Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

IRR help

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • IRR help

    Hello I've read a few threads trying to find an answer to my question but did not find it. I Just got out of the army in December and signed up for the national guard because I was told it would be 2 days a month 2 weeks a year. I would lose two years of IRR time and be non deployable, and most importantly the national guard would work with me and my college schedule. However my unit works from Thursday to Late Sunday every month and is about 90 miles away. This completely conflicts with my college. I brought this up to my chain of command and I was told they will just kick me out and I'll just lose my GI benefits due to a dishonorable discharge. Even though I spent five years in the army with four deployments, I apparently haven't earned it. So my question is, is it possible to go back to the IRR for the rest of my IRR time? If so how would I go about it, and will it negate the 1 year 10 month contract I signed? Thank you for your time.

  • #2
    Re: IRR help

    Originally posted by Greeneyedghost View Post
    Hello I've read a few threads trying to find an answer to my question but did not find it. I Just got out of the army in December and signed up for the national guard because I was told it would be 2 days a month 2 weeks a year. I would lose two years of IRR time and be non deployable, and most importantly the national guard would work with me and my college schedule. However my unit works from Thursday to Late Sunday every month and is about 90 miles away. This completely conflicts with my college. I brought this up to my chain of command and I was told they will just kick me out and I'll just lose my GI benefits due to a dishonorable discharge. Even though I spent five years in the army with four deployments, I apparently haven't earned it. So my question is, is it possible to go back to the IRR for the rest of my IRR time? If so how would I go about it, and will it negate the 1 year 10 month contract I signed? Thank you for your time.
    1. People do not get dishonorable discharges unless they have been convicted by a General Court Martial. It is a punitive discharge, not administrative.

    2. I have known a unit or two; especially while gearing up for a deployment; to do what is know as a MUTA 5 or MUTA 6 drill, which can include a Friday and maybe a thrusday night. However, no unit I have ever seen would do this EVERY drill. Are you positive you have a full, current year drill schedule?

    3. I have no idea what you mean by losing 2 years of IRR time.

    4. What makes you believe you are non deployable?

    5. Even if you were seperated, that would not "overide" your previous honrable discharge that earned you benefits. In other words, whatever you earned before you joined the guard, you would still have. There are inmates incarcerated at Fort Knox who take online classes using the GI Bill from previous, honorable periods of service in which they earned it.

    6. Is it possible to go back to the IRR, yes..possibly, but I don't think you need to.

    7. When you say you brought this up to your chain of command, that could include a lot of people. Just exactly who did you speak to?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: IRR help

      I was told California had a 2 year stabilization period for active soldiers going to the guard which is why I signed the contract(I don't know if it matters but I just returned home in October from a deployment). I was also told if I joined the guard it would cut my IRR time in half, leaving me a 1 year 10 month contract. My chain of command consists of a E-6 acting as First Sergeant. As far as the Thursday to Sunday drills it's for at least the next 4 months, that's all that I saw of the training calendar but I was told if it's not 4 days it will be 3.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: IRR help

        Originally posted by Greeneyedghost View Post
        I was told California had a 2 year stabilization period for active soldiers going to the guard which is why I signed the contract(I don't know if it matters but I just returned home in October from a deployment). I was also told if I joined the guard it would cut my IRR time in half, leaving me a 1 year 10 month contract. My chain of command consists of a E-6 acting as First Sergeant. As far as the Thursday to Sunday drills it's for at least the next 4 months, that's all that I saw of the training calendar but I was told if it's not 4 days it will be 3.
        Well, first get a copy of the year long drill schedule and see for yourself.

        Next, it doesn't matter what you were told, it matters what is in writing. The stabilization period is not something that would be in your contract; however there will be a written policy that addresses it. I have heard of stabilization policies for incoming Interstate transfers, but never for a prior service enlistee.....doesn't meant it doesnt exist thought. Find it in your JFHQ polices.

        As far as the IRR time, it doesn't matter how long, what branch, or where you join...everyone has an initial obligation of 8 years. If you were in the regular army for 5, joing the guard for aprox 2, you will have 1 year IRR time on the back side, should you not re enlist.

        Most 1SG's in their own right can throw a good amount of BS. Drop that two rockers and a diamond and that becomes muliplied by 100. Chances are this E-6 doesn't have a clue about seperation procedures and /or authorizing split training. If you don't get anywhere with him, just take it up the chain. What kind of unit is this, what is your MOS?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: IRR help

          Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
          Next, it doesn't matter what you were told, it matters what is in writing. The stabilization period is not something that would be in your contract; however there will be a written policy that addresses it. I have heard of stabilization policies for incoming Interstate transfers, but never for a prior service enlistee.....doesn't meant it doesnt exist thought. Find it in your JFHQ polices.

          As far as the IRR time, it doesn't matter how long, what branch, or where you join...everyone has an initial obligation of 8 years. If you were in the regular army for 5, joing the guard for aprox 2, you will have 1 year IRR time on the back side, should you not re enlist.
          You berate posters all the time about not posting about what they don't understand, yet you do it. The 2 year stabilization and dropping the MSO are pretty standard enlistment options for the last several years.

          OP, work with your unit. If they're doing Fri-Sun drills, it probably won't last for long as that would burn through their UTA's pretty quickly. I've used Fri-Sun for range weekends but was flexible for those who couldn't make all day Friday. Before getting frustrated and quitting, see if your unit will work with you. If some SSG is giving you grief over it, talk to the commander. That is your right as a Soldier.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: IRR help

            11b it is an infantry unit. So basically at least half of what the recruiter said was BS. That being said I will move up the chain of command. But as a back up plan what would be the process for going to IRR? After what you have told me the NG is more of a detriment to me moving on with my life then an asset, since the reasons I joined are false. Thank you for your all help.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: IRR help

              Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
              You berate posters all the time about not posting about what they don't understand, yet you do it. The 2 year stabilization and dropping the MSO are pretty standard enlistment options for the last several years.

              OP, work with your unit. If they're doing Fri-Sun drills, it probably won't last for long as that would burn through their UTA's pretty quickly. I've used Fri-Sun for range weekends but was flexible for those who couldn't make all day Friday. Before getting frustrated and quitting, see if your unit will work with you. If some SSG is giving you grief over it, talk to the commander. That is your right as a Soldier.
              Thank you, I plan on it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: IRR help

                Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                You berate posters all the time about not posting about what they don't understand, yet you do it. The 2 year stabilization and dropping the MSO are pretty standard enlistment options for the last several years.

                OP, work with your unit. If they're doing Fri-Sun drills, it probably won't last for long as that would burn through their UTA's pretty quickly. I've used Fri-Sun for range weekends but was flexible for those who couldn't make all day Friday. Before getting frustrated and quitting, see if your unit will work with you. If some SSG is giving you grief over it, talk to the commander. That is your right as a Soldier.
                If that is true I'll let you have that one. I swerved out of the lines a little on that one. It sill puts me around a 98.6 passer rating, but who is counting. You are around 3.7, and climbing. Keep it up.

                It would still be in writing, so it can at least ease the OPs concern by finding it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: IRR help

                  Paralegal, you must be running on a couple of Monsters lol.

                  So you left AD in December and all of this is happening at your first drill?

                  Amazing.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: IRR help

                    Help with the going to IRR process? I would still like to be educated on the subject.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: IRR help

                      Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                      Paralegal, you must be running on a couple of Monsters lol.

                      So you left AD in December and all of this is happening at your first drill?

                      Amazing.
                      Sure is. What a blast

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: IRR help

                        Originally posted by Greeneyedghost View Post
                        Help with the going to IRR process? I would still like to be educated on the subject.
                        You would have to work with your chain of command to be put back in the IRR. It's a long process that takes several months.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: IRR help

                          Transferring to the IRR does not have to be a long process and should not take several months. It is all a matter of getting all documents to include exit counselings done in a timely manner. I work with several S1s in CA and assist them in moving Enlisted Soldiers to the IRR who wish to explore options in the USAR but do not want to go back to MEPS. There are plenty of cases where transitioning between NG - USAR - IRR makes the most sense for one's career. When we work together, career counselors can often come up with great solutions for each individual Soldier. For example I have units in the Los Angeles area in severe need of E6s and who are willing to pay for reclassing. Feel free to email me if you have any questions joseph.j.brookshire.mil@mail.mil.

                          SFC Brookshire
                          Career Counselor

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X