Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Extensions- I think someone is lying to me...

Forgive me first of all as I am new to this board and do not yet understand the customs or courtesies.

I am currently a Staff Sergeant in the Guard right now but I need to extend for Sniper School and a two week overseas mission. I am being told that I have to extend which is a given, but they are saying I have to add a year on my ETS date, not a year from the end of the school which takes place after the overseas missions which is the minimum required service commitment. Could someone tell me if this is true or are they trying to snake some reenlistment numbers. What is the minimum time I have to add a year from, my ETS or one year out from the school and where is this backed up in regulation.

Long days and pleasant nights,
    SSG. G-

Re: Question About Extensions- I think someone is lying to me...

Regulatory guidance on the time remaining in service (TRS) obligation incurred after attending military schools is found in AR 614-200, Chapter 4 (Enlisted Assignments and Utilization Management).

Soldiers who are selected for and attend service schools incur a TRS obligation based on the length of the course. The TRS obligation commences upon completion of the course. Soldiers with insufficient TRS to meet the prescribed TRS obligation must reenlist or extend before attending training. The maximum TRS obligation for school attendance is 36 months.

TRS requirements for some special training or career development programs may differ from those normally prescribed for military school attendance. Soldiers selected for special training programs must meet the TRS obligation prescribed for the program selected.

Soldiers who met the TRS requirement at the beginning of school attendance do not incur any additional TRS obligations if they are held over or recycled. The TRS obligation is six months for soldiers attending NCO education System courses, regardless of the length of the course, except for attendance at the U.S. Army Sergeants Major Course, which incurs a 24-month TRS obligation.

Voluntary retirements will not be approved for Soldiers until after they have completed all TRS obligations, to include those resulting from school attendance.

Comment

A quick and dirty search on Google for this issue says that Sniper School is 5 weeks long and a soldier must have at least a year left (before ETS) at the completion of their school in order for the NG to make use of their skills.

I didn't find any specifics on having to add a year to your contract just for going to the school itself. So, are you doing the mission and then the school or vice versa? Because, it matters in terms of time left.

Personally, I'd question the extension period and ask to see it in writing... you may be getting hosed.

Comment

I do not think you are purposely being lied to but the person providing the information may be misinformed.

Comment

Working...
        X