X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flu before basic

what do i do? i have a serious flu bed ridden cant do much, and i got basic in a week. i told my recruiter and he just said drink lots of water and still go? i feel as if i shouldn't go now and go at a later time next class.. i am to sick to do any exercise as of right now. any suggestions guys??

Re: flu before basic

Yea, drink water and suck it the **** up.

You will probably be fine in much less then a week if you drink fluids and take it easy. Take some vitamin C too. Don't worry about not getting in any exercise this last week, if you were not prepared to go physically at this point then one more week wont make a difference. I can't remember ever being sick with the flu for more then 4 days, maybe when I was really young around 5-10 years old. In the very rare occasion that I get sick I'm usually over it in less then 48 hours. Even the dreaded swine flu from a few years ago only kept me down for 36. You will be fine, don't let your nervousness get to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah Barker View Post
      what do i do? i have a serious flu bed ridden cant do much, and i got basic in a week. i told my recruiter and he just said drink lots of water and still go? i feel as if i shouldn't go now and go at a later time next class.. i am to sick to do any exercise as of right now. any suggestions guys??
      Rest, drink lots of fluids, rest! Most severe flu symptoms will be gone in a couple of days.

Comment

thanks guys

Comment

i feel as if i shouldn't go now and go at a later time next class.. i am to sick to do any exercise as of right now.
          This type of thinking generally comes when someone actually has other reasons/second thoughts about basic. Could be the fear or the unknown or whatever, but regardless, Juggernaut pretty much summed it up below

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
          Yea, drink water and suck it the **** up.
          People get sick at basic, it's just part of it, so you'll be fine.

Comment

You are also headed straight to reception and I didn't do ANY exercise as reception; I was worried after 2 weeks of not working out I'd have to work to back where I was. A few people got smoked but for the most part, we did NO PT during reception.

You are just sitting around and waiting or in line for some something.

Comment

I got Pneumonia while at reception and one of the flu's (swine or something) was going around. It wasn't pleasant but we all got through it and like Chris36 said, you do very little PT (if any) at reception.

Comment

Like what everyone else said. Just push throught it. While in reception/BCT you will probably get the following: Flu, cold, athlete's foot, jock itch, pink eye. All you can do it try not to infect everyone else, drink water, do pushups and drive on.

Comment

Vitamin C. If you can get a big bottle of tablets, I recommend it. Helped me through OSUT in Benning. Those and cough drops were my only source of candy.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                    Vitamin C. If you can get a big bottle of tablets, I recommend it. Helped me through OSUT in Benning. Those and cough drops were my only source of candy.
                    The Hall's Vitamin C drops and the Blue Halls Cough drops were all we could buy at the PX (the red were allowed in Blue Phase) While everyone else got the cough drops becuase they got ill (or as 'candy') I went through tons of the Vitamin C drops and coincidentally, never got sick while I was at BCT.

Comment

Not drying off enough after taking those two minute showers get allot of people sick while in BCT. Spend 30 seconds less washing and 30 more drying while there to avoid it. I got to talking to someone in the medical field while I was there (had to be a battle buddy to someone going to sick call) and they said it is the cause of allot of the sicknesses in the bays...not drying off enough after the shower. Everyone is in a hurry and most BCT posts are in the warmer south so air conditioning is always running....

Comment

Feeling at your worst can make you feel like you can't possibly make it through the things you normally do. You've got some great advice on here, though! Rest and lots of fluids will go a long way to helping you get better quickly. You'll have some "down" time at reception which means you won't have to push your body too hard just yet.

So relax and rest up! The excitement is about to start! Keep us posted on how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                        X