X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlisting in an MOS other than one comparable to your civilian career

Hi, I'm an 18 year old male, enlisting in the (Ohio) National Guard in the upcoming weeks. I went to a 2 year joint-vocational school for Chef & Restaurant Management training in my upperclassmen years of high school, I have been working in high-end restaurants for about 2 years, and I also am Servsafe certified, as well as being certified in food safety in the state of Ohio.
    Here's the thing, I've done a lot of homework on the 92G MOS, and talked to a few current Guardsmen who work with 92G's. The general consensus seems to be that its more of a "poop & scoop" type job, no real glory, and its kind of like being a cafeteria lunch-lady (No disrespect to all the people in said MOS). Is there anyone who can shed some light into that? On the other hand, my grandpa was a Master-at-Arms in the Navy, my father was an MP in the Army Reserves, and my whole childhood I pretty much dreamed about following in their footsteps and enlisting as an MP. My dad likes the idea but also thinks it would benefit me to enlist as something that I can continue with outside of the Army. But really, my heart is telling me to go 31B, fulfill my duties to the best of my ability, and when I'm discharged, that would be the end of my police career. Is this a reasonable idea, or would I be better off just saying screw it and enlisting as a 92G?
    I don't know how accurate and up to date the website job finder is, but it said there is a 92G opening in the city I live in, and a 31B opening in the town my dad works in about an hour away. I have no problem traveling a little further if I would enjoy that MOS a lot better.
    Thank you for your time.

To be blunt? Yes, 92G tends to be a joke MOS in the army. A lot of the Cooking is done by civilian contractors to begin with which means you'll end up spending more time as a grunt...minus the bad ass factor. The nice thing about the guard is that you don't necessarily have to choose an MOS that matches your civilian career. I'm studying to be a systems analyst, but I'm a cav scout in the guard. ones is nerdy the other is recon.

The important thing is to follow your heart and your head, but most of all research the mos before enlisting. I'm proud to be a 19D and I wouldn't trade it for the world. My only regret is not going active and pushing for airborne.

Comment

to be blunt? yes, 92g is kind of a joke mos in the Army. A lot of the cooking is done by civilians to begin with. You'll likely end up being trained as a grunt when you get to your unit...minus the cool-guy combat arms factor. That's what its like in the Active duty army at least.

The nice thing about the guard is that you don't have to choose an mos that matches your civilian skills, but its smart to do sometimes. I'm studying to work in the information systems field, but I'm a cavalry scout in the guard. The important thing is to follow what your heart and your head tells you, but research the mos first. I'm proud to call myself a 19D. my only regret is not going active and pushing for an airborne slot. I've learned a lot cool stuff and played with a lot of dangerous and expensive toys.

If you want to be an MP then go for it. try looking into a combat arms or combat support mos.

Comment

Every unit I've been if they had cooks and the ability to cook, the unit cooked the majority of its meals. I mention the ability to cook because a lot of units are in older buildings without a functioning kitchen.

Cooks who did a great job of cooking were pretty popular, bad cooks not so much.

Contact a local recruiter and see if you can visit a local unit.

Comment

Working...
        X