X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-Enlistment Options

I am currently a 31B in the VA National Guard with a little less than a year left. I picked up a DUI charge last year and ended up losing my Security Clearance because of it. My current unit says they can not keep me on the books because I do not meet the requirements of a 31B anymore due to not having a security clearance. I do not want to leave the military and plan to re-enlist, I want to become a 68W , however, due to my current unit being mainly 31B, I can not complete school and return back to them because I would still require a clearance because of them being 31B.

My unit says that as long as I find a different unit that doesn't require a security clearance to be a 68W in, then it wouldn't be a problem for me to go to school and transfer to them. I went by the recruiters office today to check out the list of open slots within the Virginia National Guard. There were a lot of 68W slots available, however, the recruiter said that I would require a security clearance to take the slot and go to school but there were a lot of other options I had available. Is this is recruiting tactic to get me to enlist into an MOS that they really need filled? I understood that becoming a 68W did not require a security clearance and haven't seen anything against that idea until the recruiters.

I want to re-enlist, however, I do not want to be stuck with an MOS that I do not want to do. What are my options? Thank you!

Re: Re-Enlistment Options

Originally posted by arbinoj View Post
    I am currently a 31B in the VA National Guard with a little less than a year left. I picked up a DUI charge last year and ended up losing my Security Clearance because of it. My current unit says they can not keep me on the books because I do not meet the requirements of a 31B anymore due to not having a security clearance. I do not want to leave the military and plan to re-enlist, I want to become a 68W , however, due to my current unit being mainly 31B, I can not complete school and return back to them because I would still require a clearance because of them being 31B.

My unit says that as long as I find a different unit that doesn't require a security clearance to be a 68W in, then it wouldn't be a problem for me to go to school and transfer to them. I went by the recruiters office today to check out the list of open slots within the Virginia National Guard. There were a lot of 68W slots available, however, the recruiter said that I would require a security clearance to take the slot and go to school but there were a lot of other options I had available. Is this is recruiting tactic to get me to enlist into an MOS that they really need filled? I understood that becoming a 68W did not require a security clearance and haven't seen anything against that idea until the recruiters.

I want to re-enlist, however, I do not want to be stuck with an MOS that I do not want to do. What are my options? Thank you!
    You lost your clearance as a National Guardsman in a drilling status based off of one sole DUI charge?

What else are you not telling us.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
      You lost your clearance as a National Guardsman in a drilling status based off of one sole DUI charge?

What else are you not telling us.
      It was two DUI charges off duty last year, which of course resulted in me missing two months of drill due to jail time. I just assumed that one DUI would've ended the clearance alone and wouldn't have needed to mention the second one.
      Last edited by arbinoj; November 5th, 2012, 12:46 PM.

Comment

It was two DUI charges off duty last year, which of course resulted in me missing two months of drill due to jail time. I just assumed that one DUI would've ended the clearance alone and wouldn't have needed to mention the second one.
        Negative. Each state is different, but in my state if you get 2 DUI's within a 7 year period it could result in a felony depending upon the severity. Typically the second time will land you 30+ days in tent city.

If you don't want to air your dirty laundry for everyone to see then I suggest sending ParalegalNCO a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
          Negative. Each state is different, but in my state if you get 2 DUI's within a 7 year period it could result in a felony depending upon the severity. Typically the second time will land you 30+ days in tent city.

If you don't want to air your dirty laundry for everyone to see then I suggest sending ParalegalNCO a PM.
          Understood, I believe here it's 3 violations within either 5 or 10 years for a felony charge depending on the severity. I wasn't charged with a felony, just a misdemeanor. At this point, everything is already out there. Just trying to get the best information on what my possibilities are, it can't hurt me more than it already has.

Comment

You may want to take a look at this before you decide to stay around.

www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/ad2012_07.pdf

Comment

You may want to take a look at this before you decide to stay around.

www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/ad2012_07.pdf
              Having read that, I understood from my two offenses that a discharge should've happened. I'm not quite sure exactly how mine was handled, this all happened last year and it is just now that the unit is being notified that they can not keep me on the roster due to me not being 31B qualified anymore. I did have promotion orders for a transfer that were revoked due to this, but other than that and my unit asking what I wish to do now; that's all that I know came from my two mistakes.

My unit does wish to keep my and gave me two MOS's that they have slots for that would allow me to stay, however, me having less than a year left I would like to re-enlist into an MOS that I want to do in the long run. Which is why I brought up the 68W slot. My unit at first was okay sending me to school had I signed a new 6-year contract, however, it came down to me requiring a clearance as a 68W to stay in the unit because of them being 31B. Which puts me in my position now, can I not re-enlist to go to school as a 68W period due me not being able to get a clearance at the moment, or are there specific units/mos that allow a 68W without clearance. I was under the impression that going to 68W school does not require a security clearance or the ability to get one.

Comment

Having read that, I understood from my two offenses that a discharge should've happened. I'm not quite sure exactly how mine was handled, this all happened last year and it is just now that the unit is being notified that they can not keep me on the roster due to me not being 31B qualified anymore. I did have promotion orders for a transfer that were revoked due to this, but other than that and my unit asking what I wish to do now; that's all that I know came from my two mistakes.

My unit does wish to keep my and gave me two MOS's that they have slots for that would allow me to stay, however, me having less than a year left I would like to re-enlist into an MOS that I want to do in the long run. Which is why I brought up the 68W slot. My unit at first was okay sending me to school had I signed a new 6-year contract, however, it came down to me requiring a clearance as a 68W to stay in the unit because of them being 31B. Which puts me in my position now, can I not re-enlist to go to school as a 68W period due me not being able to get a clearance at the moment, or are there specific units/mos that allow a 68W without clearance. I was under the impression that going to 68W school does not require a security clearance or the ability to get one.
                Well it's not their choice whether to retain you or not. I posted that so you understand that at any time a current commander discovers the DUI's he/she can pull the trigger.

Comment

Well it's not their choice whether to retain you or not. I posted that so you understand that at any time a current commander discovers the DUI's he/she can pull the trigger.
                  Oh, that makes sense. I thought that once a unit had dealt with an issue, it could not be brought back up. How would a commander from a new unit find out about previous DUI's and how long does this stick with me?

Comment

Oh, that makes sense. I thought that once a unit had dealt with an issue, it could not be brought back up. How would a commander from a new unit find out about previous DUI's and how long does this stick with me?
                    Not this type of issue. If we were talking about true punitive actions like court martials and article 15's that already disposed of misconduct then you are partially correct. When it comes to seperations it is administrative. It will remain a possibility as long as those rules are in effect.

They can find out a number of ways, word of mouth, random checks, who knows....doesn't mean they are looking for it, but its a small world.

Comment

Not this type of issue. If we were talking about true punitive actions like court martials and article 15's that already disposed of misconduct then you are partially correct. When it comes to seperations it is administrative. It will remain a possibility as long as those rules are in effect.

They can find out a number of ways, word of mouth, random checks, who knows....doesn't mean they are looking for it, but its a small world.
                      It really is a small world. But will the DUI's keep me from going to 68W school if I were to find a different unit to transfer to beforehand?

Comment

It really is a small world. But will the DUI's keep me from going to 68W school if I were to find a different unit to transfer to beforehand?
                        I don't know what the requirements for 68W are. But if you want the factual answer, the DUI's are supposed to put you out of the service, I can't see you going to 68W as a civilian. What happens in between now and then can be anyones guess.

Comment

I don't know what the requirements for 68W are. But if you want the factual answer, the DUI's are supposed to put you out of the service, I can't see you going to 68W as a civilian. What happens in between now and then can be anyones guess.
                          I understand, thank you for all the information!

Comment

You will require a security clearance for 68W...the recruiter isn't jerking your chain.

Also, did your license get suspended for any time or is it still suspended? That would prevent you from reclassing to any MOS that requires a drivers license.
                            Last edited by HR NCO; November 5th, 2012, 08:19 PM.

Comment

To add to this, you mentioned re-enlisting. Unfortunately, there is currently a suspension on PS needing a misconduct waiver. None are being processed at this time.

Comment

Working...
                              X