X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 68WP1W1

Hello, I joined and I received the mos 68WP1W1 (I think that's how you say it) it wasn't the job I wanted, but it seems like it's a cool job. It was either that or be a truck driver lol. My unit is a long range reconnaissance and surveillance unit. Could some one please tell me more about what I would be doing? I know I'm "Special Operations" but could some one explain what makes me different then just the regular 68W (besides jump school) What would I be doing? Please tell me anything and everything you know about the MOS I am very curious and would love to hear more. Thank you very much.

LRS is not SOF, they are more high speed by nature than most conventional military units but still conventional. I wouldn't go around telling people you are special operations because that isn't the case. You are a medic who will perform the same duties as a medic in an infantry company. The biggest difference will be the mission LRS performs and how they integrate you into that mission. That will depend on that units standard operating procedures. Search and read up on LRS, then read on what medics do in a combat arms line company ie infantry to get an idea for your role with your MOS.

Comment

Count your lucky stars that you actually were offered that position. To be honest, I am not sure how you are getting that with no prior service/experience. Normally, you would have to try-out for a LRS unit or at least conduct some kind of interview.

The main difference for a 68W with a W1 Additional Skill Identifier (ASI) is that the position is coded/slotted for Special Operations Combat Medic Course or SOCM, which is conducted at the JFK SPECIAL WARFARE CENTER AND SCHOOL, at FT Bragg, NC. As to when you would attend SOCM is anyone's guess. But, I'm guessing it would be up to the LRS unit after you have proved yourself.

SOCM is training reserved for medics assigned to 75th Ranger Regiment, LRS units, Air Force PJs, independent Navy Corpsman in SEALs/SWCC and MARSOC and the first phase of medical training required for Special Forces Medical Sgts/18D.

Back in my days in LRS, there were no 68Ws assigned to the actual teams. The 68W were assigned to the Detachment/Company HQs and provided medical support and training to the team members.
      Last edited by SF Hunter; March 10th, 2014, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Yes I have done some reading on the mos. To be honest I'm not really sure how I got the position either, seems like tons of people want the job and can't get it. My recruiter seemed pretty excited about it and said she would do that job if she could. The job seems really cool and I am very interested in it. I would love to save my fellow soldiers lives. My friend (who is another recruiter) is special forces, he told me I'd be going out into the field with a few other men and do recon on the enemy, he said I'd be out in the field for short periods of time with my fellow men. Does that seem accurate? Also since I am with a LRS unit are my chances of deployment any higher than a regular 68w? I'm asking because I would love to be deployed. One last question for now, since I am a "combat" medic do I get to fight the enemy with everyone else in the event we actually get engaged? Or will I most likely be running around tending to people? Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

Comment

As to whether you go out in the field with the teams is going to depend on the unit and required support if any. Like Explosive Hazard stated earlier, its up to the unit's SOPs and whether they integrate 68Ws or not. A LRS units main mission is to not be seen by the enemy in order to conduct surveillance and reconnaissance. In the event of compromise, then the team will engage the enemy if needed with the sole purpose of breaking contact and disengaging as quickly as possible.

Please research the mission and structure of LRS as was recommend earlier.

Comment

Thank you both, I appreciate the help. I'm going to start researching it right away. Once again thanks.

Comment

If I wanted to find out this information would it be best to call the unit? I'm having trouble finding anything worth value on Google

Comment

• SF Hunter
                SF Hunter commented
                Editing a comment
                Conduct a search for: FM 3-55.93 (Formerly FM 7-93) Long-Range Surveillance Unit Operations

I've been reading up on the manual (Thanks by the way) and I have a better idea of what it is they do. If I want to find out how the particular unit I am going to integrates medics into their mission, would I need to call that unit? Or is their another way to find out thanks.

Comment

• SF Hunter
                SF Hunter commented
                Editing a comment
                I do not recommend you cold call the unit directly, especially if you haven't even completed BCT or AIT. I suggest you ask your recruiter to see about scheduling a unit visit or interview.
            Working...
            X