X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Police

I am serious about joining the National Guard-Military Police, especially after talking to many people I know through my work and social life about his/her experiences. I have always wanted to be in a branch of the Military, and I feel the National Guard is best for me. However, when I talked with my family, they did not share the same enthusiasm towards this as I did. I was basically given an ultimatum to choose the military or my family because they assume I will be deployed right after boot camp/training. They tell me it means I will never be coming home, but I feel differently.

I have heard many different things about what Military Police do when they are deployed, and I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on what they actually do. From what I understand I will be mostly on base for my duties, but at some point will also be sent out for combat. I also have seen that many deployments to the Middle East and other areas have been canceled or postponed. Because I currently work for a police department full time, I do not exactly want to be deployed. However, I know it is part of my duty, and I would proudly go. I was hoping to have a clearer answer so I can work on getting my families support.

Also, my recruiter told me that she was able to get me the last hard slot available for the Military Police. I am not quite sure what that all entails, and if that changes anything with certainty of being in the Military Police (not being moved to another job), deployment, etc.

Thank you!
    Last edited by kmkennon; August 3rd, 2013, 11:00 PM.

Re: Military Police

Thier job delpoyed can vary wildly. Some run convoy security, teaching/mentoring local police, detention operations, on base patrols, personal security detalis for senior officials, performing customs inspections, manning check points ect. So much depends on the unit and the unit's mission.

Comment

Here is a photo that I took while my MP squad was pulling security near an attack on an Iraqi oil pipeline.

I understand the concerns about deployment and its good to look beyond the 25 meter target but the chances of you deploying to the war zone is probably less than 50 percent. Your state/unit rotation may have happened, or probably has not mobilized. Not every NG unit has deployed for the GWOT. If you want to serve your country as an MP and learn that side of the house while bringing your experience to the table; then I will say go for it.

Your recruiter's remarks may be embellished but what she may be saying is that MP positions in that unit are probably at or over-strength and there is some availability at this time.
      Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; August 3rd, 2013, 11:24 PM.

Comment

I always like how the media reports as if the war was ending next week.

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nightly...5676/#52665676

Comment

Originally posted by kmkennon View Post
          Also, my recruiter told me that she was able to get me the last hard slot available for the Military Police. I am not quite sure what that all entails, and if that changes anything with certainty of being in the Military Police (not being moved to another job), deployment, etc.

Thank you!
          Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
          Your recruiter's remarks may be embellished but what she may be saying is that MP positions in that unit are probably at or over-strength and there is some availability at this time.
          Your recruiter has reserved a slot for your BCT/AIT dates. Unless it's changed, you're good to go with this MOS!

Comment

Working...
          X