Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conditional Release Help

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Conditional Release Help

    I'm homeless and I'm in the North Carolina National Guard. I submitted a conditional release form to go to Active Army 3 months ago and after endless hounding of my chain of command and the National Guard Bureau I've still yet to receive a response back. I don't even have any transportation to make it to my drills.

    I've explored every possible avenue to include Congressional intervention with my state Senator. I'm about to be under a bridge and am out of options. My state doesn't seem to care. I'm beginning to think the National Guard doesn't care for their soldiers what so ever. They want me to be patient, but how can I? Being freezing cold in December under a bridge isn't an ideal way to go about exhibiting patience.

    If anyone has any ideas, please help.

  • #2
    Re: Conditional Release Help

    you must have a pretty nice bridge that has internet access. Ok...sorry, all jokes aside, it sounds like you have done all you can to get the conditional release. Have you explored other avenues, such as getting with a unit in NC that is mobilizing?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Conditional Release Help

      There is one unit already in Iraq and my unit isn't scheduled for any deployments, neither are the others. I figured I already made it this far and submitted all the necessary paperwork so there's no point in backing down and seeking other options. I'm not on the streets just yet, but that's where I'm headed. I've contimplated sleeping outside several times. I'm not going to go into great detail about my situation on here though. I just don't see why they wouldn't release me. To me it seems immoral. Frankly, I don't see how they get people to reenlist. I just don't know what else to do. Hopefully my Senator can pull through, he's my last beacon of hope. If they don't release me, I'm afraid that I'll get kicked out dishonorably for not being able to make it to my drills. I don't know what I'm going to do. None of them seem to want to help me. I've made about 50 calls and wrote about 15 letters to various people...no progress has been made.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Conditional Release Help

        Originally posted by NCGuardSoldier View Post
        There is one unit already in Iraq and my unit isn't scheduled for any deployments, neither are the others. I figured I already made it this far and submitted all the necessary paperwork so there's no point in backing down and seeking other options. I'm not on the streets just yet, but that's where I'm headed. I've contimplated sleeping outside several times. I'm not going to go into great detail about my situation on here though. I just don't see why they wouldn't release me. To me it seems immoral. Frankly, I don't see how they get people to reenlist. I just don't know what else to do. Hopefully my Senator can pull through, he's my last beacon of hope. If they don't release me, I'm afraid that I'll get kicked out dishonorably for not being able to make it to my drills. I don't know what I'm going to do. None of them seem to want to help me. I've made about 50 calls and wrote about 15 letters to various people...no progress has been made.
        Why wouldn't they want to release you? Perhaps because they have thousands of dollars invested in your training already. Have you talked with them about getting rides to drill? Cant they work out getting you a ride from someone who lives near you? I know you said you didnt want to see other avenues because you've done all the leg work for the release, but if that doesnt work out you are going to have to look towards other options.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Conditional Release Help

          Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
          Why wouldn't they want to release you? Perhaps because they have thousands of dollars invested in your training already. Have you talked with them about getting rides to drill? Cant they work out getting you a ride from someone who lives near you? I know you said you didnt want to see other avenues because you've done all the leg work for the release, but if that doesnt work out you are going to have to look towards other options.
          Is there anyway to pay it back? Because I'm willing to. One guy in my area offered me a ride once, but I can't be his burden all the time. Surely they don't expect me to sit and be broke and bum rides off people for 6 years? I'm flat broke. I've searched endlessly for jobs borrowing my dad's car (which he no longer is allowing me to use). I haven't been offered any of the jobs, but even if I did I'd have no way of getting there. Excuse the language, but I'm F'd in every single way due to my obligation to the Guard. Sure, they don't want their money to go to waste, but I'll be replaced easily at the rate the Guard in my state is growing. Because of all this, I can't even be an effective member of their ranks, especially with this weighing on my mind. Is a small fraction of their funding really worth ruining my life to them? I seem to be worthless in their eyes anyway, apparently. Man, I just hope my Senator can help me.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Conditional Release Help

            What city do you live in? Is there a local Red Cross or Salvation Army? Have you contacted your Chaplain? There are multiple resources out there to help out with temporary shelter.

            Do you a have a skill set that will get you even a "entry level" position somewhere? I'm sure you do surely there are some temp agencies in your area or seasonal positions to land a job somewhere?

            Start with your local employment agency then go from there....Good luck.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Conditional Release Help

              Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
              you must have a pretty nice bridge that has internet access. Ok...sorry, all jokes aside, it sounds like you have done all you can to get the conditional release. Have you explored other avenues, such as getting with a unit in NC that is mobilizing?
              Haha. Soldiers will always make light out of a dire circumstance.

              OP, unfortunately a conditional release is not obligatory based on your circumstances. I will talk to your COC to see if they find you some ADSW in the interim until you sort things out.

              Are there any family members availabe to assist?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Conditional Release Help

                You mentioned borrowing your dads car before, cant you live with him? Are you saying he would rather you live under a bridge?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Conditional Release Help

                  That's the thing. I have no family here I can count on. I'm currently living at my dad's house, but he doesn't want me here anymore. The only reason he lets me crash here is because I promised him that I would be going to Active Army in or around December. He kind of gave me a deadline saying that if it doesn't happen, or I don't find some other prospects for getting on my own two, then he would kick me out. He's fed up with me being a burden to him and wants me gone like YESTERDAY. I don't mean to be, but I have no choice. I try not to cost him any money and try to live without freeloading, such as not eating or borrowing his car (he also needs it for work). Honestly, my obligation to the National Guard has ruined my life.

                  I understand that they don't HAVE to release me. I'm just kind of holding onto my last ounce of hope because my Readiness NCO told me that they WOULD. He said I just "have to be patient". I don't want to sound too demanding, but I've been patient enough. I can't keep living like this. Little small time things here and there are fine and put a little bit of change in my pocket and all, but it's not going to get me a car or a place to live and other necessities I need to survive. I sincerely believe that Active Duty is the best option right now. I'm not seeking it entirely for the wrong reasons, though, such as just wanting a paycheck. I want nothing more than to serve my country full time at the same time. I've explained my situation in great detail several times to SEVERAL different high ranking officers...none of them seem to care about the well being of their troops. I don't get it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Conditional Release Help

                    Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                    You mentioned borrowing your dads car before, cant you live with him? Are you saying he would rather you live under a bridge?
                    He used to let me, but now doesn't want to anymore. Obtaining it at the time when I was able to was a stressful task unto itsself. See, he works 24 hour shifts often and he needs it to get to and from work. So me being able to use it for Drill was entirely at the discretion of the slim availibility of it. I don't think he does, but he's at his breaking point. He's kicked me out a couple times and I stayed with a neighbor, but that's just making me one more persons' (my neighbor) burden. It makes me feel like **** even having to go over there because I shouldn't have to be their responsibility. I know it's not the Guards' fault, but I kind of feel like I'm somewhat being forced to continue life this way due to the handcuffs they got me in with the obligation.

                    I was real hopeful that they'd release me sometime soon. That hope is diminishing with every day that my letters/calls go unresponded to. I've been in contact with a few retired SGMs, but there is only SO MUCH they can do to help. The people that have all the pull (the Officers) are the ones that I can't get through to. I've broken the chain of command due to having no options left and I have a feeling that pissed them off. An 0-3, e-7 and an e-8 couldn't do anything for me other than make reccomendations. So instead of sitting on my *** and waiting for nothing, I moved up and sent letters to everyone to include my Governor, Adjutant General, Senator, Col's and LTC's. Not sure, but I have a feeling that the Officers weren't too happy about that. Surely they don't expect me to not be diligent and just sit and wait?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Conditional Release Help

                      Does your unit have a barracks on site? That someone in your unit could put you in for a little while? Or a room in the armory? Both my units in IA and NJ have hooked up a soldier, so he could get back on his feet.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Conditional Release Help

                        NC GuardSoldier, Iím not an eligibility specialist so I canít tell you what your eligibility status may be but I can tell you there are several types of VA programs to help with homelessness. As a program director I have worked with several guardsmen in your position with no adverse impact to their ongoing careers.

                        North Carolina has four VA Medical Centers:
                        http://www.asheville.va.gov/
                        http://www.durham.va.gov/
                        http://www.fayettevillenc.va.gov/
                        http://www.salisbury.va.gov/

                        You are going to be looking at a whole cluster of programs including Domiciliary, HUD/VASH, Grant/Per Diem, Veterans Outreach Program (VOP), Health Care for Homeless Veterans (HCHV), and Vocational Rehabilitation. If you have been deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan your easiest point of access is likely to be the OIF/OEF Outreach coordinator and if not you should probably try and get in with the HCHV program.
                        Best of luck to you.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Conditional Release Help

                          Originally posted by NCGuardSoldier View Post
                          That's the thing. I have no family here I can count on. I'm currently living at my dad's house, but he doesn't want me here anymore. The only reason he lets me crash here is because I promised him that I would be going to Active Army in or around December. He kind of gave me a deadline saying that if it doesn't happen, or I don't find some other prospects for getting on my own two, then he would kick me out. He's fed up with me being a burden to him and wants me gone like YESTERDAY. I don't mean to be, but I have no choice. I try not to cost him any money and try to live without freeloading, such as not eating or borrowing his car (he also needs it for work). Honestly, my obligation to the National Guard has ruined my life.

                          I understand that they don't HAVE to release me. I'm just kind of holding onto my last ounce of hope because my Readiness NCO told me that they WOULD. He said I just "have to be patient". I don't want to sound too demanding, but I've been patient enough. I can't keep living like this. Little small time things here and there are fine and put a little bit of change in my pocket and all, but it's not going to get me a car or a place to live and other necessities I need to survive. I sincerely believe that Active Duty is the best option right now. I'm not seeking it entirely for the wrong reasons, though, such as just wanting a paycheck. I want nothing more than to serve my country full time at the same time. I've explained my situation in great detail several times to SEVERAL different high ranking officers...none of them seem to care about the well being of their troops. I don't get it.
                          Stevelord provided an excellent suggestion. But I do not agree that the National Guard ruined your life. You were a grown person to enlist in the Guard and obviously didnt foresee your current situation. Hindsight is 20/20 and I bet you would have went active duty from the get-go.

                          We do not now the type of soldier you are and honestly that will make a difference with your COC bending over backwards for you. For example, if you are a soldier that shows up late to drill or doesnt give one hundred percent at drill then the motivation to conditional release you is not there. But there is a humanitarian issue on helping one of our own. Again, try your state's chaplain or even talk to a NG recruiter in your area since he is probably around during the week.

                          You should have your leader's phone numbers as well and they should be able to assist you. Give them a call.

                          I am a full-time soldier and I feel your pain but you need to take control of the situation.

                          Good luck and keep us posted.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Conditional Release Help

                            Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                            Stevelord provided an excellent suggestion. But I do not agree that the National Guard ruined your life. You were a grown person to enlist in the Guard and obviously didnt foresee your current situation. Hindsight is 20/20 and I bet you would have went active duty from the get-go.

                            We do not now the type of soldier you are and honestly that will make a difference with your COC bending over backwards for you. For example, if you are a soldier that shows up late to drill or doesnt give one hundred percent at drill then the motivation to conditional release you is not there. But there is a humanitarian issue on helping one of our own. Again, try your state's chaplain or even talk to a NG recruiter in your area since he is probably around during the week.

                            You should have your leader's phone numbers as well and they should be able to assist you. Give them a call.

                            I am a full-time soldier and I feel your pain but you need to take control of the situation.

                            Good luck and keep us posted.
                            Yes, I would have went Active from the get-go, but I can't go back in time. I just got to progress forward and do whatever it takes. I think I'm a good soldier and my Readiness NCO who's helping seems to think so as well. I'm pretty well liked and do whatever is asked of me and then some. My CoC doesn't know me (other than what's on paper) and I don't know them. They're kinda like the Wizard of Oz...and I can't see not no way no how.

                            I appreciate the help and genuine concern, guys, but this one seems to be out of our hands. I'm losing hope. I'll just keep waiting I guess.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Conditional Release Help

                              Originally posted by NCGuardSoldier View Post
                              Yes, I would have went Active from the get-go, but I can't go back in time. I just got to progress forward and do whatever it takes. I think I'm a good soldier and my Readiness NCO who's helping seems to think so as well. I'm pretty well liked and do whatever is asked of me and then some. My CoC doesn't know me (other than what's on paper) and I don't know them. They're kinda like the Wizard of Oz...and I can't see not no way no how.

                              I appreciate the help and genuine concern, guys, but this one seems to be out of our hands. I'm losing hope. I'll just keep waiting I guess.
                              CPT Pilgrim provided great links but I am disturbed that you are not linked to your CoC. You are obviously working with an active-duty recruiter to get your transfer going. Talk to him as well. At least you have a live soldier at your disposal.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X