X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASVAB Scores for 19D

Hey everyone, I just heard from my recruiter that thereís a 19D spot in a nearby unit if I can qualify for it. Iím tentatively going to MEPS sometime next week.

Iíve been out of high school for ten years, and even at the height of my scholastic powers math befuddled me. Iím much better at English. In addition, I was never interested in or skilled at anything involving mechanics or electronics.

Iím a bit worried that Iím not going to score high enough for the CO portion of the test, which seems to require high marks in all of my weakest subjects. Iíve been studying my butt off for hours every night and day, so I know Iím going to pass overall. I merely want to qualify for my job.

I know the Internet isnít always the best source to go to since everyoneís experiences will be unique. Everyone seems to think only the stupid guys get combat jobs, but I donít think thatís the case. Are there any opinions out there regarding the difficulty of the combat portion of the ASVAB? I think itís the math, shop, and something elseÖ

Thanks!

Re: ASVAB Scores for 19D

CO = AR (Arithmetic Reasoning) + MK (Math Knowledge) + AS (Auto & Shop)

Comment

Originally posted by NYGuardRecruiter View Post
      CO = AR (Arithmetic Reasoning) + MK (Math Knowledge) + AS (Auto & Shop)
      To add to what he said:

ASVAB Score Required: 87 in aptitude area CO.

Security Clearance: None

Strength Requirement: very heavy

Physical Profile Requirement: 111121

Other Requirements

ēNormal color vision required
      ēCorrectable vision of 20/20 in one eye and 20/100 in other eye.
      ēThis job is closed to women

The "stupid guys" do not get combat jobs. Infact, the "stupid guys" don't get in at all. If you're in the military you have AT LEAST a HS Diploma, if not more. However, some people are more skilled at certian things than some other people, as you have already admitted yourself. So for some people, they have to work harder than some to succeed at the same jobs or tasks. If you study hard as you have been, you'll surprise yourself at what you can accomplish. Good luck.

Comment

Update: just went to MEPS for the ASVAB, physical, and enlistment. Pulled off an 85 on the ASVAB and besides some earwax flying colors on the physical. Thanks for all your help!

Comment

If you got an 85, you can do anything you want pretty much, is 19D something you WANT to do, or something you felt you HAD to do?

Comment

Originally posted by Zero259 View Post
            If you got an 85, you can do anything you want pretty much, is 19D something you WANT to do, or something you felt you HAD to do?
            The HAD part was joining up, which is something I always thought was insurmountable for many reasons. 19D sounded interesting and fun. I am choosing it because, as I hinted at in my first post, I am more bookish than martial. I wanted to choose something completely adverse to my nature to become a more complete person...if that makes sense. Yeah, I could have gone with a lot of other jobs but a Cav Scout just sounded so much better than what I do for the other 28 days out of the month.

I refused to do anything admin oriented because I work a boring office job. And I didn't want to do anything hands on because, like I said, it's not interesting to me. But 19D piqued my interest and stuck with me throughout this entire process. When I asked for it and got it I was shocked. From what I gather, getting your first choice is not very common in the military.

EDIT: Actually, I've been sitting here mulling over your awesome question, Zero, and it made me realize: I DID have to get Cav Scout. I didn't choose it because I thought it would be easy to qualify for, as evinced by my starting this topic. It IS important to me to choose a hard job that is going to take a lot for me to accomplish. Wow. Thanks for the realization!
            Last edited by SPIRITSRHIGH; September 26th, 2013, 03:22 PM.

Comment

QUOTE=SPIRITSRHIGH;191496]EDIT: Actually, I've been sitting here mulling over your awesome question, Zero, and it made me realize: I DID have to get Cav Scout. I didn't choose it because I thought it would be easy to qualify for, as evinced by my starting this topic. It IS important to me to choose a hard job that is going to take a lot for me to accomplish. Wow. Thanks for the realization![/QUOTE]

That's what us high speed NCOs are for.

I've never known a recruiter to just list every single MOS available; though I'm sure some do. But I would encourage you to visit this link here. That will give you an idea of what's available to you and might set you up for success with an MOS to your liking.

Comment

I never understood this whole "combat guys are dumb" mentality. All Marine Corps Infantry jobs require a GT of at least 80, and the guys that I served with are some of the smartest I've ever met. They don't let idiots do FDC for mortarmen, Recon needs a 105. To put this in reference, to be an Army WO, you need a GT of 110, that's just a few questions away from being a grunt in the infantry... Hell, I scored over 120 in every section, 136 GT, and I went infantry. I don't really see the point in being a Marine if you aren't going to be infantry.

For all branches the score you need is usually around 80-90 for the majority of MOS's, again just a stone's throw from the dumb grunts.

/rant

I see someone said CO of 87 for Cav Scout, military.com says 90. Not a huge difference, and not sure how accurate my list is, but that's definitely an achievable goal.

Comment

Working...
                X