Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day at Medical Command(What to Expect)

Alright Gentlemen,
    I searched for this topic with no luck. I'm new to this and was wondering exactly what to expect when I head down to Medical Command to get Greened up as my my new 1st Sgt put it. . I was told to report in summer PT gear. For me that's usually just a pair of shorts and no shirt but I'll bet he meant that Army T-shirt and shorts. Anyone want to enlighten me on what to expect as far as how long a day. Any fun surprises at Dental, Medical, Vision, Hearing etc.. I'm hoping this isn't as painful as the whole MEPS process was(Which seemed worse the second time I joined). Geeze the PT uniform doesn't even have pockets for my wallet. Is this a fast moving environment or some place I should be bringing a book and some chow to help me survive?

Any input or thoughts for myself or any other ignorant souls who come along would be much appreciated.

Re: Day at Medical Command(What to Expect)

Can you provide an introduction?

I served with a MEDCOM in Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by BeefTrain View Post
      Alright Gentlemen,
      I searched for this topic with no luck. I'm new to this and was wondering exactly what to expect when I head down to Medical Command to get Greened up as my my new 1st Sgt put it. . I was told to report in summer PT gear. For me that's usually just a pair of shorts and no shirt but I'll bet he meant that Army T-shirt and shorts. Anyone want to enlighten me on what to expect as far as how long a day. Any fun surprises at Dental, Medical, Vision, Hearing etc.. I'm hoping this isn't as painful as the whole MEPS process was(Which seemed worse the second time I joined). Geeze the PT uniform doesn't even have pockets for my wallet. Is this a fast moving environment or some place I should be bringing a book and some chow to help me survive?

Any input or thoughts for myself or any other ignorant souls who come along would be much appreciated.
      Although my experience with MEDCOM is really just limited to PHAs, my understanding is that they do a lot of work despite how inefficient PHAs and MEPs may seem to be. I don't think they (direct commission officers - practitioners) have it easy in terms of workload but I may be wrong.

Comment

Sounds like you are just going for PHAs. By "greened up" he probably means that your med status will be green afterward if there are no problems. THe stations that take the logest are hearing and dental. If you have time, make an appointemnt with your civilian dentist for a check up and bring a from DD-2813 with you. It will save you about an hour in the dnetal line when you go for your check.

Also, be prepared to give up some blood and maybe get stuck 1 or 2 times depending on how much you need updates on.

This will take you most of the day so bring some water, a few snacks, and a book. Be preparted to stand in line all day.

Comment

Originally posted by jaydez View Post
          Sounds like you are just going for PHAs. By "greened up" he probably means that your med status will be green afterward if there are no problems. THe stations that take the logest are hearing and dental. If you have time, make an appointemnt with your civilian dentist for a check up and bring a from DD-2813 with you. It will save you about an hour in the dnetal line when you go for your check.

Also, be prepared to give up some blood and maybe get stuck 1 or 2 times depending on how much you need updates on.

This will take you most of the day so bring some water, a few snacks, and a book. Be preparted to stand in line all day.
          Or just do what's quick, leave and take a 4-5 hour break (and not waste life) and come back when the lines are short or non-existent. Obviously it helps if you have buddies that take turns monitoring the lines and calling his buddies back when the lines get shorter.

You're probably not supposed to do this.... but w/e.

It seems that no matter how the powers that be plan this and try to stagger the times it always ends up being a complete clusterf*ck.

Comment

Working...
          X