X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing from drill unit over 1 year not discharged?

Basically i joined finished bct and ait as a 35F intel analyst and i went to 3-4 drills and after not receiving half of my $10,000 bonus no longer attended drills (financial hard ships. Hard to find work broke with no support) Unit was doing the yellow ribbon ceremony so almost no one was there to help me out anyways. I joined at 17 happy and ready to serve got home age 19 no family, no support, no promised job search help. I have since contacted my unit after not going to drills for over a year and have been given the run around and threat of OTH discharge on my record along with my rescinded bonus if i do not contact the commander at X time on X day and only at that time. I have since left several messages after receiving no response am unsure what to do. What will most likely happen and what are my options? No i do not want to be discharged and unless i am barred from re enlistment i will do so in 6 months or the time i need to wait.

Re: Missing from drill unit over 1 year not discharged?

So while I can't help from a policy standpoint, I do have to ask, why did you quit showing up for drill? When the financial hardships started did you approach your chain of command and tell them what was happening? If you didn't find support there did you try other areas within your state? Was it a year that you didn't show up and didn't contact them? What made you change your mind and start contacting them again?

If your commander is not calling back, then one option would be to go to your unit and see who is in and available to talk with. The very least should be a readiness NCO, which would be a good place to start.

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle
      I find it incredibly hard to believe that you haven't went to drill in 12 months, not once...and are still on their books. This is not a very likely scenario.
      Well, if a unit can't keep accountability of its personnel, this is very likely. I remember when I was at the RTI they had a candidate just not show up for nearly a year. When they contacted the candidate's previous unit, they realized their blunder and quickly got rid of him from their books. But yes, I have seen cases where a soldier has not gone to drill for a year and has had zero communication with that unit since he stopped coming to drill... and still be on their books.

Comment

Possible just not probable. After 90 days the higher ups would have the kid on every bad boy list and start calling the unit asking whats up. But....I know there are some tore up chains out there...and anything can happen.
        Not after the their deployment and yellow ribboon + change of command ceremony + the fact they most were not even aware they had received new people over their time deployed. As for contacting chain of command that proved no help at all. An entire BDE deployed and left behind about 10 people from the BDE and even more new soldiers who joined the unit. My ako has listed i was still a part of an RSP unit even though i did in processing with my unit etc etc. When i have called and spoken to people there i have yet to be discharged and keep being threatened to contact the commander or else i will get OTH on my record with my rescinded bonus and it wont look good. Since i am not in the same state should I break chain of command and contact the local National Guard and receive their help in contacting them? As for being a tore up chain in my experience its just a serious lack of communication. I would rather have been discharged and done with it since being National Guard is such a no no on so many job applications.

Comment

Originally posted by Portree228 View Post
          So while I can't help from a policy standpoint, I do have to ask, why did you quit showing up for drill? When the financial hardships started did you approach your chain of command and tell them what was happening? If you didn't find support there did you try other areas within your state? Was it a year that you didn't show up and didn't contact them? What made you change your mind and start contacting them again?

If your commander is not calling back, then one option would be to go to your unit and see who is in and available to talk with. The very least should be a readiness NCO, which would be a good place to start.

Good Luck
          Well on my own with no help or family and straight out of AIT looking for work is where most of my money went. No car, barely had a place to stay. I did not qualify for BAH prior to enlistment and had no one to to help me do the paper work upon my return. Drill was a couple of cities away even taking the metro was still a couple of miles away but just under barely under the mileage to receive compensation for traveling to drill. From those there drilling about 20 ish people i was the only one who lived in that direction. As for why i tried contacting them i finally got back on my feet to where i could afford a phone and a secure way to access my ako and look up the units numbers.(Their listed number does not function and gives no redirection on the automated machine to the new number) Phone is not a necessity when trying to live on your own. BTW as to why i was on my own i was dis owned and blocked at every turn trying to join the military because my school and legal guardian felt i should have taken the scholarships offered to me right away for full rides to nice pretty prep schools. So i ended up in a different state working on ranches, rodeos etc. So going to visit my unit in person as much as i would like is quite out of my reach atm.

Also i appreciate the positive helpful responses. I have posted elsewhere and received nothing but unhelpful troll statements to my serious predicament.

Comment

Originally posted by loldontcry View Post
            Also i appreciate the positive helpful responses. I have posted elsewhere and received nothing but unhelpful troll statements to my serious predicament.???
            Ironic how you link your serious predicament with your sarcastic LOLDONTCRY screen name. Your post is not uncommon and from personal experience, the serious predicament could have been avoided by simple measures.

You could have found a way to engage your unit or higher on your predicament or locate some resources (You must know someone with a car or cell phone) that could of helped you out. You could of even went to an Army recruiter (or any military recruiter in your neighborhood and could of called an operator to find an 800 number) and used the resources in their offices to deal with your situation but you seem to constantly write out excuses that prevented all of that.

I do not have pity for these outcomes unless it was a life-threatening situation. I came on active duty because my continuous civilian employment was in question and I made it happen.

It is about time you start taking ownership of your problems, just like you found a computer that had internet and located this forum (that has been around for years).
            Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; June 21st, 2013, 03:40 PM.

Comment

A no-no? And you were not given a unit roster or sponsor/leader during your four drills?

If it was not for the Guard; I would not achieved as much as I wanted in life.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                Ironic how you link your serious predicament with your sarcastic LOLDONTCRY screen name. Your post is not uncommon and from personal experience, the serious predicament could have been avoided by simple measures.

You could have found a way to engage your unit or higher on your predicament or locate some resources (You must know someone with a car or cell phone) that could of helped you out. You could of even went to an Army recruiter (or any military recruiter in your neighborhood and could of called an operator to find an 800 number) and used the resources in their offices to deal with your situation but you seem to constantly write out excuses that prevented all of that.

I do not have pity for these outcomes unless it was a life-threatening situation. I came on active duty because my continuous civilian employment was in question and I made it happen.

It is about time you start taking ownership of your problems, just like you found a computer that had internet and located this forum (that has been around for years).
                The unit had just gotten back from Iraq and was doing yellow ribbon. thats 3 drills + the one i was there before anyone had gotten back. So no unit rosters. No help except an E-5 who was being discharged as soon as his paper work went through who was also pushing about age 50. Everyone else just did not know what to do and kept saying wait 4 months when everyone comes back.
                Well one this has turned out to be less than helpful. And where do you get off saying i should take ownership? I am not on here whining i came here for some serious advice because i TRIED to figure out wth i need to do next. And as to the national guard on a job app statement. Go live in CA apply to many jobs and watch the scornful faces of interviewers as they realize you have a military obligation for 1 weekend a month possible deployments and summer training. Where i am now it is completely different and people actually respect you more for it.

Comment

Dont act like there is something positive to come out of you deciding to opt our of your commitment and quit. There is absolutley no merit whatsoever to that statement. For many jobs, its quite the contrary.
                  Like i wrote before YOU GO LIVE IN CALIFORNIA AND TRY AND GET A JOB. Further more research it! see how many get turned down because of the National Guard status. It is a big deal and a problem which is why many in the NG opt for deployments because it is the only way to provide for their families. No merit to my statement? Do your homework. As for recruiters near me there were none. I called 1-800-go-guard and only received a place in santa clarita CA because the others closed down. And what did that recruiter do? "No i have not heard of your unit. Why not sign up for Spec Forces. You are the perfect age and already have clearance. You just need to attend Infantry AIT and then Spec Forces training. Worst case is you have a double MOS and are airborne." I opted out of nothing nor did i try to weasel out of my commitment. I said i would rather have been discharged over the year because i felt bad for not being able to attend. Its been over 12 months. August of 2011 was my last drill and it is now June of 2013! Would you rather still be in?

Comment

Originally posted by loldontcry View Post
                    Basically i joined finished bct and ait as a 35F intel analyst and i went to 3-4 drills and after not receiving half of my $10,000 bonus no longer attended drills (financial hard ships. Hard to find work broke with no support) Unit was doing the yellow ribbon ceremony so almost no one was there to help me out anyways. I joined at 17 happy and ready to serve got home age 19 no family, no support, no promised job search help. I have since contacted my unit after not going to drills for over a year and have been given the run around and threat of OTH discharge on my record along with my rescinded bonus if i do not contact the commander at X time on X day and only at that time. I have since left several messages after receiving no response am unsure what to do. What will most likely happen and what are my options? No i do not want to be discharged and unless i am barred from re enlistment i will do so in 6 months or the time i need to wait.
                    I've been in the CARNG for awhile and I can tell you that they probably have already placed you in the ING. However as with most national guard units that are reducing personnel they have started out processing the AWOL ING people or have put you in for a re entry code that will bar you from re-enlistment,because they need to clear people from their books. I would be worried about that OTH discharge because for once the guard is actually pushing that. I've seen it done for a couple chronically AWOL people in my unit.

Comment

Fail thread. Someone please close this.

Comment

Originally posted by California11b View Post
                        I've been in the CARNG for awhile and I can tell you that they probably have already placed you in the ING. However as with most national guard units that are reducing personnel they have started out processing the AWOL ING people or have put you in for a re entry code that will bar you from re-enlistment,because they need to clear people from their books. I would be worried about that OTH discharge because for once the guard is actually pushing that. I've seen it done for a couple chronically AWOL people in my unit.
                        The OP posted this thread/question more than a month ago. I think he got his answer.

THREAD CLOSED...click

Comment

Working...
                        X