Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
BIG SNAFU....getting additional schools after signing enlistment papers? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIG SNAFU....getting additional schools after signing enlistment papers?

I'm in a really tough situation right now. I leave May 15 for 19D OSUT at Ft. Benning. I just realized that I will end up missing the first 2 weeks of school in August due to this. I had previously calculated that I would be missing only one week of school. Its pretty humiliating that I made every effort possible to prevent any issues in my planning, only to miscalculate something so simple... I'm stressed out right now, worrying whether or not to take a semester off and end up sitting around, or to make the best of it and hope i don't fail.

I'm considering asking my recruiter if there is a slim chance of getting any slots for additional schools even though i have already singed my life away. I figure that way i can at least take a semester off and still make the best of it. What are the odds of me getting a slot for a school in between now and my ship date? what kind of schools could i possibly get slots for?

Re: BIG SNAFU....getting additional schools after signing enlistment papers?

I don't see many brand new Soldiers getting sent to schools of any kind. While you're welcome to ask, I don't expect that you'll get anything. I would not make a plan predicated on getting a military school after AIT.

You might look into doing some courses via distance learning, whose schedules might prove more amenable. In addition, the local community college may have courses that transfer.

Comment

First two weeks in college usually isn't that big of a deal, especially with lower level classes. You could probably work it out with your professors ahead of time so they know you will miss the first two weeks. They might be willing to give you an extension on assignments during those weeks etc. Don't hold your breath for military schools. Many soldiers in the guard wait most of their careers for chances to go to schools, even non-hooah schools. Like LTC pointed out, online courses might be a good choice for the fall.

Comment

I never question LTC's judgement, he knows all.. but, I missed 2 weeks of my senior year coming back from OSUT and it made no difference whatsoever. sure, i was a little stressed getting home and packing to go to school in a day, but that was nothing new after the last 16 weeks. Also, since you are going to still be in that go go go mode, you aren't going to have a problem, guaranteed. In the classes I missed, 4 of them were 400 level, and I still managed to pull off the highest GPA of my college career that term

Comment

When I attended split-op my second year, I ended up missing the fall semester. It was not the end of the world. I worked making some extra money and then started in January. Now and days with online schooling and instructors bending over backwards for military students; you should work up a good plan to attend this year.

Comment

Im in the exact same situation. I leave May 15th and don't get back till long after my college has started classes. But with my major i have to delay my graduation a year so I'm just taking off the semester and getting a full time job then taking some gen eds in the spring to lighten my course load.

Comment

Working...
            X