X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for advice on an MOS

I'm hoping to enlist in the Guard soon, and will probably be in RSP until next May. I want to finish BCT and AIT, and then start college Spring Semester while also being part of a school's ROTC program. Im pretty smart (3.9 GPA, 29 ACT) and in great physical condition as well. Here are the MOSs I'm considering:

11X Infantry- I can finish OSUT by early September. That's a bit longer of a break then I want, so how competitive is additional Airborne or Air Assault school? How competitive is 11X in general for Guard units?

91B Vehicle Mechanic- Cool MOS and job training? but not really the challenge I'm looking for in the physical sense. Also, the 10 week BCT and 17 week AIT is cutting it a bit close for me.

13F Forward Observer- Like the aspects of the MOS and 10 week BCT + 7 week AIT is about perfect for me, time wise.

Any suggestions on these MOSs? Any more you guys would suggest that can be completed in June-December?

Re: Looking for advice on an MOS

What you haven't counted on yet is the fact that all of this might not go according to your perfect plan. There may or may not be schools for those MOSs that start at the exact time you need them to. You need to talk to a recruiter and ask him to talk to state to see what is actually doable for your specific time needs.

Comment

Originally posted by NextElement View Post
      I'm hoping to enlist in the Guard soon, and will probably be in RSP until next May. I want to finish BCT and AIT, and then start college Spring Semester while also being part of a school's ROTC program. Im pretty smart (3.9 GPA, 29 ACT) and in great physical condition as well. Here are the MOSs I'm considering:

11X Infantry- I can finish OSUT by early September. That's a bit longer of a break then I want, so how competitive is additional Airborne or Air Assault school? How competitive is 11X in general for Guard units?

91B Vehicle Mechanic- Cool MOS and job training? but not really the challenge I'm looking for in the physical sense. Also, the 10 week BCT and 17 week AIT is cutting it a bit close for me.

13F Forward Observer- Like the aspects of the MOS and 10 week BCT + 7 week AIT is about perfect for me, time wise.

Any suggestions on these MOSs? Any more you guys would suggest that can be completed in June-December?
      The only fields that have any real potential relevance to your career as an officer (since you don't yet know your branch assignment) are combat arms. I would specifically recommend you go the 11 series route.

Job training? You're going to college. That's your job training.

I was an 88M before I went to OCS and branched Infantry. I'm proud of the tour I did as a transportation soldier but if I could do it all over again I'd have chosen 11B. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey Dirtbag View Post
        The only fields that have any real potential relevance to your career as an officer (since you don't yet know your branch assignment) are combat arms. I would specifically recommend you go the 11 series route.

Job training? You're going to college. That's your job training.

I was an 88M before I went to OCS and branched Infantry. I'm proud of the tour I did as a transportation soldier but if I could do it all over again I'd have chosen 11B. Good luck.
        This.

I work at Aberdeen Proving Ground which is primarily a research installation. The members of service that are O-6+ seem to mostly have started out as basic branch combat arms officers.

As far as job training, major in something that makes you employable such as an engineering or computer science. That long with a secret clearance should make getting a decent paying private sector gig not that hard.

Comment

My advice to any new Soldier is to think! The MOS you choose now should be something you can learn to build a career with later. 11B is very respectable but if you decide to leave the National Guard after your first enlistment, you will have not have spent time in an MOS that will help to build your future.

Comment

If you're long term goal is ROTC, then 11B or 13F would be good choices. It would give you some experience with tactics when you're doing leadership lanes when you're at camp.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
              If you're long term goal is ROTC, then 11B or 13F would be good choices. It would give you some experience with tactics when you're doing leadership lanes when you're at camp.
              +1.

Knowing battle drills well in preparation for STX lanes is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Nyberg View Post
                My advice to any new Soldier is to think! The MOS you choose now should be something you can learn to build a career with later. 11B is very respectable but if you decide to leave the National Guard after your first enlistment, you will have not have spent time in an MOS that will help to build your future.
                Come again?

If you want to build your future (and I take it that you mean "find a job"), then where you go to school and what you decide to major in matters more than what MOS you were in the National Guard.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                  Come again?

If you want to build your future (and I take it that you mean "find a job"), then where you go to school and what you decide to major in matters more than what MOS you were in the National Guard.
                  Yeah, that. You get you civilian sk1||z in college, not AIT.

Comment

Met with my recruiter today. Very high speed guy, and 11B and 11C slots are available in Indiana right now! I have an application packet to fill out, and need to take in my SSN, birth certificate, etc.

Any advice on choosing between 11B or 11C? Are both fairly similar or should I just choose whichever is more convenient to drive to?

Comment

Met with my recruiter today. Very high speed guy, and 11B and 11C slots are available in Indiana right now! I have an application packet to fill out, and need to take in my SSN, birth certificate, etc.

Any advice on choosing between 11B or 11C? Are both fairly similar or should I just choose whichever is more convenient to drive to?
                      All 11C are also 11B..but not vice versa. More flexibility...easier advancement.

Comment

Originally posted by realitycheck View Post
                        All 11C are also 11B..but not vice versa. More flexibility...easier advancement.
                        Easier advancement for 11C? But I'm assuming a lot more weight to carry around with the mortar?

Comment

Easier advancement for 11C? But I'm assuming a lot more weight to carry around with the mortar?
                          By that time in your career that will really care about advancement, you'll be SMP'ing and won't care anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                            By that time in your career that will really care about advancement, you'll be SMP'ing and won't care anymore.
                            True. There were 3 11B spots, one 11C spot, and a couple 19D spots that I'm interested in as well. I took the practice ASVAB and got a projected score in the 90's, so I qualify for all of these. I think I'll just take whatever fits in my schedule best and is available at an armory within a reasonable distance.

Comment

It's easier advancement only because you can be on the promotion list for 11B or 11C.

Comment

Working...
                              X