Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many MOS can you hold in the guard?

i just seen multiple soliders of the guard state they hold multiple MOS how many can you hold at once?

Re: How may MOS can you hold in the guard?

A soldier can only hold one MOS as their "primary". Which basically is the job/MOS they are currently assigned and qualified to do. But, allot of soldiers do have several former/secondary MOSs that they could potentially revert back too.

For example, I initially held the MOS of 11B (Infantryman), then when I was selected for Special Forces and finished the SF Qualification Course, my primary MOS became SF Engineer Sgt. (18C) and my secondary MOS was 11B. Then later in my career I became an SF Assistance OPS/Intel Sgt. (18F) as my primary, then 18C became my secondary and 11B is really kind of an alternate MOS at that point.

There really is no limit to the number of former MOSs a soldier could possess. Chief Kemosabe probably has about 10+ former MOSs. But, the Army at that point will usually only recognize the last three held MOSs, due to the amount of time normally passed since holding the former ones.
    Last edited by SF Hunter; October 2nd, 2013, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
      A soldier can only hold one MOS as their "primary". Which basically is the job/MOS they are currently assigned and qualified to do. But, allot of soldiers do have several former/secondary MOSs that they could potentially revert back too.

For example, I initially held the MOS of 11B (Infantryman), then when I was selected for Special Forces and finished the SF Qualification Course, my primary MOS became SF Engineer Sgt. (18C) and my secondary MOS was 11B. Then later in my career I became an SF Assistance OPS/Intel Sgt. (18F) as my primary, then 18C became my secondary and 11B is really kind of an alternate MOS at that point.

There really is no limit to the number of former MOSs a soldier could possess. Chief Kemosabe probably has about 10+ former MOSs. But, the Army at that point will usually only recognize the last three held MOSs, due to the amount of time normally passed since holding the former ones.

I took a look at the link you had at the bottom of your post, I understand that National Guard Special Forces do attend the same schooling but are they in the same training units? Example Special Forces are broken into small units no larger than 12, are all 12 while you are in school National Guard, or will you have some active duty soilders in your class as well?

Comment

Most of those who hold multiple MOS either had a deployment that required it/trained them for it or they took a promotion that required it and they reclassed at some point to maintain that slot for that rank. The military doesn't just let you expand your military resume at will.

Comment

Originally posted by Tatu2010 View Post
          I took a look at the link you had at the bottom of your post, I understand that National Guard Special Forces do attend the same schooling but are they in the same training units? Example Special Forces are broken into small units no larger than 12, are all 12 while you are in school National Guard, or will you have some active duty soilders in your class as well?
          You do not attend the required training "to become" Special Forces as a unit. It is completed as an individual and you would be with both active duty SF candidates and Army National Guard candidates.

Comment

Working...
          X