Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guard to active duty transition

Thinkin about goin active. I'm not looking for answers on how to
    Switch just wonderin what the transitions like once it happens. Do
    They just give you a date to report to your duty station?

How are those first few weeks? I feel like my pt isn't as great as it used to be
    Is it rough goin back to structured pt and army life?

Re: Guard to active duty transition

There are many threads touching upon this subject. Not going to happen anytime soon....

Comment

Mind pulling some of those up? I dot really know what key words to search for. And how so? It seems like 13B is an mos open for ps?

Comment

Originally posted by jc091393 View Post
        Mind pulling some of those up? I dot really know what key words to search for. And how so? It seems like 13B is an mos open for ps?
        Search "prior service business rules"

Comment

Thank you sergeant but I'm just wanting info on what the transition is like, not how to transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by jc091393 View Post
            The transition is incredibly painful for soldiers who are not proactive.

Comment

I switched from NG to Army active (served active before that in the Marine Corps) and I was an old cat. I cannot believe it is going on ten years when I started that process (MEPs, talking to an AD recruiter, etc). I re-classed as a military policeman, when to Fort Leonard Wood for two months training and received orders to the 101st Airborne at Fort Campbell, KY.

As Paralegal could testify to, PT there is high-speed and high-caliber with a bunch of hooah schools (Air Assault, Pathfinder, RIP (the older name), SPIES/FRIES, etc). I was in decent shape in the Guard but we never did a four mile group run with any of my Guard units (Yes, I have done many longer runs before that when I was in the Marines). But even when I was in PLDC and BNCOC in the Guard; I never ran that far. I ran far on my own personal time. Anyway, at the 101st, I saw NCOs grabbing stragglers by their T-shirts when they appeared to be falling out, dragging them and forcing them to run at a full sprint. When I got to the 101st Replacement Company, it was high-speed PT from day 1. Since you are young, you should get in shape in no time; even though I have seen some young, fit looking soldiers that still have problem with PT.

Now that was the 101st. Not every active unit is like that. I am with the 4th Infantry Division and they do intense PT but not the same as the 101st (My opinion from my observations). Also, in 2007, I was selected for Warrant Officer Candidate School and at that time, I was an MP on PSD duty, so basically from 2007 to now, I been PTing on my own and have rarely showed up for a formation. But as an enlisted (usually 1SG/E-7 and below), you are expected to be at formations at all times. And those accountability formations which are daily are held at 0630. Now, some places, they are making the officer staff show up to formation. When I was in Germany, for the 3.7 years I was stationed there, I never showed up for a morning formation. Just at first work call which was 0830.

But yes, you could have done a search because out of my 2100 posts; over 800 of them has told this exact story. haha.
              Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; November 1st, 2012, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Thank you! I talked to an AD recruiter and got my 368. Seems like they're taking 13Bs.
                Now I just have to see how long the process takes.

Comment

If your 368 is already signed, it shouldn't take particularly long. Good luck!

Comment

Sorry I should've phrased that better. I got the 368 from the recruiter. Still need to give it to my chain of command
                    This coming drill. We're overstrength though so hopefully that helps.

Comment

So you came in this year (since I am loooking at your ship date)? Might be a little hard to do and be ready to provide a valid reason (e.g. laid off from your civilian job), to justify your request.

Comment

Working...
                      X