Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volunteer for IRR?

Hello Guard Forums,

I am an E-4 with 3 years of service on a 6 year contract (8 year MSO). I just hired out with the railroad and my work schedule is hectic, with a lot of opportunities for overtime. At this point, going to drill vs. working overtime, I stand to lose a lot of money. I don't want to absentee out or otherwise breach my contract. Is it possible to voluntarily switch to IRR and thus be relieved of drilling obligations? If not, are there other avenues which I could explore such as voluntary seperation?

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

Re: Volunteer for IRR?

Best bet would be to talk to your unit about it. We can't make the decision here, it's something only your CoC can make. Possibly SUTAs or something, but I don't believe switching to the IRR is a valid option.

Comment

Obviously a soldier on active duty cannot leave the service with a better opportunity so why cannot you just finish your contract out?

Do you understand that creating a gap in your unit can hurt their mission?

Comment

Originally posted by bryantm1122 View Post
        Hello Guard Forums,

I am an E-4 with 3 years of service on a 6 year contract (8 year MSO). I just hired out with the railroad and my work schedule is hectic, with a lot of opportunities for overtime. At this point, going to drill vs. working overtime, I stand to lose a lot of money. I don't want to absentee out or otherwise breach my contract. Is it possible to voluntarily switch to IRR and thus be relieved of drilling obligations? If not, are there other avenues which I could explore such as voluntary seperation?

Thanks in advance,
        Matt
        Engage your chain of command with this request. You made a commitment to the Guard, so continue to honor that until it changes. "I will not quit my post until properly relieved."

For best results, ask for something specific, in writing, and address why a regular drill schedule conflicts with your livelihood, and how you have no other good options.

Be advised that IRR Soldiers still mobilize, although that's less common than a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by bryantm1122 View Post
          Hello Guard Forums,

Thanks in advance,
          Matt
          You can request to go into the ING for up to one year for personal reasons.

Comment

Working...
          X