X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to migrate AKO Email to Enterprise Email for Iphone

I searched the forums, but had trouble finding any relevant info. on the problem I and several soldiers are having. Basically have not found a way to migrate the new " mil@mail.mil " or ( EE )email domain to show up, or check on my IPhone like we were able to with the previous AKO email.

I have checked a really skilled " CAC GuRu " Information Services Warrant's site everyone should check out ,CW3 Danberry's site " MilitaryCAC.com ", and gone through repeated steps to wind up with NO-GO as far as accessing the enterprise Emails on my Iphone. From the info provided on the the site above, one would need to invest in an $80-130$ portable CAC reader to plug into the Iphone, unless I missed something by chance. I personally have an Iphone 3gs as my family always seem to take advantage of the upgrades to the newer platform Iphones leaving me behind.

I know I speak for a lot of recruiters and supply SGT's on this issue, as these men an women spend the majority of the day out of the office in most cases.

Security wise I know some recruiters have gone to using Gmail and com. domains simply for the reason of being able to access an email account on the road. This in turn defeats the purpose of the CAC enabled only enterprise email I would think.

I know we have some really talented IT Officers and Enlisted on this site that hopefully can shed some light on this for me and fellow soldiers, if this is an option.

Thanks in advance for all input!

Re: Possible to migrate AKO Email to Enterprise Email for Iphone

Originally posted by BlitzGS430 View Post
    I searched the forums, but had trouble finding any relevant info. on the problem I and several soldiers are having. Basically have not found a way to migrate the new " mil@mail.mil " or ( EE )email domain to show up, or check on my IPhone like we were able to with the previous AKO email.

I have checked a really skilled " CAC GuRu " Information Services Warrant's site everyone should check out ,CW3 Danberry's site " MilitaryCAC.com ", and gone through repeated steps to wind up with NO-GO as far as accessing the enterprise Emails on my Iphone. From the info provided on the the site above, one would need to invest in an $80-130$ portable CAC reader to plug into the Iphone, unless I missed something by chance. I personally have an Iphone 3gs as my family always seem to take advantage of the upgrades to the newer platform Iphones leaving me behind.

I know I speak for a lot of recruiters and supply SGT's on this issue, as these men an women spend the majority of the day out of the office in most cases.

Security wise I know some recruiters have gone to using Gmail and com. domains simply for the reason of being able to access an email account on the road. This in turn defeats the purpose of the CAC enabled only enterprise email I would think.

I know we have some really talented IT Officers and Enlisted on this site that hopefully can shed some light on this for me and fellow soldiers, if this is an option.

Thanks in advance for all input!
    +1. It's not just recruiters. If the intent was to make AKO more secure by walling its content off, they failed completely because content is being distributed outside of the AKO domain.

Comment

There is currently no way to enable POP/IMAP directly to Mobile Devices, and you also can't use the Microsoft Exchange mobile device setup because you don't have a "password" to log in to Enterprise Email.

There "is" a bit of a work-around how you can automatically enable all the DISA E-mail to forward to Legacy Email accounts (not AKO, but others such as @conus.army.mil, @eur.army.mil, @forscom.army.mil, etc.). The caveat is it has to end in .army.mil, so it can't go to a Gmail or Yahoo account or any of those types. For example, my organization still has an external Army approved @xxx.army.mil server that we all set our EE to forward to. It allows us to still access official email on our issued BlackBerries/iPhones, etc.

Basically if your Legacy Email was configured to go to a mobile device, then using this forward setup will enable that to still happen. I have a PDF on the work-around instructions "if" that would help.

Comment

I am a Signal Warrant and corresponded with Chief Danberry but you can discuss your concerns on the Signal MilBook portal. The plan is that AKO web mail will go away (in which I don't agree with) and EE mail will be the main DoD mail system run by DISA. Overall, it is much better than a local exchange account since you are not confined to you mil domain as cloud computing engulfs the military. For the time being, access it at home or work or go to any public facility where you able to connect the CAC and download the certificates. Remember web dot mail dot mil. Https

Comment

AKO sucks. CAC sucks. Both launched and handled poorly by the military in terms of setting up and support, especially the Guard.

The only way I still get mine, is because I am able to forward it to another .gov email address only. Another thing that sucks, unless they relaxed on that.

Comment

Well this is gonna mean a lot of unhappy folks if the traditional guardsman can not access emails on a mobile device. I foresee a lot of people now not getting a lot of info that they previously did. ie : changes in drill locations, equip to bring, etc.

Need a work around or something.

Comment

Well this is gonna mean a lot of unhappy folks if the traditional guardsman can not access emails on a mobile device. I foresee a lot of people now not getting a lot of info that they previously did. ie : changes in drill locations, equip to bring, etc.

The work around that is actually in place these days is soldiers just using non government domains for military content.

Comment

Well, you can still setup a rule on EE mail that forwards a copy of the message to your AKO email. I have that currently in place now. You can still access AKO e-mail without a CAC card. Just select, I DO NOT HAVE A CAC/PIV. Works for me on my iPhone.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                  Well, you can still setup a rule on EE mail that forwards a copy of the message to your AKO email. I have that currently in place now. You can still access AKO e-mail without a CAC card. Just select, I DO NOT HAVE A CAC/PIV. Works for me on my iPhone.

Yes Sir, I believe that what one of my Readiness NCO's was doing until his AKO got zapped as well as did mine. In other words my AKO email now no longer -exist. Supposedly if someone emails my AKO email add., the email will go ahead to my EE email address, but only for a limited time to give me time to alert contacts to my new EE mail address. If I am mistaken please let me know.

Comment

End state is after the month of May, AKO Webmail is getting shut off period except for those that have been granted exceptions. From that point forward, as BlitzGS430 has mentioned, emails addressed to your AKO address (@us.army.mil) will automatically forward/appear in your EE (@mail.mil). The old address remains valid, just the AKO Webmail interface will cease to exist. This has already happend for certain soldiers and civilians. In the event you had a forward set up, it would be useless... like a do loop.

What's killing me right now is my dual persona because I've got a CIV account that has migrated to EE, but my MIL M-day account has not migrated yet so emails are essentially getting split up. Luckily they all forward to the same BlackBerry for the moment, but it makes things a bit funky.

Comment

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post

What's killing me right now is my dual persona because I've got a CIV account that has migrated to EE, but my MIL M-day account has not migrated yet so emails are essentially getting split up. Luckily they all forward to the same BlackBerry for the moment, but it makes things a bit funky.
                      Because I'm still on us.army.mil, I have to go through my supply Sergeant's AKO email to get my AGO-68 to my readiness NCO because he's on mil.army.mil or whatever that junk is. Very aggrevating.

Comment

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
                        End state is after the month of May, AKO Webmail is getting shut off period except for those that have been granted exceptions. From that point forward, as BlitzGS430 has mentioned, emails addressed to your AKO address (@us.army.mil) will automatically forward/appear in your EE (@mail.mil). The old address remains valid, just the AKO Webmail interface will cease to exist. This has already happend for certain soldiers and civilians. In the event you had a forward set up, it would be useless... like a do loop.

I know that was the intent. I was on beta.army.mil and that was shut off last month. I will look at the exception criteria for AKO webmail but it is still functional for myself and I guess active duty across the board.

http://fcw.com/articles/2011/06/30/a...utter-ako.aspx

Do you have that information for end state at the end of May?

I know the bottom line is security but for many, you are going back to the first problem which is limitations in accessing your e-mail; mainly location.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                          Because I'm still on us.army.mil, I have to go through my supply Sergeant's AKO email to get my AGO-68 to my readiness NCO because he's on mil.army.mil or whatever that junk is. Very aggrevating.
                          its .mil@mail.mil

I do not understand that last comment. You can email a mail.mil account from any email address. If you are talking about the GAL; why don't you simply copy his e-mail address down and e-mail from whatever email account you have?

Comment

its .mil@mail.mil

I do not understand that last comment. You can email a mail.mil account from any email address. If you are talking about the GAL; why don't you simply copy his e-mail address down and e-mail from whatever email account you have?
                            I shot the email to my readiness NCO from my us.army.mil address and it returned 'undelivered'. I talked to my supply sergeant about it and had a long explanation about it. He said I'd have to shoot the email to him where he can just send it to the readiness NCO.

Comment

I know that was the intent. I was on beta.army.mil and that was shut off last month. I will look at the exception criteria for AKO webmail but it is still functional for myself and I guess active duty across the board.

http://fcw.com/articles/2011/06/30/a...utter-ako.aspx

Do you have that information for end state at the end of May?

I know the bottom line is security but for many, you are going back to the first problem which is limitations in accessing your e-mail; mainly location.
                              Actually Chief, I've got a document that came through my IMO down from DA CIO/G-6 that stated AKO Webmail was going to turn of on 31 March across the board. That message came out in early February so the situation has changed since then. I think the driver is most states have not fully migrated their M-Day soldiers. Most ADOS, AGR, etc. have migrated but your normal drill status soldiers have not.

My entire AD TDA organization has migrated, and all my Civilian co-workers can no longer access their AKO Webmail and are forced to use the EE Microsoft Exchange interface. I'm M-Day apart from my CIV job so mine still works, at least until TN migrates us which is targeted for mid-May.

Comment

Working...
                              X