X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Height/Weight Flagg

My entire military career (8years) I have been taped for height/weight. I have never in my career failed a p.t test. In the Armys eyes I should weigh 30 pounds less than what i do know, I am not fat by any means, I am very active and work out 5 days a week. This last P.T test I had to (go figure), be taped. I just got promoted to this unit and it was my first time being taped at this new unit. Anyways, my results turned out to be 41% body fat, WTF!! I have never ever even been close to 41%. Anyways A few questions, does height/weight alone flag me? Any Also I went to my regular gym and had them do a professional Body fat test with calipers, skin pinching and everything, this to no surprise shows that im only 27% body fat, I had the gym write a letter with the results, do I even have a fighting chance if I present this letter to my Commander?

Thank you all so much

Re: Height/Weight Flagg

H/WT is nototriously unreliable... to the extreme. Given that, I have seen guard soldiers administer it a 100 different ways with a 100 different results.

I would pass this up your CoC and ask for a retape or something to that extent. Your tape records will be available and to see a 14% spike, well, that does say something. Last time I checked, I never saw an individual with a 41% BF pass an APFT.

Comment

Just to add to what the LT said.....shouldn't some kind of qualified medical individual do the H/WT? As opposed to the nearest NCO in the room? Just throwing this out there because I too have seen it done multiple ways. (If NCOs are trained on this in WLC at some point...I apologize in advance.)

Comment

I also agree. Anything over 39% is no longer overweight. It's obese. It sounds like your tape was improperly done. Frankly, the LT is right the tape test has long been the bane of our exsistance, but I have heard of no move to change from it. Get re-taped.

Comment

27% is still over the limit and you would still be flagged. Like it or not, the tape is still the standard.

Ask to see the calculation sheet and do the math yourself. The measurements maybe right but they may have entered the tables incorrectly.

Comment

Sir, the SM is female. Depending on her age, she has anywhere from 30% up to 36% allowable.

But definately check out those calculations. Something smells like a bad MRE.

Comment

What is your actual height and weight? Any pictures to post so we can see a visual to see if you "look" like you are complying.

Anyway, I been ht/wt taped for the past 13 years. I got to this unit when I arrived from Germany and they had me at a inch less which will increase the body percent. We went to three different places to measure and they were not the same. Have a senior NCO with your first shirt and get a second opinion. I did.

Comment

Well I'm right there with you on this one. I'm new to this particular Gun Club myself but I was shocked that all they did is tape my waist and neck and that determined just how fat I am. Personally my neck has been stuck at 15.5" since I weighed about 60 pounds less. They accused me of being 19% recently and I was still appalled. Now I'm doing my best to get an official six pack to make sure the tape results are shown to be completely ridiculous. PS I'm a bodybuilder with a passion for running so of course my arms being larger in diameter than my neck might have something to do with the tests inaccuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
                  Sir, the SM is female. Depending on her age, she has anywhere from 30% up to 36% allowable.

But definately check out those calculations. Something smells like a bad MRE.
                  Ooops, sorry. Should have read a little closer

Comment

Just to add to the conversation, there's a detailed description of how the measurements should be done and calculated in AR 600-9. See specifically Appendix B.

I'm in agreement with the previous advice: get a second opinion! Otherwise, you will be "flagged" and placed in the Weight Control program.

Good luck!

Comment

I've been taped everywhere I've gone. I've just gotten to the point now where I just walk straight to the tape room. It's total garbage because I've passed every PT test and gone over the max for sit-ups and push-ups. I bench 245 and up and squat 350 and up. My chest usually fluctuates between 42 and 45 but I don't work my neck, so I always measure between 15 to 15 and a half. Seems to me if you're obviously carrying more muscle than fat you shouldn't have to be taped. But oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                        I've been taped everywhere I've gone. I've just gotten to the point now where I just walk straight to the tape room. It's total garbage because I've passed every PT test and gone over the max for sit-ups and push-ups. I bench 245 and up and squat 350 and up. My chest usually fluctuates between 42 and 45 but I don't work my neck, so I always measure between 15 to 15 and a half. Seems to me if you're obviously carrying more muscle than fat you shouldn't have to be taped. But oh well.
                        Lay down on your stomach, put some headphones on and a song with a good beat, move your head in a slow pace touching ear to shoulder left and right, forhead to ground, looking up to the cieling, etc. in a "Up, down, left, right" motion until the song ends. That will bulk up your neck. Do it every other day and you're golden.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureEngineer View Post
                          Lay down on your stomach, put some headphones on and a song with a good beat, move your head in a slow pace touching ear to shoulder left and right, forhead to ground, looking up to the cieling, etc. in a "Up, down, left, right" motion until the song ends. That will bulk up your neck. Do it every other day and you're golden.
                          Honestly, that was good advice for working out your neck. I never tried that before except using the neck machine at the post gym. Thanks.

Edit: I have done neck bridges but never kept up with it.
                          Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; May 22nd, 2012, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                            Just to add to what the LT said.....shouldn't some kind of qualified medical individual do the H/WT? As opposed to the nearest NCO in the room? Just throwing this out there because I too have seen it done multiple ways. (If NCOs are trained on this in WLC at some point...I apologize in advance.)
                            ....if E-5s are even sent to WLC...

Tape test is always inaccurate. There's a certain amount of "play" involved with it I suppose.

I could see that if someone passes their APFT, then the taper "gives them the benefit of the doubt" in administering the tape test. If it's someone who consistently fails the APFT, then...

And by benefit of the doubt, I don't mean pencil whipping it.
                            Last edited by Polo08816; May 22nd, 2012, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                              ....if E-5s are even sent to WLC...

Tape test is always inaccurate. There's a certain amount of "play" involved with it I suppose.

I could see that if someone passes their APFT, then the taper "gives them the benefit of the doubt" in administering the tape test. If it's someone who consistently fails the APFT, then...

And by benefit of the doubt, I don't mean pencil whipping it.
                              I have heard that people that are not in my unit...

tape a lot tighter in the waist than in the neck.

Comment

Working...
                              X