X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 weeks

So I am a happy Guardsman in Colorado but have a question about AT (2 weeks...give or take...right). The past two years my unit has gotten 4-5 weeks out of me... I do not have the leave from my job this year and I did two weeks allready, they want three more. If I was deploying of course it would be a seperate issue. My question is, if I have done two weeks and it is not an activation..state or federal is my commitment met! They dodge my questions. Thanks

Re: 2 weeks

I can think of a couple of situations where AT may take three weeks instead of the assumed 2 weeks. For example, AT is 15 days. If you get the weekends off, you can expect to be on orders for three weeks during the week days. Another example would be if a unit planned their AT to fall before and after the beginning of a new fiscal year. This could potentially make your AT 30 days long, but from my knowledge, that's pretty rare. Units can also split up their AT days throughout the year. So, there's many ways your unit can legitimately place you on orders for more than just "two weeks".

With your employment concerns, there is some grey area in the regulation where your Commander can excuse you from training. My advice is to be open and honest with your Commander and your employer. If you have a real conflict, you'll likely be able to find a solution by involving all parties.
    Last edited by RyCass; July 11th, 2012, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
      I can think of a couple of situations where AT may take three weeks instead of the assumed 2 weeks. For example, AT is 15 days. If you get the weekends off, you can expect to be on orders for three weeks during the week days. Another example would be if a unit planned their AT to fall before and after the beginning of a new fiscal year. This could potentially make your AT 30 days long, but from my knowledge, that's pretty rare. Units can also split up their AT days throughout the year. So, there's many ways your unit can legitimately place you on orders for more than just "two weeks".

With your employment concerns, there is some grey area in the regulation where your Commander can excuse you from training. My advice is to be open and honest with your Commander and your employer. If you have a real conflict, you'll likely be able to find a solution by involving all parties.
      Thanks for the reply...My dates will be July 28 - Aug 19th. Not sure what the actual orders look like and don't know about any weekends off, maybe some drill dates at back and front weekends? My issue is I would like to go but just simply really taxing my employer here. Different if I am deployed as allowances can be made for others to come here and assist. I have tried to discuss with PSG and just don't get a lot of traction...lots of Hmmmms and Weeell's. Wanted to know if I could respectfully just say look I can't do that this year. I asked originally if I could use up my remaining two weeks then come back early but no joy there. Thanks again.

Comment

It usually comes back to money. This year if we did the two week FSX we werent required to go to AT. If you went to a school this year many are not being allowed to go to AT. They are letting alot of the Junior Enlisted do both but denying Senior (guessing that comes down to money as well). You can ask if you have met your time. Use your chain. Dont be overbearing but when a sufficient time has passed, let the one you asked in your chain know that you did not receive an answer and inform them that you will need to move on to the next in line.

Comment

Originally posted by tater View Post
          Thanks for the reply...My dates will be July 28 - Aug 19th. Not sure what the actual orders look like and don't know about any weekends off, maybe some drill dates at back and front weekends? My issue is I would like to go but just simply really taxing my employer here. Different if I am deployed as allowances can be made for others to come here and assist. I have tried to discuss with PSG and just don't get a lot of traction...lots of Hmmmms and Weeell's. Wanted to know if I could respectfully just say look I can't do that this year. I asked originally if I could use up my remaining two weeks then come back early but no joy there. Thanks again.
          I understand your frustration. Keep in mind, though, you cannot just say "I'm not going." Per regulation, unless or until your Commander gives you the go-ahead to split train, you are required to attend training regardless of the hardship with your employer.

One suggestion is to enlist the help of another NCO. Perhaps hearing your request from someone else will help your Chain of Command realize your request is legitimate.

Another idea is to have your employer right a letter. This will also let them know you're not just trying to get out of training.

Ultimately, you have an obligation to go to AT and if you don't go when it's scheduled, you'll have to make it up later. It may be better to just complete the training when your orders come in.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
          X