Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interested in transferring to the Inactive Reserve early?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interested in transferring to the Inactive Reserve early?

Hello.
    I was injured in a training accident while training to deploy and have been told by the VA that I have no recovery prognosis as my injury has turned into a degenerative condition that cannot be surgically fixed or relieved with meds. Normal activities make the injury worse, and I am currently red flagged for all activities, including training and promotion. The National Guard TMC for my state wants to medically discharge me, but it takes three years. Is it possible for me to transfer to inactive reserve during that process, and if so, what DD or DA for does it take? At this point, I'm literally the epitome of a "dead man profile" and am of no use to my unit in anything more than a strength number. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
    SPC Niles.

Re: Interested in transferring to the Inactive Reserve early?

Originally posted by Spc Niles View Post
    Hello.
    I was injured in a training accident while training to deploy and have been told by the VA that I have no recovery prognosis as my injury has turned into a degenerative condition that cannot be surgically fixed or relieved with meds. Normal activities make the injury worse, and I am currently red flagged for all activities, including training and promotion. The National Guard TMC for my state wants to medically discharge me, but it takes three years. Is it possible for me to transfer to inactive reserve during that process, and if so, what DD or DA for does it take? At this point, I'm literally the epitome of a "dead man profile" and am of no use to my unit in anything more than a strength number. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
    SPC Niles.
    Lets take this one step at a time. First thing first, did you get an approved LOD?. Next, when you say medically discharge, are you reffering to a medical evaluation board? If they and or you are planning discharge via anything other then through an MEB we need to get you on track.

Comment

Based on your post, you can provide some service in an "admin" capacity.

But why take up a slot in inactive reserve; if you feel you are a liability in m-day status? Purpose of Inactive reserve is for call-up reasons and to fill manning slots.

Off-topic, I can see why the medical discharge process takes some time. Everyday, I see young (in their 20s); able-looking, men and women claiming they are broke and on profile. Many seeking to receive monies upon discharge.

I even see senior leaders who are near retirement; getting as much surgeries as possible, getting out of deployments and already computing a VA percentage with their retirement income.

I feel many are scamming the system and that disturbs me a lot.
      Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; June 12th, 2013, 11:47 AM.

Comment

"Out in the world" its common practice: We are shifting into a welfare state. It seems like everyone wants something for nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC View Post
          "Out in the world" its common practice: We are shifting into a welfare state. It seems like everyone wants something for nothing.
          You are right Devil Dog and I blame the Dems for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
            I even see senior leaders who are near retirement; getting as much surgeries as possible, getting out of deployments and already computing a VA percentage with their retirement income.
            Generally this wouldn't matter anyway. Unless a trooper has

1. 20 years of service + drawing retired pay + VA rating of 50% or higher (CRDP) (Concurrent Retired Disability Pay)

or

2. Drawing any type of retired pay + 10% va rating or higher (CRSP) (Combat Related Special Compensation)

then you are not allowed to draw two payments. You retired money and va money would offset itself. So, it would really be hard for someone to pull off the requirements and scam the system. A combat related injury would be well documented, and it isn't easy to reach the 50% VA threshold if you were qualified to continue your service and reach 20 years....not impossible though.
            Last edited by Mr.Incognito; June 12th, 2013, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Mr. Incognito,
              Yes, I have an approved LOD. One of the options they are looking at is a MEB, they ('They" being m case manager and the state TMC) have also talked about a "General Discharge for Medical Reasons", but I've been told not to accept that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                Based on your post, you can provide some service in an "admin" capacity.

But why take up a slot in inactive reserve; if you feel you are a liability in m-day status? Purpose of Inactive reserve is for call-up reasons and to fill manning slots.

Off-topic, I can see why the medical discharge process takes some time. Everyday, I see young (in their 20s); able-looking, men and women claiming they are broke and on profile. Many seeking to receive monies upon discharge.

I feel many are scamming the system and that disturbs me a lot.
                Chief,
                I understand your concern; I have also seen the system being taken advantage of on too many occasions. Please rest assured that I am not one of them. I hate being injured and only want to get my life back.
                This deployment would have been my first. I volunteered for it and was injured 2 weeks before my company left MOB station for their OCONUS station. My "training accident" was one of those "good old fashioned" ones that a friend of mine talks about; I'm sure with your time in you understand what I'm talking about. Basically, I asked too many questions.
                Before this injury, I was on Search and Rescue teams specializing in water and high-angle rescues. I was EMS, a wilderness guide, and a rock-climbing medic. I competed in marathons and triathalons and was working on getting on a winter biathalon team. Because of this injury, I can't do any of it, much less train with my unit.
                In my current unit I am "required to attend, prohibited from participating" in all training. I don't do any work in my MOS (31B and 92A); Command puts promotable E4s in position to learn, and I am no longer promotable. I used to be a decent, competitive soldier. Now I am the example of what not to be. I don't argue.
                I'm looking into Inactive reserve as a way to continue my contract while trying to figure out a way to manage this injury. I've been told that my injury will only get worse as it is a degenerative condition but I'm not eligible or capable of having surgery. The VA doesn't have anything else they can do for me, so I'm looking into alternative medicine. I'm hoping that if I can focus all attention on injury management I'll be able to find something that will enable me to go back to some of my normal activities and training and transfer back into my unit and continue my contract honorably.

Comment

Originally posted by Spc Niles View Post
                  Mr. Incognito,
                  Yes, I have an approved LOD. One of the options they are looking at is a MEB, they ('They" being m case manager and the state TMC) have also talked about a "General Discharge for Medical Reasons", but I've been told not to accept that one.
                  The "theys" don't have a choice if you have a P3 on a profile for a condition that is an automatic refferal to a MEB. "They" frequently will try to get a soldier to agree not to do it, even though that isn't an option that exists unless it in non duty related. MEB/PEB can be done in the irr....but I'm telling you right now, do not pursue that route. MEB/PEB is one of the most complicated events the military has to offer. You want to stay in your status as it runs its course.

You need to contact an attorney with the office od the soldiers counsel...

https://www.jagcnet.army.mil/OSC

Comment

Working...
                  X