X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needing Help with unit

My name is SPC Yarbrough, and for the last 2 years I have been trying to transfer to a unit closer to me. I moved after my deployment due to my alcohol problem. My unit was in New Braunfels, Tx. That is 6 hrs from where I live now. The closest unit is an hour and 25 mins from my house but I don't have a car due to my alcohol problem. I have been trying to reach this unit but Austin doesn't seem to have this unit's number. Now its time for IRR time and I wanted to know what should I do?

Re: Needing Help with unit

Are you attending drill now? Does the closer unit have an open slot in your rank/MOS? You are about to ETS and finish your last 2 years IRR? Are you flagged or barred from re-enlistment? Over those last 2 years you've been trying to transfer, what has your unit told you regarding a transfer? Your post seems disjointed. Perhaps you could be clearer about your intent and situation.

Comment

They have to let you go if you find a unit willing to accept you. Like all the questions Mongoose772 asked, those are important factors in being accepted to a new unit. If you are within 90days of ETS, atleast for my state, they have to let you pick your next unit and/or MOS even!! So you can change your MOS if for reason you don't like that. If there is a unit close enough for what you would like to do. What is your MOS now?

Comment

Google! You can usually find NG armories under the government "Blue Pages" in the phone book. Find the unit you want to join and contact them yourself!

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by humdawg81 View Post
          They have to let you go if you find a unit willing to accept you. Like all the questions Mongoose772 asked, those are important factors in being accepted to a new unit. If you are within 90days of ETS, atleast for my state, they have to let you pick your next unit and/or MOS even!! So you can change your MOS if for reason you don't like that. If there is a unit close enough for what you would like to do. What is your MOS now?
          Completely innacurate information...all of it.

A commander is not "Forced" to release anyone. Also, it doesn't matter when you ETS, you have no "right" to pick your MOS or unit.

SPC Yarborough, ultimately the responsibility falls on you if you are trying to find a new unit. I'm sorry your having all these personal issues, but unfortunately they dont change your obligations currently. If you need to find a closer unit, find a local recruiter (I'm sure they are closer than 1 1/2 hours away), and they can get you the contact information for units near you. It is your responsibility to contact them and ask if you can transfer to them. You'll need to get an acceptance memo from their commander, and along with that you'll need to submit a letter from you requesting transfer to your parent unit. Now, once you have those 2 things, there is a good chance your unit will release you, but that doesn't mean they "have" to. In addition, it would help if you had letters from disinterested parties such as a pastor or counselor or something stating how it is a hardship for you to stay with your current unit right now because of your personal situation.
          Last edited by RyCass; June 12th, 2012, 10:37 PM. Reason: Minor spelling error

Comment

Really...That ***** for me when I return from the Stan. But, I had a guy from my old unit who I put in touch with a 1st Sgt. He was able to find a loophole in the system, atleast in Pennsylvania, that said if you are within your 90 days of ETS you can go wherever in the Guard and your unit has to sign off on it. As long as you re-enlist in that MOS. That way the state still maintains numbers. Rank can be an issue, as I am in position for promotion to SSG, but to get I would have to leave my Troop. Don't really want to do that. So instead, I am heading to Maryland Army Guard to 1/158th C Troop LRS. If I would get a SSG position in a position within PA, I would have to hold it for 365 days, and most likely extend. But when I return from this deployment I am within my 90 days of ETS so I can go to this unit and my unit has to sign-off. I am just going off of what I have seen and been told in my state. Maybe others differ.

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post

A commander is not "Forced" to release anyone. Also, it doesn't matter when you ETS, you have no "right" to pick your MOS or unit.

SPC Yarborough, ultimately the responsibility falls on you if you are trying to find a new unit. I'm sorry your having all these personal issues, but unfortunately they dont change your obligations currently. If you need to find a closer unit, find a local recruiter (I'm sure they are closer than 1 1/2 hours away), and they can get you the contact information for units near you. It is your responsibility to contact them and ask if you can transfer to them. You'll need to get an acceptance memo from their commander, and along with that you'll need to submit a letter from you requesting transfer to your parent unit. Now, once you have those 2 things, there is a good chance your unit will release you, but that doesn't mean they "have" to. In addition, it would help if you had letters from disinterested parties such as a pastor or counselor or something stating how it is a hardship for you to stay with your current unit right now becahse of your personal situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob Yarbrough View Post
              My name is SPC Yarbrough, and for the last 2 years I have been trying to transfer to a unit closer to me. I moved after my deployment due to my alcohol problem. My unit was in New Braunfels, Tx. That is 6 hrs from where I live now. The closest unit is an hour and 25 mins from my house but I don't have a car due to my alcohol problem. I have been trying to reach this unit but Austin doesn't seem to have this unit's number. Now its time for IRR time and I wanted to know what should I do?
              Have you considered ING instead of IRR? It may provide you with time to work out your personal issues.

SPC Yarborough, ultimately the responsibility falls on you if you are trying to find a new unit. I'm sorry your having all these personal issues, but unfortunately they dont change your obligations currently. If you need to find a closer unit, find a local recruiter (I'm sure they are closer than 1 1/2 hours away), and they can get you the contact information for units near you. It is your responsibility to contact them and ask if you can transfer to them. You'll need to get an acceptance memo from their commander, and along with that you'll need to submit a letter from you requesting transfer to your parent unit. Now, once you have those 2 things, there is a good chance your unit will release you, but that doesn't mean they "have" to. In addition, it would help if you had letters from disinterested parties such as a pastor or counselor or something stating how it is a hardship for you to stay with your current unit right now becahse of your personal situation.
              True. Fortunately, NJ has had more flexibility with this issue since we're perpetually under-strength. We received a few E2/E3 this past weekend and immediately transferred them to a closer IN unit to their home of record. Its certainly not ideal when junior enlisted soldiers are spending more on gas than they are being paid for drill especially when there are, indeed, vacancies at the closer unit. Sure, these soldiers "should" have done more research but that's almost expecting too much from the average private. Unfortunately, the recruiters did drop the ball as well.
              Last edited by Polo08816; June 12th, 2012, 10:32 PM.

Comment

SPC Yarborough, ultimately the responsibility falls on you if you are trying to find a new unit. I'm sorry your having all these personal issues, but unfortunately they dont change your obligations currently. If you need to find a closer unit, find a local recruiter (I'm sure they are closer than 1 1/2 hours away), and they can get you the contact information for units near you. It is your responsibility to contact them and ask if you can transfer to them. You'll need to get an acceptance memo from their commander, and along with that you'll need to submit a letter from you requesting transfer to your parent unit. Now, once you have those 2 things, there is a good chance your unit will release you, but that doesn't mean they "have" to. In addition, it would help if you had letters from disinterested parties such as a pastor or counselor or something stating how it is a hardship for you to stay with your current unit right now because of your personal situation.

There's also a unit finder that can help you get started: http://bit.ly/LUFvOS

I agree with Mongoose. Some clarification would be helpful in giving you a useful response.

Comment

Originally posted by humdawg81 View Post
                  Really...That ***** for me when I return from the Stan. But, I had a guy from my old unit who I put in touch with a 1st Sgt. He was able to find a loophole in the system, atleast in Pennsylvania, that said if you are within your 90 days of ETS you can go wherever in the Guard and your unit has to sign off on it. As long as you re-enlist in that MOS. That way the state still maintains numbers. Rank can be an issue, as I am in position for promotion to SSG, but to get I would have to leave my Troop. Don't really want to do that. So instead, I am heading to Maryland Army Guard to 1/158th C Troop LRS. If I would get a SSG position in a position within PA, I would have to hold it for 365 days, and most likely extend. But when I return from this deployment I am within my 90 days of ETS so I can go to this unit and my unit has to sign-off. I am just going off of what I have seen and been told in my state. Maybe others differ.
                  I have to agree with HR NCO, both gaining/loosing commanders must approve the transfer. Either your command/state has a different local practice or your 1SG made a deal with another unit. The only exception I can think of is using a Recruiting/Retention NCO to get around the normal process.

Back to OP's question, make sure you're not flagged for any reason (APFT, Height Weight ect). Not kicking you when you're down but if the NG is aware of your alcohol issue and has command directed you to do something about it, make sure you're doing something about it. Keep in mind, the gaining commander doesn't want to accept a Soldier that he has to explain something on a slide to his boss.

If all else fails, use your commander's open door policy.

Comment

Working...
                  X