X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sapper Companies

When looking at a unit, how can I tell if it's a sapper company? such as Co A 229th Engr Bn, would that be general 12 series MOSs while Co A 229th Engr Bn (Cbt) would that be a sapper company?

As in a previous thread, I'm moving to Virginia in a few months and my training NCO printed out a list of the units in VA with phone numbers so I can see what units would be maybe willing to reclass me, and if not, what units have slots for me in my current MOS, and then they would process the IST for me. Basically, I've been really considering 12B as long as it's in a sapper company and not route clearance, etc. How do I know which are sapper companies?

Re: Sapper Companies

If a unit has a (CBT) identifier it could be a Sapper company or a MAC company, or the Battalion may be combat heavy. The only way to know for sure is to call.

But if you are looking at avoiding route clearance might want to rethink about becoming a 12B, our Sapper company has deployed 3 times to perform route clearance.

Comment

237th EN CO in West Point, VA is a Sapper unit.

Comment

If you're a 12B and in any sort of combat engineer unit, you'll do pretty much do route clearance. I am in a MAC company and have done RC. But I can tell you two "Sapper" companies that have also done route clearance. In the current OEF environment, 12B is 12B. And 12B ( in any actual combat unit ) means route clearance.

Comment

Roger that guys, I'm not super opposed to route clearance, just if I can get into 12B I would like a unit that utilizes all aspects of the MOS, not just route clearance.

Comment

Originally posted by GodVortek View Post
            Roger that guys, I'm not super opposed to route clearance, just if I can get into 12B I would like a unit that utilizes all aspects of the MOS, not just route clearance.
            Your unit will train on all collective and individual aspects of the unit's MTOE. What your unit prepares for and does downrange is a different story. I was 12B and trained on building bailey bridges but never did it real-world. Real-world was building land-nav courses and AT missions to help build the fence at the Mexico-US border.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
              Your unit will train on all collective and individual aspects of the unit's MTOE. What your unit prepares for and does downrange is a different story. I was 12B and trained on building bailey bridges but never did it real-world. Real-world was building land-nav courses and AT missions to help build the fence at the Mexico-US border.
              +1

I'm in a Sapper company. I'm currently in Afghanistan and our mission is route clearance. Seeing as how IED's are the biggest threat in theater (aside from green on blue) 12B's are doomed to the RCP mission. It really sucks. Lucky for me I'm the blow in place certified guy in the platoon, so I can take care of most IED's by myself. The big and complicated **** still has to go to EOD.

Before this deployment we trained on a myriad of tasks. Some fun and some ridiculous, like clearing a mine field using a grappling hook. As if anyone would ever do that, ever, in this modern day and age. The conventional use of 12B's in a conventional war could be bad ass, but this isn't a conventional war. 12B's clear obstacles (mobility) and IED's are wicked obstacles.

Comment

Working...
              X