X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranfer from Army Reserves to National Guard

Can I transfer from the Army Reserve to the National Guard after being discharged (honorable)? I'm an officer who has exceeded the MRD for Active Reserve Status.

Re: Tranfer from Army Reserves to National Guard

Originally posted by Nikegler View Post
    Can I transfer from the Army Reserve to the National Guard after being discharged (honorable)? I'm an officer who has exceeded the MRD for Active Reserve Status.
    Is that short for "mandatory retirement date"? LTC Ritchie is probably your best source for the question. Although it's been said that it is hard for USAR officers to transfer into the ARNG compared to the other way around.

Comment

Sir

Your mandatory removal date should be after 20 year commissioned service as a Captain, 24 for a Major, 28 for a LTC, and 30 for COL...OR 60 years of age. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "Active Reserve Status", although I will assume you mean a actively drilling reservist versus (non-AGR), an AGR Title 10 Reservist. Mandatory Removal dates are by definition...well, mandatory. Switching components shouldn't effect an officer's MRD (unless you've resigned your commission and are looking to reappoint in which case it can be adjusted (but not beyond 60). The only time I've heard this come up is if an officer is twice non-selected for promotion, in which case the 28 years (the default), is adjusted down to the current rank. If I'm correct you can NOT submit a MRD extension request AFTER the fact, so unless LTC Ritchie has a rabbit up his sleeve, my guess is that you are out of luck. Anyone else have anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Nikegler View Post
        If you've reached your MRD, then you may not serve as an officer in the Guard. Depending on your age and other factors, you may have eligibility to serve as an enlisted Soldier, and retire at the highest grade honorably held.

Comment

Do you have info about a program in which a commissioned officer reaching MRD can enlist or become a WO in order to continue service?

Comment

It's not a program. It's simply a matter of service eligiblity. For example, a person enters into ROTC at one of the early commissioning program schools at 18, and commissions at the age of 20. Ostensibly, they could have served their mandatory allowable commissioned service (see my previous post above which is grade dependant) by 48 - 50 years old. I believe the notional Colonel could then enlist and serve for another 10 years.

Sir, might I enquire why you would WANT to do such a thing? For an active duty officer it would be absolutely financially counterproductive...for a grey area retiree, you COULD make some argument that it would increase promotion points for drawing retirement pay at 60, and allow you to continue to be eligible for medical beneifts.....but, that's a tough sell.

Comment

Originally posted by ADusk View Post
              Do you have info about a program in which a commissioned officer reaching MRD can enlist or become a WO in order to continue service?
              For appointment as a WO, reaching MRD is a disqualifying condition (NGR 600-101). It is not a disqualifier as such for enlistment purposes, although you may have other factors that would influence your eligibility. When you go to a National Guard recruiter, immediately ask to get his NCOIC involved, because yours is a rare circumstance.

Comment

Actually it would be to complete 20 years AFS. I am AGR now (ARNG-Title 10) with 22 years total service, but 12 years active. At my MRD, I'll have between 16 and 17 years AFS, just shy of an 18 year lock-in as I understand it, unless I make 06 before then and the date is extended by 2 years. Does that make sense? Any suggestions? thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by ADusk View Post
                  Actually it would be to complete 20 years AFS. I am AGR now (ARNG-Title 10) with 22 years total service, but 12 years active. At my MRD, I'll have between 16 and 17 years AFS, just shy of an 18 year lock-in as I understand it, unless I make 06 before then and the date is extended by 2 years. Does that make sense? Any suggestions? thank you.
                  If your goal is to complete 20 AFS, then your best bet is enlisting in the active component. Be advised that the AC might not take you with so much active time already. As a second option, enlist in the Guard M-Day. You could at least continue to earn points, and retire at the highest grade honorably held.

Comment

Sir, THAT is a unusual, totally believable and simultaneously miserable situation! The trick is not only for you to subsequently enlist status post removal, but you also would be best served in a full time status! I will have to research this one

Comment

Working...
                    X