Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I expect once I get to my vertical construction unit?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I expect once I get to my vertical construction unit?

Howdy yall,

I recently enlisted, just went through my first drill in RSP, and I'm stoked to go to basic and AIT. I enlisted as a 68W. I'm wondering what I can expect to be doing when I finally join my unit, which is an engineer company, specifically, vertical construction. I guess it would help to know a bit about the different rolls of this type of unit and how I might figure into it all. Any other 68Ws, espeically those who have been in for a while, who could give some insight would be awesome.

Re: What can I expect once I get to my vertical construction unit?

You are a medic so your role doesn't change much at all from unit to unit. From infantry to transportation to vertical construction, if someone gets a booboo they go to you for a bandaid and some ibuprofen. Along with the sound advice to drink more water, no matter what the injury or illness is.

Comment

Make sure you get a tactical vest so you can quickly distribute watered down cough syrup and calamine lotion.

Serious note - It may behoove you to talk with senior members of the unit and inquire about what the most common or likely injuries they could face are. Could make for some good training situations at least.

Comment

Haha. Ok. These are pretty much the sort of answers I was excpecting, but confirmation is always a good thing. To SteveLord, the note about asking for most common injuries is a good idea I hadn't thought of. Once I get through part of AIT and know better what I'm doing, maybe I'll ask those sorts of questions to build my game plan. One more question though, what other sorts of duties besides typical medic duties can I expect, or is it pretty much strictly going to be limited to medic duties? I don't mind finding out once I get there, just interested to know is all. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

That will change from unit to unit. In every unit there are additional responsibilities givin to NCO's and officers, for instance I am my companies PT NCO. I run the APFT, over see the remedial PT program, put together packets for flags, bars, counselings etc. Its an additional responsibility beyond my responsibilities as a squad leader. Now for you being a brand new medic you most likely will not have any additional things thrown at you, but your senior medic might have additional things to train you on that go beyond what you learned at AIT. At least we can only hope thats the case. For training outside your MOS that will depend largely on the unit again. I have a medic assigned to my squad and I have him go on all the missions and through all the training lanes with my squad unless I'm told otherwise by the platoon sergeant or senior medic. So my medic has got a little bit of the 12B experience in the field.

Comment

Originally posted by selleck View Post
            what other sorts of duties besides typical medic duties can I expect, or is it pretty much strictly going to be limited to medic duties?
            We (naughty infantry guys) use to try and make medics and cadets the RTO (radio guy.) And these were the old heavy SINCGAR bricks. Sometimes they were so bored sitting in their tents/humvees that they wanted to come out and play so we made sure they got a work out and came back with dirt on their shirt.

Comment

Thanks, guys. These are exactely the answers I was looking for. I don't mind getting a little dirt on my shirt, so no qualms there.

Comment

I am a vertical platoon PL, as mentioned the duties of a medic are very similiar from an infantry unit to an engineer unit. Currently my favorite saying (my medic hates it) "is a bored medic is a good sign".

Comment

Working...
                X