Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NG to AD after enlistment is up

Hey all,
    I am currently enlisted in the Washington NG with MOS 11b and going to college as well. When I graduate I should have a little less than a year left in my enlistment. I want to go AD after I graduate and my question is will it be easier to re-enlist into AD after my enlistment with the guard is up, or is it still just as difficult as getting that conditional release? Also if I did that what would happen to my rank and schools I completed?

Re: NG to AD after enlistment is up

It is most certainly easier to go AD after you ETS. You are fighting a war on two fronts instead of one if you try to get out early. I've tried the conditional release in two states, they won't budge. This is my opinion, but for every few that ask to get out and do, there are hundreds who are turned away or State stalls so long that you eventually ETS anyway.

Are you trying to be enlisted or officer AD? I haven't talked to a recruiter in a while, but the last time I did, they only take certain MOSs with certain pay grades for Prior-Service Re-Ups who have ALREADY been to AIT for said MOSs. With you being infantry you are already behind the 8 ball. Remember we are trying to almost cut combat elements in half. If they do let you in, you're probably going to have to take a reduction if you are E-5 and higher unless you are in a critical MOS (Infantry is not).

More than likely your best bet is Officer by going OCS. You're probably going to have to live with whatever Officer Branch they place you in, expect SF to especially be on the table.

If you really just want to be infantry though, and I hate to steer you away, but the Marines is always an option. The Air Force also loves taking PS Army Grunts for Special Operations. Look up, TACP, CC, and SOWT on the USAF website and you will see what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero259 View Post
      More than likely your best bet is Officer by going OCS. You're probably going to have to live with whatever Officer Branch they place you in, expect SF to especially be on the table.
      SF Branch for officers just graduating OCS is NOT an option.

As for prior service for a SF Candidate contract (18X). I have heard from multiple sources that active duty has shut that down at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
        SF Branch for officers just graduating OCS is NOT an option.

As for prior service for a SF Candidate contract (18X). I have heard from multiple sources that active duty has shut that down at the moment.
        Thank you for the correction sir. I was basing it off of the fact that every time I saw a recruiter he pitched SF 10x more than anything else, even when I already had TWO critical MOSs, Lol.

Comment

Check your sources. A number of statements are incorrect or overly general to the point of ineffective.

Branching determination is partly Army, partly soldier input. It's rare for a new LT to get the absolute last thing on their preference sheet, very rare.

You can not branch SF. To be considered for SF as an officer, you have to be a O-2P and go through SFAS process.

The AF only take 250 PS (non-AF) personnel per FY and they have already filled their quota. They will accept *any* Army MOS but a applying soldier will have to retrain to ParaRescue or Combat Controller (in addition, you have to pass the PAST test). While having 11B/X experience helps, it does not make or break an applicant.

Comment

Again I defer to your better understanding of the subject. I knew about the PAST test and MOS being immaterial for PS USAF but decided not to go too much into detail.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
              To be considered for SF as an officer, you have to be a O-2P and go through SFAS process.
              Not quite correct for active duty. When it comes to officers on active duty applying for SF, its all about Year Group (YG) of commissioning. But, I think he gets the point.

Comment

O-2P? lol. That is the same as a PFC(P).

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                  I'm an O-2 (P), where "P" is short for "permanent."

Comment

Originally posted by jwarren View Post
                    I'm an O-2 (P), where "P" is short for "permanent."
                    Roger that. It is more than clear that Captain is not a given now and days.

Comment

Roger that. It is more than clear that Captain is not a given now and days.
                      Actually, it's just the fact that up until about two months ago I was in a black hole known as the NJARNG where it takes six years to make Captain. My name should be on the list which is coming out shortly.

Comment

Har har.... everyone's a comedian. \

(P) stand for "promotable" for all of those posters who don't know.

You should come to TX LT. We promote to CPT fairly quickly as compared to the rest of the states.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
                          Har har.... everyone's a comedian. \

(P) stand for "promotable" for all of those posters who don't know.

You should come to TX LT. We promote to CPT fairly quickly as compared to the rest of the states.
                          I like to joke about the promotion stuff but it's honestly not that big of a deal to me. The only reason it's really bothersome right now is that I'm going to be starting SFQC soon (it's about 18 months long) and my military pay is going to be my only paycheck for that period. My civilian pay is a lot higher than I'd be getting even as CPT, so being stuck at 1LT just adds insult to injury.

Comment

Well, just wait... I'll bet my bars to stripes that SFQC is going to be added injury to insult to injury for you!

Comment

Chief,
                              I think you meant SPC (P). E-4 "permanent"

Comment

Working...
                              X