X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Afghanistan right now and ...

I am in Afghanistan right now and I'm trying to find another NG. Unit that is deploying here end of this year of beginning of next year. I want to extend but our S1 is pretty much useless because they only lookout for themselves..

Im have 11B,11C,91B as current MOS's as well as DOD CBCA (customs) certification. Pretty much trying to extend or get with another unit going anywhere.. Afghan, Kuwait, Qutar.. ECT

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: In Afghanistan right now and ...

You need to follow the bouncing ball on your orders. It will be cost involved if you will remain past your re-deployment date. Also, if you deploy again below the elapse of your dwell time; you will need to sign a waiver.

Comment

Originally posted by NRANKIN View Post
      I want to extend but our S1 is pretty much useless because they only lookout for themselves..
      Ahh yes, the old "lets blame the S1" story. Please tell me how it is their responsibility to find you a unit to be able to stay with?

Comment

Yeah, I'm quite confused as to why your S1 needs to cater to you.

I volunteered to deploy. I found a unit. I found the POC. I set everything. Afterwards, I told my S1 to initiate the paperwork. The whole process took 2 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
          Ahh yes, the old "lets blame the S1" story. Please tell me how it is their responsibility to find you a unit to be able to stay with?
          The old let's blame s1 story? I never once said it was their job to find me a unit? Not once , I've asked the S1 numerous times over the past 2 months to point me in the right direction on where to begin the process and what I need to do seeing as I've never extendened a deployment before, and every time I stopped in after a mission they'd tell me to stop back in a couple days later.. That went on for 2 months without a single shred of advice or anything.. And I know they weren't busy bc 9/10 times when I was in there they were on Facebook or watching a movie

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Loki View Post
            Yeah, I'm quite confused as to why your S1 needs to cater to you.

I volunteered to deploy. I found a unit. I found the POC. I set everything. Afterwards, I told my S1 to initiate the paperwork. The whole process took 2 weeks.
            Congratulations... Again where did I say that s1 needs to cater to me? I simply asked them what I need to do to extend and what process I need to follow since I've never done It before and they blew me off for 2 months...

Comment

Drop the attitude.

Why are you going to your S1 and not your Company Admin NCO? They would probably have more of a hook up than S1, not to mention, they are there to help you.

You have your answer, you need to find a unit by yourself. Your unit doesn't need to find a home for you and your battalion staff would even have less of a thing to do with it. It seems like you don't have a good relationship with the members in your S1, so it just means you'll have to work a little harder.

Comment

I found these answers cute

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1201843AAjA9yK

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Loki View Post
                  Drop the attitude.

Why are you going to your S1 and not your Company Admin NCO? They would probably have more of a hook up than S1, not to mention, they are there to help you.

You have your answer, you need to find a unit by yourself. Your unit doesn't need to find a home for you and your battalion staff would even have less of a thing to do with it. It seems like you don't have a good relationship with the members in your S1, so it just means you'll have to work a little harder.

Because that is where my CO , 1SGT, pltn sgt all pointed me to s1 which is why I went there. I only know one of the s1 guys who I'm friends with but his Ncoic has him running errands and pretty much doing his job, and this being his 1st deployment he doesn't know much about that.

I'm use to having to do mostly everything myself to get where I am in the army and my military career.... It's not a problem I was just looking for some advice since I haven't done this before and neither have my friends... I know slots are fewer and fewer here in afghanistan since several fobs are closing and getting handed over to Ana/anp.. If it doesn't pan out I'm just going to reclass to 89D once I'm home to my friends unit who is supposedly deploying end of 2013 but we all know about how rumors are in the army.. Lol

Comment

Yeah, it's pretty terrible when you have to do this type of thing yourself, you're being thrown in to a world where you're not sure if you're doing it right or wrong, since there really is no regulation on it. The only safe way is to remain respectful and honor the wishes of the other units. If they don't want you or if they say they'll contact you, then that's what you get.

If you're **** bent on staying, I would make friends with other companies. Find their PAC or Admin NCO and work from there. I wouldn't involve anyone else that doens't need to know (Truck master, Plt Sgts, XOs, etc). Reason being is that they don't have as tight of a relationship with the CO than the Admin clerk or Sergeant does.

It's going to be a rough journey, but if your own Admin team or S1 won't assist you, then that's the way of the land.

Comment

Originally posted by NRANKIN View Post
                      I am in Afghanistan right now and I'm trying to find another NG. Unit that is deploying here end of this year of beginning of next year. I want to extend but our S1 is pretty much useless because they only lookout for themselves..

Im have 11B,11C,91B as current MOS's as well as DOD CBCA (customs) certification. Pretty much trying to extend or get with another unit going anywhere.. Afghan, Kuwait, Qutar.. ECT

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
                      I agree with the other advice you've received: your S1 will be the person that processes your extension of orders.

I've found a few regulations that discuss deployments and re-deployments, but I've not yet found a direct answer to your question. Here are the references I've come across: Department of the Army Personnel Policy Guidance (Chapter 6), AR 135-100 (this is primarily for AD. However, there may be some overlap for your situation), and NGR 600-200 as a general go-to NG reference. I'll keep looking, and post an update if I've found something more definitive.

As far as finding a deploying unit once you return home, your Readiness NCO should be able to provide you a list of units that have scheduled deployments in the near future. Keep in mind, though, that there must be an opening and need for your job specialty. It looks like you are MOSQ'd in a number of specialties, so this will give you more options. Here's a link to a general unit finder that might be helpful in your search: http://bit.ly/LUFvOS

Lastly, keep at it when requesting information. If you find that you are knocking heads with your S1, try enlisting the help of your Chain of Command. Perhaps someone else approaching them would provide a different perspective; especially if they have more rank than you. One thing to remember when dealing with Admin is that acting defensively will often elicit the exact response you're trying to avoid. For example, if your S1 states that they are busy, ask them for an appointment time, instead of getting angry or pushy. Be respectful of their job, and they are likely to respond in kind.

Hopefully this helps you get started!

Comment

I still think there is confusion on the S1 responsibility. S1 simply processes what is submitted to them, S1 does not go out and find information for you. Also, the readiness NCO will also probably not have a list of upcoming deploying units, thats just not in their lane.

Comment

Working...
                        X