X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35F/35P Utah National Guard

I just wanted to post a couple of questions, in regards to these two specialties and my current debate.

I would like to do something in the Intelligence field and love the idea of learning another language. I have been reading and getting mixed messages about enlisted vs. officer and what that would mean for me being able to pick my MOS. If I go through the NG as an officer, will I know my specific (eg 35f) MOS prior to "signing the dotted line"? I don't really have an interest in joining as an officer, making a wish-list, and then seeing what happens lottery style, to determine what my job in the NG is. I want to know exactly what I'm doing and what my title is, prior to making my decision.

Any additional information from anyone in these two jobs is much appreciated. I'm in the debate stage of joining or not joining, or looking at another service branch to do something Intel wise.

Thanks!

Re: 35F/35P Utah National Guard

I am a 35F, and I can tell you that if you go enlisted, pending your background investigation and passing of the AIT course, you will receive your MOS when "signing the dotted line."

Comment

Officers do not get a choice of their MOS, per se.

When you sign the line, you are given a spot as a 09S. You go to BCT and then whatever flavor of OCS you are selected for. At that point, your branch is assigned to you based on the Order of Merit List (how you perform) and needs of the Army. So, you could get Intel or you might get something completely different.

Now, lets say you do branch Intel as an officer, you will become a 35D (All Source Intel Officer). That's it (save for a few other specialty slots) and your assignment could be HUMINT, SIGNINT, AS2 or a host of other things. Again, you don't get to choose... per se.

Comment

Originally posted by utcr View Post
        I just wanted to post a couple of questions, in regards to these two specialties and my current debate.

I would like to do something in the Intelligence field and love the idea of learning another language. I have been reading and getting mixed messages about enlisted vs. officer and what that would mean for me being able to pick my MOS. If I go through the NG as an officer, will I know my specific (eg 35f) MOS prior to "signing the dotted line"? I don't really have an interest in joining as an officer, making a wish-list, and then seeing what happens lottery style, to determine what my job in the NG is. I want to know exactly what I'm doing and what my title is, prior to making my decision.

Any additional information from anyone in these two jobs is much appreciated. I'm in the debate stage of joining or not joining, or looking at another service branch to do something Intel wise.

Thanks!
        To piggyback TxIntel, you're not going to get a guarantee.

There is a slight exception in that some states make you get a Letter of Acceptance from a specific unit, for a specific slot, before you begin your OCS journey. If you are allowed to go Federal OCS this is common practice; however, Accelerated and Traditional OCS are more often than not left up to your performance during your class and Order of Merit.

Most states will try to stick within your top 3 choices, but that doesn't always happen based on needs of the state.

Comment

Working...
        X