X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19D drills

I enlisted as a 19D and I am just curios as to what they do during drill weekends. Is it similar to what infantry do, completely different, or a mix?

Re: 19D drills

Originally posted by apw5087 View Post
    I enlisted as a 19D and I am just curios as to what they do during drill weekends. Is it similar to what infantry do, completely different, or a mix?
    Emphasis on paticular training may depend on whether or not the CAV Squadron you're assignd to is HEAVY or LIGHT. A good unit will train on Infantry (which also falls under CAV) tasks and drills, but if you're in a HEAVY Squadron you might find yourself training on Bradleys, while Scouts in a LIGHT Squadron might be focuses on HWWMV's and dismounted ops.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoutzOut View Post
      Emphasis on paticular training may depend on whether or not the CAV Squadron you're assignd to is HEAVY or LIGHT. A good unit will train on Infantry (which also falls under CAV) tasks and drills, but if you're in a HEAVY Squadron you might find yourself training on Bradleys, while Scouts in a LIGHT Squadron might be focuses on HWWMV's and dismounted ops.
      Heavy squadrons still exist?

Comment

When we are at home station we conduct zone, area and route recons on terrain boards. Sometimes we go over radio procedures and call for fire. The radio is your primary weapon! We do some room clearing procedures, even though in the scout bible it says we do not do them. We practice in case of possible using a building for better surveillance. When we go to Ft Indiantown Gap for drill, we actually do missions with our Strykers. Annual training is mission after mission.
        SteveLord - I have had the 104th LRS video on my computer for over a year now, must have shown it to everyone I come in contact with who asks about LRS. I love it!! Good Job!! I leave for Afghanistan in a few days, when I return I am trying to find a LRS unit, been trying to get ahold of C Troop 1/158th CAV in Maryland but no luck.

Comment

Originally posted by humdawg81 View Post
          When we are at home station we conduct zone, area and route recons on terrain boards. Sometimes we go over radio procedures and call for fire. The radio is your primary weapon! We do some room clearing procedures, even though in the scout bible it says we do not do them. We practice in case of possible using a building for better surveillance. When we go to Ft Indiantown Gap for drill, we actually do missions with our Strykers. Annual training is mission after mission.
          SteveLord - I have had the 104th LRS video on my computer for over a year now, must have shown it to everyone I come in contact with who asks about LRS. I love it!! Good Job!! I leave for Afghanistan in a few days, when I return I am trying to find a LRS unit, been trying to get ahold of C Troop 1/158th CAV in Maryland but no luck.
          Yes, I've seen you guys roll into Fort Dix before with your Strykers.

PA is a decently competent state relative to NJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post

Yea, def seen you guys rolling around, makes me wish I was back in the cav.... But then I just walk over to my cooks for a hot meal , throw my ruck into the Humvee and remember why I changed lol! Polo is just disgruntled. Don't pay him too much mind :-P. Every state has their good and bad.

Comment

Originally posted by EOrsini View Post
              Yea, def seen you guys rolling around, makes me wish I was back in the cav.... But then I just walk over to my cooks for a hot meal , throw my ruck into the Humvee and remember why I changed lol! Polo is just disgruntled. Don't pay him too much mind :-P. Every state has their good and bad.
              Am I reading this correctly? Our CAV does not having a working Humvee because I'm pretty sure we don't have tanks or strykers?

Comment

Am I reading this correctly? Our CAV does not having a working Humvee because I'm pretty sure we don't have tanks or strykers?
                I messed with strykers and bradleys in AIT and a few times during past ATs... what about non-working Humvees? i'm just saying I like my hot meals and not rucking all the time. lol

Comment

Originally posted by EOrsini View Post
                  I messed with strykers and bradleys in AIT and a few times during past ATs... what about non-working Humvees? i'm just saying I like my hot meals and not rucking all the time. lol
                  Sigh, I wish we had a few more working Humvees. When were you in the CAV?

Comment

We were last there in March for IWQ. Actually got to stay in the barracks this time instead of the field. April was my last ride in the Stryker before deployment. When I get back I am trying to find a LRS unit somewhere close, preferably Maryland unit.

Comment

We were last there in March for IWQ. Actually got to stay in the barracks this time instead of the field. April was my last ride in the Stryker before deployment. When I get back I am trying to find a LRS unit somewhere close, preferably Maryland unit.
                      Seems like a long way from home for just IWQ.

You know MD has an SF unit right?

Comment

Yup I know, been in contact with those guys alot. I just don't feel like going away for that long for schools at one shot like that. I have a wife and 3 kids at home. I would love to but I want Army Recon Course, pathfinder, mountain warfare school and Ranger. I hold a Ranger slot now but I leave in a week for the Stan. But who knows, might change my mind after the deployment and go SF.

Comment

Yup I know, been in contact with those guys alot. I just don't feel like going away for that long for schools at one shot like that. I have a wife and 3 kids at home. I would love to but I want Army Recon Course, pathfinder, mountain warfare school and Ranger. I hold a Ranger slot now but I leave in a week for the Stan. But who knows, might change my mind after the deployment and go SF.
                          Best of luck and stay safe!

Comment

Working...
                          X