X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LRS Units

Can anyone give me information about them? what's their purpose. What states have them, requirements, MOS preferences, anything? They seem like a step down from special forces but a step up from most types of units.

Re: LRS Units

Originally posted by GodVortek View Post
    Can anyone give me information about them? what's their purpose. What states have them, requirements, MOS preferences, anything? They seem like a step down from special forces but a step up from most types of units.
    Special Forces and LRS serve completely different purposes. But don't think of LRSU's as the "B" team.

MISSION

LRSUs operate up to 100 kilometres (62 mi) from the Forward Line Of Troops (FLOT) for a maximum of 5 days.Their five primary missions are reconnaissance, surveillance, target acquisition, battle damage assessment, and force protection. They also have many secondary missions capabilities to include carrying out emergency assaults or providing general battlefield information (weather and light data, map data, etc.) to military intelligence sources.

ORGANIZATION

LRS units (LRSU) are Infantry company-size elements that are assets within a Battlefield Surveillance Brigade's Reconnaissance & Surveillance Squadron (R&S Squadron) designated as US Army Cavalry but are functionally Airborne Infantry units. The LRSU is structured as an LRS troop (a "troop" is the Cavalry equivalent of an infantry company) comprising three LRS platoons, a communications Platoon, and a Troop Headquarters. Within the LRS troop the LRS platoons typically have designated specialties. For example, one platoon will specialize in Long Range Surveillance missions, another will specialize in Pathfinder missions and a third will specialize in sniper and target acquisition missions. (This informal arrangement is established by the commander of each LRS troop and varies from unit to unit.)
    LRS platoons are organized as five unsupported LRS teams.

Wikipedia
    Last edited by VICEROY06; May 5th, 2013, 10:27 PM.

Comment

"step down from special forces but a step up from most types of units"..............................spoken like a Private!

Comment

Originally posted by AIRBORNE View Post
        "step down from special forces but a step up from most types of units"..............................spoken like a Private!
        Even a PFC should know better. Oh well.

Comment

Lmao I mean its more focused and specific than a normal light infantry company, but doesnt seem as hefty or as demanding as a special forces company. More of what I want to know is what states have them, I know most LRS units are fading away but where do they still have them? What MOS is likely to get into a LRS unit? I know 11B and a E5 in my unit was a 68W where he served as a support medic for 20th sfg. But what other mos are likely needed out of a LRS unit. I'm considering switching to 12B and I'm curious if LRS would look at combat engineers for their type of mission or not

Comment

Lmao I mean its more focused and specific than a normal light infantry company, but doesnt seem as hefty or as demanding as a special forces company. More of what I want to know is what states have them, I know most LRS units are fading away but where do they still have them? What MOS is likely to get into a LRS unit? I know 11B and a E5 in my unit was a 68W where he served as a support medic for 20th sfg. But what other mos are likely needed out of a LRS unit. I'm considering switching to 12B and I'm curious if LRS would look at combat engineers for their type of mission or not
            I would have given a more complete answer but at the time I was still recovering from a high speed 4.8 mile ruck march that was supposed to be only 3 miles. Funny how they keep telling you to 'walk it out' when they really mean for you to run.

There is an LRSU in Geneva, Alabama--I was offered a slot by an NCO there a couple years ago when I was an 11B. Not only is Infantry the MOS of choice to get into an LRSU, you will also get first dibs on schools. After long thought I chose not to take that path. Starting out in an LRSU with long-term impact on the knees and feet in my 40's is not the way to go.

Though both LRSU's and Special Forces operate independently from a large force, the function of LRS is largely evasive--emphasis LONG RANGE SURVEILLENCE--Evade detection while gathering intel. The function of Special Forces is invasive--To infiltrate, disrupt--engage in unconventional warfare.

As to whether they're looking for a 12B I can't say whether or not they are. Anything is possible. You would have to call them and find out.
            Last edited by VICEROY06; May 6th, 2013, 04:35 PM.

Comment

So If I'm trying to get into a LRSU, I shouldn't go 12B?

Comment

So If I'm trying to get into a LRSU, I shouldn't go 12B?
                You would probably have a better shot as a Cav Scout (19D).

Comment

I was in a RSTA Recon Survaliance Target Acquisition unit in Jersey, everyone was 11b

Comment

Working...
                  X