X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• northern ny guardsmen

Hello, I have just completed my asvab, I got an 84, when I searched the jobs boards a 15w was available in Syracuse, when I spoke to the recruiter about this most he could not find it, then he searched in another database and low and behold it was there. He says he is goi NG to check on this possible vacancy.
    My question is, I really would like 15w or some sort of Intel most, which are not available in NY state. Should I hold out or go with an alternative? Also is there anyone in my neck of the woods that might have any insight into the state of the national guard up here?

Re: northern ny guardsmen

I have often said the Guard is as little or as much as you want to make it. (Assuming you qualify and have the determination and skill set to succeed.) Your "neck of the woods" represents nearly 16,000 servicemembers within the confines of the New York National Guard. They have more general officers than I have fingers, and I would reasonably guess just about every MOS in the Guard's inventory somewhere. Living in NY, you have more opportunity than nearly 85% of the rest of the country.

Comment

Interesting, thank you for the info. Any input if I should wait for the mos I really want, can I switch mos's easily. I would like to make alot of the guard. :-)

Comment

Switching MOS's isn't as easy as changing pants, but it's not impossible. Senior enlisted soldiers many times have several to "choose" from. In the near term however, you'll very likely be serving in your initial MOS for a number of years. Your ASVAB score is great, so you "mentally" qualify for pretty much every MOS we have. I have not looked at the strength numbers of the NY Guard, so I don't know what kind or how many vacancies they have....of course with a small division worth of soldiers, you'd think there would be some variety. You also have to consider location(New York is a big enough place), and probably don't want to have to drive 6 hours to get to drill. NY has almost 60 armories, but they of course vary by type of unit. I'm not familiar with the 15M MOS, other than it's uncommon, and considered sort of a 'specialty' MOS of sorts. Maybe the Army is planning on releasing thousands of unmanned ariel vehicles, but I'm not sure when that's going to happen. Intell can be challening...much like Soduko. The guys that love it...well, love it. It requires a TS Security Clearance, but there are many opportunities. NY has to have a variety of Intelligence jobs. Plus, who doesn't like the AZ Desert?

Comment

A little time in the dessert builds character, right! Lol, yeah my recruiter told me that NYC has had tremendous enlistment rates. I was watching some mos videos on you tube and I'm actually also interested in the infantry an mos I am also interested in special forces but there are no units in NY so that's a no go. I really just wanted to see if anyone had successfully held out for a certain mos and how that decision affected there future career.

I just want to also take a second to thank everyone who posts advice and insight on the forums, after lurking round the forums for a while I learned alot about the guard and aspects of military life in general.

Comment

Working...
          X