X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UICs, Paragraph/Line Numbers

So I'm currently on AT(Somebody shoot me now and get it over with....). So I figure with all the standing around I might try to further my own personal development. There are a lot of "Career E-4s & E-5s" in my unit, and I refuse to be one of them.

So I'm playing around with the Army Career Tracker(I still don't get it, and my first line leaders don't use it AT ALL). There's this search feature that I'm not sure how accurate, basically lists what I believe to be all the available slots in units across the Guard? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I pretty much "know" if I'm to get my stripes before I ETS I have to leave this unit(Stripes or no I'm still leaving....Signal Corps is for the birds). But anyway I see the "listings" but all it gives me is a UIC and the city. I can pretty much guess some, but not all. Is there a "Super Secret Decoder" on AKO that will tell me these specific units?

I keep talking to my local BCC and he keeps telling me there is NOTHING I can do to move up without driving 3+ hrs from my HOR. I'm not necessarily against(I am to a degree) that but maybe I wasn't asking my local BCC for the right MOSs or units. But maybe what I'm doing wrong is that I'm not getting the information from the correct source. I figure if I can find out which units these are based on the UIC I can talk to the appropriate RNCO or UA who can say if these paragraph/line numbers are what I figure them to be.

Thanks for anybody who can offer assistance.

Re: UICs, Paragraph/Line Numbers

Information is not the same as knowledge, and neither are the same as wisdom. I'm not happy with raw, uninterpreted data made available to the world, because it's very easy to misinterpret if you don't have the background and frame of reference. The fact that a vacancy exists doesn't mean that it's available to you, since any personnel database is a snapshot of a moving river. That vacancy could be pending a fill from a number of different sources, and thus unavailable; or the unit pending a reorganization, and thus not eligible for fill.

Your NCO leadership should work with you on your career path. Before you go to them, ensure that you've done your own work, by making decisions as to your priorities and willingness to sacrifice. Is your priority promotion? Then you may need to drive far. Is it a close unit? Then you may need to reclass to an MOS you don't particularly love. Everything in life has a price to pay, you need to ensure that the price is worth it to you.

Your leadership will do more work for a good Soldier than a marginal one, so ensure that your own performance warrants their effort.

Comment

As a Signaleer, sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction.

Anyway, in my case, I was a 12B in the Guard that had excellent potential opportunity and was a 15 minute drive from my house. Regardless, I still sought out a unit, because I wanted to change my MOS (ended up being 42A) and that unit was now 80 miles away. 42A promotion opportunities are less than 12B but I still was able to get my stripes.

I had to locate units on my own and interview with the full-timer on my own time so I can receive a letter of vacancy to transfer.

Like the Colonel stated, you need to do your part as well. Go seek and call units.

Comment

Maybe I'm not being clear on that part, I have no problems seeking out the units. As a matter of fact that was my whole reason for trying to learn more about the ACT. I know that if you want to make things happen with your career you have to do 90% of the work yourself. The other 10% is just getting permission and a signature. I practically orchestrated my own IST from Virginia to Florida. In any case, my main dilemma is that I don't know which units correspond with the UICs. If I could get that information, which I suppose the BCC SHOULD be able to supply me with, I think I'll be just fine.

Comment

ACT is still in its infancy and the portal is far from robust and its implementation (still on the AD side) is nowhere realized. I played with ACT last year and threw my hands up in the air as well.

Now with AD, you work with your branch manager and immediate leadership that may/may not have assignment connections. There is a system (do not remember the name at this moment) that I am able to look at the UICs/MTOE slots of the unit. I think it begins with an F. I have to contact my WO buddy for that info.

In your case, what we posted is much more simpler. You trying to track down UICs is more legwork and unnecessary. You are 25 series and if you are trying to get an aggregate view on 25 series slots; then make a call to your STARC S1 for information.

Comment

BTW, what is BCC?

Here is ACT info for people who may not be aware.

https://g1arng.army.pentagon.mil/pag...ouncementID=75

Again, the portal is active but I currently do not use it for assignment purposes.
            Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; May 12th, 2013, 11:38 AM.

Comment

BCC is Battalion Career Counselor. From my understanding it's an additional skill identifier for a 79T who assists you in moving/changing units throughout the state.

Chief if you read my first post I am NEVER joining a Signal unit again, unless it's as a 74D20. It's too much standing around and for people having to have the line scores they do to get these MOSs they treat you like you have no common sense(at least in my Battalion). Besides 75% of a "Signaleer" is really just being an Assistant Humvee Mechanic.

I know there is a system the BCC uses that has this information; whether it starts with an F or not I don't know. That's probably what he uses when he's recruiting civies off the street.

But if you can find that I think I've narrowed down my choices to: 74D20, 15P20, 46Q20, and 46R20

EDIT - State is Florida, BTW
              Last edited by Zero259; May 12th, 2013, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero259 View Post
                ...It's too much standing around and for people having to have the line scores they do to get these MOSs they treat you like you have no common sense(at least in my Battalion)....

+ 1, but then again it is uniformed service....couldn't resist.

Comment

Ok, I never heard of a Career Counselor having that acronym and I dealt with one years ago when I re-enlisted as a Staff Sergeant. Also, my Signaleers are actively engage so it is bad news to hear that a Signaleer as yourself is experiencing that.

I do not know if you will be happy with CBRN but that is your choice.

Also, are you currently and E4 or E5? Because you know there will be much more slots at the 10 level than 20 for reclassing/slot opening purposes.

Comment

That's what they call themselves so I just roll with it Chief....*Shrugs*

I'm currently a SPC(P) trying to find a CMF with available E-5 slots.

I love CBRN actually, 74 Series was my original PMOS. In the process of applying for multiple AGR positions on CSTs Nationwide.

Comment

Ok here is the portal where you can call personnel for info

http://www.floridaguard.army.mil/about-us/contacts

http://www.floridaguard.army.mil/

Comment

So you're saying I should call MILPO?

Comment

Originally posted by Zero259 View Post
                          So you're saying I should call MILPO?
                          Yes, call this number and explain what have you done thus far to find a new home.

Military Personnel Office (904) 823-0305
                          Or have them re-direct you to another number for assistance.

Comment

Will do, I'm going to contact them tomorrow as well as the BCC and I'll let you know what happens.

Comment

I wish I was in Signal....I'm an 'old' new soldier enlisted at 32 years old and wish received a Signal slot, I am 91B and will try to go signal when I reenlist as I would like to go Warrant...my day job is IT and I have A+ Server + MCSE 2003 & Sitting VCP next month, I feel I could be a better Signal soldier than I could a mechanic but hey that decision is not up to me, I am just saying someone would like to be in your shoes but good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X