X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35F or 31B1? Need help!

I am joining the Ohio National Guard and am trying to choice between 35F Intel Analyst and 31B1 Military Police. I have an interest in law enforcement and in national security outside the military and as far as benefits are concerned the SLRP is a must for me. I was told by my recruiter that 31B1 does not have the SLRP, that only an MOS of 6 or below has this benefit and 31b1 is a 7, but I am continuously seeing it advertised online as having it. Can anyone help clarify this for me? Also, in your guys opinions, what is the better MOS and which would look better on the resume?

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by Curious614; July 25th, 2013, 08:26 AM.

Re: 35F or 31B1? Need help!

Depends.

IMO/E, if you are going to go into law enforcement, most agencies are going to send you to their "academy" and would prefer to not have to undo the Army training (b/c yes, it is different). If you have a 35F background, you'll be applying for a LE position with a TS/SCI in hand, which a lot of federal agencies like to see...

Comment

I agree with TxIntel. 35F has the ability to open up some doors in the intelligence community which can crossover to some cool LE jobs just based of the clearance. 31B in the guard is pretty far from actual law enforcement. You might as well be 11B.

Comment

Civilians tend to think that MP stand for "Military Police".

It actually means "Multi-Purpose"....

Comment

I've never heard the "Multi-Purpose" part before. Makes perfect sense to me though. Seems like I was leaning toward the correct option. I went ahead a locked the 35F down for my swear in next Monday. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Well if you can still change your mind, 31B would be the better pick. More actual training and if it's a MP company an actual decent chance at promotions.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
              Well if you can still change your mind, 31B would be the better pick. More actual training and if it's a MP company an actual decent chance at promotions.
              "I have an interest in law enforcement and in national security outside the military"

The OP isn't too interested in promotions.

He is looking to get into LE & National Security... at which, being a 31B would not do him much use. The Army training in general, the analytical skills gained as a 35F (and hopefully some time in the sandbox) and the associated TS/SCI will do him far more good.

Comment

What is a 31B1? Is he just referring to 1 level? I thought he was just to suggest an ASI.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
                  "I have an interest in law enforcement and in national security outside the military"

The OP isn't too interested in promotions.

He is looking to get into LE & National Security... at which, being a 31B would not do him much use. The Army training in general, the analytical skills gained as a 35F (and hopefully some time in the sandbox) and the associated TS/SCI will do him far more good.
                  Ahhh to be young and naive again . OP, you need to enjoy what you're doing on a drill weekend or you're not going to get that much out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                    Ahhh to be young and naive again .
                    Would you please clarify, to whom you are referring to as "Young and naive"?

Comment

I'm not sure what the 1 at the end stands for. I think he's stating that I am young and naive so no worries TxIntel 1978. I'm still leaning toward 35F at this point. I've got plans to attend a state certified police academy after my AIT for 35F, so I really don't see any real benefit at this point to being a 31B1 that would help me gain training and experience that I can get at home. I figure with the certification, the training and clearance from the guard, and with my 4 year degree and eventual masters in homeland security I'm working on, I'll manage to find something.

For those of you that actually offered insight and helped me, thanks again.
                      Last edited by Curious614; July 26th, 2013, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Curious614 View Post
                        ... masters in homeland security...
                        I'd discourage you from paying for a degree in this area. I got something similar and have found it to be relatively useless, other than a check-the-box thing needed to qualify for certain govt jobs/promotions. Sure, I found it interested and enjoyed it, but it's definitely not worth going into thousands in debt over....unless you go somewhere like SFS at Georgetown and SAIS at Johns Hopkins.

Employers are looking for hard skills; I think you'd be better served learning a language or focusing on something more technical.

Comment

Originally posted by enceladus View Post
                          I'd discourage you from paying for a degree in this area. I got something similar and have found it to be relatively useless, other than a check-the-box thing needed to qualify for certain govt jobs/promotions. Sure, I found it interested and enjoyed it, but it's definitely not worth going into thousands in debt over....unless you go somewhere like SFS at Georgetown and SAIS at Johns Hopkins.

Employers are looking for hard skills; I think you'd be better served learning a language or focusing on something more technical.
                          THIS...+1000000000

Do not get a degree in homeland security UNLESS you are already working in homeland security.

Comment

Originally posted by enceladus View Post

Thanks for the heads up! I have enjoyed what I have taken so far and it does seem to give me a more knowledgeable background that can serve as a foundation for a good career, but I completely understand where you're coming from. I'll probably still complete my masters though, especially now since it will be at almost no cost to me.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                            X