X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Changes to AR 670-1

SMA left our FOB today and talked to many of the senior NCO leadership and was asking for feedback on uniform changes relative to the ACU. He discussed about putting the ranks back on the collar and took a vote in which the majority wanted a return to it. One NCO said that with the weapon body slinged; that it covers the rank (soldier might not have his PC on). He acknowledged so let us see what happens. There is also discussion on getting rid of the mandarin collar.

I am for that change.

Comment

We should do it like the Marines, just rank and name no other frills. This would go a long way toward unit cohesion and discipline. No one would look down on someone for not having a combat patch, CIB, air assault, or any other designation. I think the Marines have it right on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
        We should do it like the Marines, just rank and name no other frills. This would go a long way toward unit cohesion and discipline. No one would look down on someone for not having a combat patch, CIB, air assault, or any other designation. I think the Marines have it right on this one.
        As a former Marine, I knew many Marines that looked down on other Marines haha.

The ones who went to airborne wear their wings. And the Marines removed the unit patches after WWII and they do have the CAR.

Branch Insignia was a deep Army tradition. They should bring it back. Thank goodness for losing the berets with the ACU unless a Commander requires it as special events.

Comment

Every Marine I meet has impeccable military discipline. I think simpler is better.

Comment

I only have problems with these two:

-Sideburns will not extend below the top of the ear.
            -Soldier will be clean shaven on and off duty.

I personally look more professional with my sideburns at about mid ear opening, that is the spot that gives a natural fade for me. It wouldn't took right to have them above my ears. and I always let my facial hair grow out between drills.

Comment

I'm going to try the "inverted" high and tight which is guess is "low and wide" one of these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                I'm going to try the "inverted" high and tight which is guess is "low and wide" one of these days.
                I had to give up on the high and tight when I started losing my hair. Genetics were not kind to me in that regard.

Comment

Back in BCT there was a reception holdover guy in our barracks...yeah, one of those types. I never quite understood how someone can get off a bus and immediately become suicidal, but somehow there were a ton of these when I went in. And seriously, they just look sad...sad to be there, and sad to look at. I feel bad for those people to this day. Anyways, this one guy must have lost his mind--he got a hold of AR 670-1 and read the part about the hair coming below the ear, and then proceeded to give himself a bowl cut, convinced that we were "all out of regulations." No joke, this guys head was shaved below the top of his ears.

Come to think of it, doesn't make any sense to take his shoe laces but let him keep a razor, but I'm glad they overlooked it because that was funny.

Comment

When I reclassed, all my soldiers came to me asking me to cut their hair, because their PSG wouldn't phase them up unless they were baldish. Guess the PSG thought it'd be funny to make the soldiers jump through hoops, but I acquired a trimmer and all of them showed up to his office bald as can be. It wasn't a pretty sight.

Comment

Looks like the standard we've had here since I got here....
                      173rd Airborne 1/503rd Legion
                      09-Present

Comment

I'm sorry but there is NO WAY I'd shave every single day for the rest of my life in civilian clothes. Besides the fact my face can't take that abuse, on my days off I probably never leave the house. Are they going to send someone around everyday to check faces? I would LOVE to get paid for that... Ding ****.. "Yes, I'm here to ensure that the Soldier in this household is shaved even though it is his day off... No I'm not kidding.. Please don't tell me to do that... I'm just doing my job..."

Comment

LMAO! Thats right Sir!
                          Just cause its the standard doesn't mean everyone is going to uphold it to the letter...I go on post, on or off duty though, I make sure my **** is right, Im not trying to get kicked out of the PX on Saturday with out my beer, Biguns Magazine, and fresh brewed Starbucks!

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                            As a former Marine, I knew many Marines that looked down on other Marines haha.

The ones who went to airborne wear their wings. And the Marines removed the unit patches after WWII and they do have the CAR.

Branch Insignia was a deep Army tradition. They should bring it back. Thank goodness for losing the berets with the ACU unless a Commander requires it as special events.
                            '

I once had a SGT walk up to me and say "wow, you a badge ***** sir? Why don't you save some for everyone else?" I only have 3 first off lol(Airborne, Air Assault, Rigger). I'm amazed at peoples reactions to badges... It's just something saying you completed a school, just like a degree or anything else. Who else should get that mad?!?! lol. Yea he got locked up. It wasn't necessary. I always have and always will wear my badges. I don't give a **** what other people think about me wearing them.. I'm proud to have gone to those schools and do what I did. I've gone to plenty of schools that don't give badges too, so I never understood what the big deal is.
                            I digress though. I completely agree we should go back to rank on the collar, and DEF go back to wearing branch insignia. When I was enlisted I thought that was such a cool and great thing when you saw it come by. It sparked conversation, and helped others gain knowledge in other branches then may have not really known about before. I hope they do bring it back...

DOWN WITH VELCRO!!
                            Last edited by EOrsini; May 21st, 2012, 06:31 PM.

Comment

I'd like to know when they're going to make our Winter PTs better and when they're going to allow us to wear five fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Rescue View Post
                                I'd like to know when they're going to make our Winter PTs better and when they're going to allow us to wear five fingers.
                                winter PTs Better? Just make them ALL better lol. And don't count on the 5-fingers ever being authorized...

Comment

Working...
                                X