X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 on the asvab. what should i do?

so i took my asvab today, and i'm debating what i want to do. i have my B.S already, i'm 24/m, wife and 18mo son. i was originally wanting to go into a tech job, since thats what my civlian career is (server/systems administration) but now im not sure what i want to do. the recruiter said i qualify for any MOS i want, but i have no idea what i want to do. Whats the best thing in the military to do? should i consider other brances as well? i'm looking for full time employment. i'm still not sure what all the acronyms are, but i'm looking them up. its a big decision so i want to make sure i make the right one

standard scores:
    GS: 61 AR:64 WK:72 PC:66 MK:64 EI:68 AS:77 MC:72 AO:59 VE:71

my line scores (for army) are
    GT: 138 CL: 139 CO:145 EL:146 FA:145 GM:145 MM: 152 OF:147 SC: 144 ST: 143

thanks!

Re: 99 on the asvab. what should i do?

You will have to check your state unit's vacancies for what jobs you can sign up for.

Comment

Originally posted by jenyus View Post
      so i took my asvab today, and i'm debating what i want to do. i have my B.S already, i'm 24/m, wife and 18mo son. i was originally wanting to go into a tech job, since thats what my civlian career is (server/systems administration) but now im not sure what i want to do. the recruiter said i qualify for any MOS i want, but i have no idea what i want to do. Whats the best thing in the military to do? should i consider other brances as well? i'm looking for full time employment. i'm still not sure what all the acronyms are, but i'm looking them up. its a big decision so i want to make sure i make the right one

standard scores:
      GS: 61 AR:64 WK:72 PC:66 MK:64 EI:68 AS:77 MC:72 AO:59 VE:71

my line scores (for army) are
      GT: 138 CL: 139 CO:145 EL:146 FA:145 GM:145 MM: 152 OF:147 SC: 144 ST: 143

thanks!
      If you are looking for full time employment why are you joining a part time organization?

Comment

the national guard has full time positions as well

Comment

ORLY? Please, tell us more.

With such a high ASVAB score, I'd expect you to infer from realitycheck's post that perhaps you misunderstand the nature of those full-time positions. Here's a clue: you aren't getting one fresh out of IET.

By the way, I got a 99 and I was an 88M.

Comment

A small decimal of a fraction of the National Guard Force is full time, and 99.9% of those positions are for folks who are SGT/E-5 and higher. You will need other means of employment for at least 2-3 years, if not 4-5 before you could even apply for those positions. Positions that are beyond highly sought after and routinely get over 50 applications for one single position. I'm sure your recruiter told you about all the full time oppurtunities, but I highly doubt he shed a realistic light on it.

Comment

You should do whatever you want to do in the military. If you like/have interest in it, you probably can be good at it, and be successful. Since you have your degree, why not go Officer? That's going to get you the most money out the gate. But still don't expect a full time job. As an example I've been applying for jobs for 2-3 years and have maybe been selected for a handful of boards in which someone else was chosen. If that's what you need to have right now go Active Duty.

Comment

Relax guys. We all know this is probably one of those things recruiters like to pitch to further entice people to join.

OP - You can go with what jobs (part time) are availalble for your state. Know that fulltime jobs are never guaranteed and must be applied for just like a civilian job. And you can't even begin to think of that until you return from BT/AIT.

Comment

Okay thanks for the responses guys, I'm going to talk to army, navy, Air Force and coast guard as well. Thanks for your input everyone, I know that I won't necessarily get the full true story from my recruiter, so that's why I wanted I put from people who have more unbiased information.

If I did decide on the NG I'm not sure if I would go in e4, get the ait that I'm most interested in and then apply to OCS. if I was planning on turning the NG into a career I'd probably go straight into OCS, but I really want the AIT.

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for your help everyone! Navy offered me a pretty sweet enlistment and 2 year bonus in their nuke program, looks like I'll be doing that. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X