a violation of OPSEC..
            Everything I have looked up for the last hour regarding OPSEC has specifically cited the examples of dates / units for deployment as what NOT to ever put on a public forum website or social media site.

Considering the OP hasn't even attended BCT yet, OR AIT...I would think this is something he could more accurately investigate (closer to the actual dates in the event deployments are cancelled) upon his return with his actual unit. As for picking on semantics regarding whether or not advertising units / dates for deployments is OPSEC or not, I guess I just prefer on the err on the side of caution.

Comment

Our unit's FB page was able to inform that the unit was re-deploying but could not list the departure and arrival on main body flights until they touched ground.

http://www.army.mil/article/2758

http://www.fas.org/irp/doddir/army/ar530-1.pdf <--short read

Comment

Some more fun

http://www.lewis-mcchord.army.mil/de...PSECbrief1.pdf

http://www.slideshare.net/USArmySoci...ial-networking

Comment

Everything I have looked up for the last hour regarding OPSEC has specifically cited the examples of dates / units for deployment as what NOT to ever put on a public forum website or social media site.
                  A month is not a specific date. Stating which month a unit is deploying does not violate OPSEC. This information is published regularly in publicly accessible fora. Stating the time, date, flight numbers, and departure points...yeah, that would be an obvious violation of OPSEC.

[I]Considering the OP hasn't even attended BCT yet, OR AIT...I would think this is something he could more accurately investigate (closer to the actual dates in the event deployments are cancelled) upon his return with his actual unit.
                  I agree.

As for picking on semantics regarding whether or not advertising units / dates for deployments is OPSEC or not, I guess I just prefer on the err on the side of caution.
                  It's not semantics. It's a matter of being correct.

The reason this is critical is that when we insist that soldiers practice good OPSEC, it's important that we be specific about what that means. It does not mean that we simply never talk about where we're going or what we're doing. If soldiers think that's OPSEC, then they will stop taking it seriously because they'll see that it's commonplace for general information and timelines of deployments to be published publicly. On the other hand, if we are clear about what constitutes a violation of OPSEC and what does not (rather than "erring on the side of caution"), then soldiers will recognize those violations (publishing flight numbers, specific time/date info, departure/arrival points) and some will be vigilant about stopping/preventing them from occurring. If we allow it to just become some nebulous "don't talk about XYZ" policy then it will be shrugged off and have no effect.

Hopefully that makes sense.
                  Last edited by Jersey Dirtbag; June 26th, 2013, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
                    A month is not a specific date. Stating which month a unit is deploying does not violate OPSEC. This information is published regularly in publicly accessible fora. Stating the time, date, flight numbers, and departure points...yeah, that would be an obvious violation of OPSEC.

I agree.

The reason this is critical is that when we insist that soldiers practice good OPSEC, it's important that we be specific about what that means. It does not mean that we simply never talk about where we're going or what we're doing. If soldiers think that's OPSEC, then they will stop taking it seriously because they'll see that it's commonplace for general information and timelines of deployments to be published publicly. On the other hand, if we are clear about what constitutes a violation of OPSEC and what does not (rather than "erring on the side of caution"), then soldiers will recognize those violations (publishing flight numbers, specific time/date info, departure/arrival points) and some will be vigilant about stopping/preventing them from occurring. If we allow it to just become some nebulous "don't talk about XYZ" policy then it will be shrugged off and have no effect.

It....clarifies your original response.

Thanks.

Comment

Sorry for being curious.

I however am familiar with OPSEC, I come from a military/LEO family. Noone gets more than a month from me, I was just curious as to whether or not I could find that information somewhere.
                      Last edited by SmokeEater93; June 26th, 2013, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Jersey,

Thank you for setting the record straight. I enlisted in 1988, served in Desert Storm, OIF and OEF, and times sure have changed. I cannot tell you how many times someone asks a question as this future soldier has, and they get piled on after someone randomly quotes OPSEC (the sheeple). I find many of this generations youngsters are lacking in leadership capability (more of the follower type). The news, DOD, papers, Facebook (as someone else noted), and so many other methods of communication are used to put this "for the public" type information out (doesn't anyone follow the news, papers, blogs or any of the other hundreds of types of information sources out there?). Yet, they still wont research how this information may or may not relate to OPSEC, and will not hesitate to jump on someone incorrectly using OPSEC as their spearhead.

Chris, you came off very condescending to the young man. Then, to top it off you were 100% wrong. Instead of just saying that you were incorrect and maybe apologizing for your behavior, you try to ride the excuse "to be on the safe side."

Jersey, I couldn't have said it better myself. If one is constantly beat up with "just don't talk about anything, it can all be considered OPSEC," then when they see it all over the paper and news, they'll assume OPSEC is just a cool acronym that's not taken seriously, and that can be disastrous. In my opinion "just to be on the safe side is a sorry excuse to use when trying to avoid responsibility for ones actions (when used as you have used it).

SmokeEater, congrats on your entry into the brotherhood. I commend you for your desire to serve. Remember what happened here and consider it a lesson. Work hard and when it's your turn to lead, lead by example and take the extra time to teach your troops correctly, it may save their life, or the life of someone else. Good luck and Be Safe!!

Jersey, good luck in your future endeavors (SFAS)! Drop us a line to let us know when you're done and moving on to the next phase! BTW, you're original post was quite clear to me.

Yo
                        Originally posted by Jersey Dirtbag View Post

I agree.

Comment

What this means is don't post "Leaving for Afghanistan Aug 23 from Miami, FA and arriving at Camp XXX on Aug 28 to take over OP XXX from XXX !" Don't post actual dates. There's nothing wrong with saying "I'm leaving for XXX next month" or anything along those lines. A big part of it is the bad guys like to hit us right after a change in units in an area, knowing that the new unit doesn't know the area or have their SOPs down well enough to counter.

Comment

Working...
                          X