X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer from USAR to NG

Looking for someone who has experience in this....

Enlisted buddy of mine wants to do a transfer from the Reserves to the NG. She's about 2.5 years in, E-4, has completed WLC already and is just about ready for the E-5 bump.

We have a specific unit in mind and if she could come on board, they will happily take her and send her to re-class (slots 'o plenty).

Now, I know she'll have to do the DD386. My question is this - what kind of obstacles will she have with her contract (no bonuses were given, no special schoools, etc.. straight 4x4)? Her unit is over MTOE and wouldn'e be hurt with her loss (on paper at least... she's fricken squared away).

Re: Transfer from USAR to NG

She needs to talk to her unit administrator about any other documentation she will need with her packet as this can be unit specific. She'll probably need to write a letter as to why she wants to be transferred into the IRR.

Comment

When I went from USAR to NG, I just went to the NG recruiter at the armory who got me into the unit I wanted. Did a meet a greet with the training NCO and Top. I was 12B and went to 12B slot. No incentives.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
        She needs to talk to her unit administrator about any other documentation she will need with her packet as this can be unit specific. She'll probably need to write a letter as to why she wants to be transferred into the IRR.
        IRR? I'm lost. Did I miss something in the original post? I thought the Soldier wanted to switch into the National Guard not IRR...

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
          IRR? I'm lost. Did I miss something in the original post? I thought the Soldier wanted to switch into the National Guard not IRR...
          Maybe she needs to go to the IRR first in order to transfer into the ARNG. For officers transferring to the USAR, it's common to go from the ARNG -> IRR -> USAR.

Although, I have to ask, why would she want to go to the ARNG instead of staying in the USAR?

Comment

IRR is irrelevant to this situation if the intent is to join the USAR and drill.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
              IRR is irrelevant to this situation if the intent is to join the USAR and drill.
              She's in the USAR already and wanting to transfer to the ARNG.

The times I've transferred back and forth between the NG and USAR, I've always done it through the IRR. Going into the IRR does make it a little easier as she wouldn't have to worry about the conditional release from expiring.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                She's in the USAR already and wanting to transfer to the ARNG.

The times I've transferred back and forth between the NG and USAR, I've always done it through the IRR. Going into the IRR does make it a little easier as she wouldn't have to worry about the conditional release from expiring.
                I had it backwards, you're right.

Comment

She is in a unit that, due to thier mission, they do not deploy. In addition, they are overstregnth and there is little chance of her picking up E-5 anytime soon.

Also, she'll be able to reclass into the MOS that she wants, pick up E-5 pretty quick and be able to deploy.

Comment

Paralegal, do you have input as to how her contract may be handled?

Comment

I'm confused as to why the IRR is even being considered. Your friend needs to visit the NG Recruiter, complete the 368 and take it to her current Commander. From there, the process can take some time. If this is something she wants to do she needs to be persistent with her UA. Upon release from the AR, her current contract ends and upon enlisting with the NG a new one begins.

Comment

Originally posted by NYGuardRecruiter View Post
                        I'm confused as to why the IRR is even being considered. Your friend needs to visit the NG Recruiter, complete the 368 and take it to her current Commander. From there, the process can take some time. If this is something she wants to do she needs to be persistent with her UA. Upon release from the AR, her current contract ends and upon enlisting with the NG a new one begins.
                        I said the IRR as that's the route I have always taken when I've switched back and forth from the two. Again, in some ways it makes a little easier on her as she's not in a hurry to complete the NG contract before the time on the 368 runs out.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                          When I went from USAR to NG, I just went to the NG recruiter at the armory who got me into the unit I wanted. Did a meet a greet with the training NCO and Top. I was 12B and went to 12B slot. No incentives.
                          Again, I am someone who has actually done this. This is not rocket science. Just have her talk to the NG recruiter and he/she will work the process. Granted, when I did this, it was late 1984 but I highly doubt the process has changed. I was drilling in the US Army Reserves with the 411 Eng Bde in Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn, NY and switched to the NYARNG with the 102nd Eng BN in Harlem, NY. I even drilled at the Armory on 168st and Broadway across the street from where Malcolm X was killed.

I did not go into the IRR whatsoever.
                          Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; December 5th, 2012, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all of the assistance everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                              Again, I am someone who has actually done this. This is not rocket science. Just have her talk to the NG recruiter and he/she will work the process. Granted, when I did this, it was late 1984 but I highly doubt the process has changed. I was drilling in the US Army Reserves with the 411 Eng Bde in Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn, NY and switched to the NYARNG with the 102nd Eng BN in Harlem, NY. I even drilled at the Armory on 168st and Broadway across the street from where Malcolm X was killed.

I did not go into the IRR whatsoever.
                              nuff said and yes the process has changed. Her first stop needs to be her UA's desk as I first posted.

Comment

Working...
                              X