X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Already Enlisted as 11B for about 2 weeks now background check came back

I recently went through my enlisting process at MEPS, passed everything that needed to be passed answered all questions regarding medical and past criminal charges truthfully, problem is I did forget about a previous charge that occurred years ago in a different state which was outright dismissed and i simply had to pay the court cost. My recruiter contacted me and I was able to track down the court docs and immediately brought them down to her! I asked her if this would be an automatic discharge, or be considered as an fraudulent enlistment she said she was unsure and she will have to wait and see what MEPS says. It's only been a day but i am so nervous because of the research I've been doing via google and so many different responses. The charge was possession of "suspected" marijuana under 50 grams and I was a codefendant but like I said charge dismissed against me! Any feed back please! Thank You!

Re: Already Enlisted as 11B for about 2 weeks now background check came back

Well, there are certainly more experienced members on here when it comes to convictions, charges, dismisses, and the like. I will refer to them on that. However, I do want to point out that there is practically no tolerance for drug related issues when it comes to waivers (if you end up needing one). So, it will be interesting to see how this works out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by PresL View Post
      I recently went through my enlisting process at MEPS, passed everything that needed to be passed answered all questions regarding medical and past criminal charges truthfully, problem is I did forget about a previous charge that occurred years ago in a different state which was outright dismissed and i simply had to pay the court cost. My recruiter contacted me and I was able to track down the court docs and immediately brought them down to her! I asked her if this would be an automatic discharge, or be considered as an fraudulent enlistment she said she was unsure and she will have to wait and see what MEPS says. It's only been a day but i am so nervous because of the research I've been doing via google and so many different responses. The charge was possession of "suspected" marijuana under 50 grams and I was a codefendant but like I said charge dismissed against me! Any feed back please! Thank You!
      You don't pay court costs for a charge that was "outright" dismissed, which is really called dismissed without prejudice. If you paid court costs that indicates there was some type of condition on the dismissal, which has a high probability of causing you a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by PresL View Post
        You can go to the courthouse and secure the necessary documents for yourself. It helps to give the desk clerk the impression that this a 'military issue' and not just you handling this on your own for the fun of it.

If your case was truly "dismissed", then your court document should have a stamp on it that reads: "Nol Pros" or "Nol Prossed", which means to drop prosecution of by entering a nolle prosequi in court records.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
          You can go to the courthouse and secure the necessary documents for yourself. It helps to give the desk clerk the impression that this a 'military issue' and not just you handling this on your own for the fun of it.

If your case was truly "dismissed", then your court document should have a stamp on it that reads: "Nol Pros" or "Nol Prossed", which means to drop prosecution of by entering a nolle prosequi in court records.
          Not ever state uses the terminology "nol process" or its variants. In my experience, I have found that to be common with states in the south, however you cannot use that terminology as a parameter to determine if the case was dropped without prejudice. The fact that there were court costs involved is significant evidence that there was a condition on the dismissal, in which the army will consider it a conviciton.

Comment

Working...
          X