X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active first to Guard troubles

I Ets from active duty in a couple months. I origionally enlisted in a active first contract for 19d. Ive been working with the tranistion counseler and personnaly think im getting kinda screwed. After contacting the MN guard we find out that that wont get me a 19d20 slot nor will they give me any e-5 slot for any mos in the state. So if the guard wont give me a slot, does that mean i have to go to the reserves? At this point id be more that happy just to get out because honestly I dont want to have to reclass to a non combat arms mos.

If anybody has any suggestions or can help me get this sorted out, I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Re: Active first to Guard troubles

Originally posted by KP20 View Post
    I Ets from active duty in a couple months. I origionally enlisted in a active first contract for 19d. Ive been working with the tranistion counseler and personnaly think im getting kinda screwed. After contacting the MN guard we find out that that wont get me a 19d20 slot nor will they give me any e-5 slot for any mos in the state. So if the guard wont give me a slot, does that mean i have to go to the reserves? At this point id be more that happy just to get out because honestly I dont want to have to reclass to a non combat arms mos.

If anybody has any suggestions or can help me get this sorted out, I would really appreciate it. Thanks
    I never understood this active first thing. I was always under the assumption that the Guard did this to ensure they will have the bodies for years to come when soldiers decide to go on active duty first and guarantee they will be entering their component.

Nothing wrong with the Reserves because I served with them for 4 years and enjoyed what they offered. Also, do not knock the support MOSes. Like many have said, "do not knock something until you try it".

Comment

Yeah, the whole active first thing was just a way for big army to take advantage of the guards recruiting ability. One of those things that sounded great at the time, but no one really looked down the road to see how it would actually play out.

OP, you're saying the guard won't give "any" position? Combat or support MOS? If they won't give you anything then there should be no reason why you can't just ETS out if that is what you want to do.

Comment

The answer I got from the MN guard was that they had no e5 slots available for any mos. So even if I reclassed they didnt have a slot for me. But on the other hand the reserve component may have a couple slots in which i would have to reclass into, ie MI, plumber, electician ect.
        Now my real question is if im still obigated to serve in the reserves, even though my contract was through the guard, and they cannot accept me due to being over strength?

Comment

OP,

I am assuming this is the case, but did you initally CONTRACT through the MNARNG? You apparently have done admirably on active duty, making E5 in short order. I would think they are contractually obliged to give you a position, but I have never had the opportunity to read the fine print of an Active First contract. I would consider calling 651-268-8919 and ask to be connected to their assigned Inspector General.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
            OP,

You apparently have done admirably on active duty, making E5 in short order.
            They've probably saved him an E1-E4 slot, assuming he wouldn't do so... and that's why he can't get an E5 slot. That's also an assumption, but I'd imagine the Active First contracts are for E1-E4 slots (with the subsequent NG unit).

Comment

They actually don't mention anything about rank in them, and units don't actually save a slot for them at all. It was always just "assumed" there would be a place available for them when they got back. Actually, when the first couple enlisted we really didn't even know what we were supposed to do with them while they were gone. At first they remained on the units UMR until after they completed AIT and were then discharged from the guard as they would sign a new contract at the end of AIT. Then a short while later we began actually just putting them into an excess para/lin on the R&R HQ UMR and they would be discharged from the guard and sign the army contract right when they actually shipped out. So in the later case scenario they were never even on a units UMR.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
                They actually don't mention anything about rank in them, and units don't actually save a slot for them at all. It was always just "assumed" there would be a place available for them when they got back. Actually, when the first couple enlisted we really didn't even know what we were supposed to do with them while they were gone. At first they remained on the units UMR until after they completed AIT and were then discharged from the guard as they would sign a new contract at the end of AIT. Then a short while later we began actually just putting them into an excess para/lin on the R&R HQ UMR and they would be discharged from the guard and sign the army contract right when they actually shipped out. So in the later case scenario they were never even on a units UMR.
                +1. Makes sense as to the OP's current dilemma. Would that be a breach of contract from the state's end? Like Mongoose said, I do not know what is stipulated in the contract. OP should have it and read the fine print. (e.g. If no slots are available, you have the option to IST without problem or transfer to the AR/IRR/ING)

Comment

Well it took a while for this all to pan out, I worked with my career counseler for a couple weeks. What ended up happening was that the MN NG would not take me at all, not as a 19d20 or any mosfor that matter even if I would reclass.
                  So that being said I still had a SELRES obligation for the remainder of the 8 yr contract. I enlisted into the reserves, and will be having to reclass to 37F (psyops).
                  This didnt work out anywhere near how I had planned, and I am still kind of upset about it, but whatever I guess its just a new opportunity.
                  Thanks for the help and info that you all have given me, SGT KP

Comment

i dont know if im too late on this reply .... but if your wanting to reclass as a 19D and get your E5.... I am currently in a 19D instructor/ Drill SGT unit in the reserves located in huntsville Al if that is a path you are will willing to take. We just stood up a couple months ago and are looking to up our numbers

Comment

Working...
                    X