X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Police question

I know Marines have two different types of MP's. Field which can be deployed and PMO's who stay in the states. I was wondering if the National Guard has something similar?

Re: Military Police question

Nope.

Comment

I was just at FLW and shared a shoppette location with some OUST MP's.....the Army has just begun to change the training to Garrison only now...the training has gone from 18 weeks to 15, but you no longer get to do any of that hooah hooah psudo-11bravo training. Strictly garrison, or on post patrol type cop duties.

One cool thing they have added is optional POST testings, which means if you put in a little extra study effort while you are there, you get to take the POST test for becoming a regular cop, which is a plus plus for Guard members. I was told the test was acceptable in every state except California and NY. Here in Arizona if you are POST certified you skip the academy and can go straight to getting a job!

Comment

Originally posted by Solrider View Post
        I was just at FLW and shared a shoppette location with some OUST MP's.....the Army has just begun to change the training to Garrison only now...the training has gone from 18 weeks to 15, but you no longer get to do any of that hooah hooah psudo-11bravo training. Strictly garrison, or on post patrol type cop duties.

One cool thing they have added is optional POST testings, which means if you put in a little extra study effort while you are there, you get to take the POST test for becoming a regular cop, which is a plus plus for Guard members. I was told the test was acceptable in every state except California and NY. Here in Arizona if you are POST certified you skip the academy and can go straight to getting a job!
        I find this hard to believe since out of the five main MP missions; are tactical operations and is doctrine. You just don't cut that out. Maybe the field exercise portion is cut but working a MK19 and .50 cal isn't. I fought as an MP in Iraq and served four years as an active duty MP before becoming a Warrant Officer and will ask some of my buddies. OP, Marine MP students attend the Army MP school and yes, by MTOE/TDA we have both. When I was in the Connecticut Guard, I met an MP doing garrison duties but its a rarity. His unit is a tactical. I will post that info soon.
        Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; June 5th, 2013, 09:48 AM.

Comment

The MP OSUT will never count for POST certification. There is some thought as to taking back more garrison LE from DA Police but that's about it. IHMO, it'll be years before you really see proficient MPs for the garrison LE mission.

Just for some more info, a lot of academies don't transfer well. Even within the federal system, someone may have to repeat an academy (for uniformed patrol) if they change agencies or take additional classes. Most states won't take federal law enforcement academies for POST certification.
          Last edited by RedLeg; June 5th, 2013, 10:33 AM. Reason: Added more info

Comment

Hey ya'll I'm just passing on the info that I was told, on several different occasions by different MP recruits. I am not an MP.

And I didn't say the MP school would count for POST cert....I said they had the opportunity to spend extra time, if they wanted to, to study and take the POST certification exam at the end of their training. It is strictly optional. And considering I was sitting next to a kid who was actually studying for the exam, I have to think this is true.

Comment

Personally, from passing the United States Border Patrol Academy with strong FLETC instruction and Army MP school; Army MP school does not give enough training for garrison law enforcement. There is limited instruction in criminal law and what is similar between civilian LEO and military is the instruction in batons, handcuff procedures, patrol and radio techniques and good scenarios. But two months of MP school does not equate to USBP of over 4 months and NYPDs of 6 months police academy training.

POST is good but I had a couple of buddies test for LE jobs in Florida and passed or paid to go to a police academy and became cops.

http://www.wood.army.mil/usamps/ <--website

http://www.loc.gov/rr/frd/Military_L...operations.pdf <--this was a big block of instruction at FLW.
              Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; June 5th, 2013, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X